ARB Compressor install - backing plate thingie? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm finally getting around to finishing the install on the ARB compressor - thanks for all the ideas in my previous post (months ago).

I'm wondering how you guys actually attached it inside the engine bay - Did you use the little backing plate that came with it? If so, is it sandwiched between the inside fender and engine compartment or did does the compressor just sit on it or did you even use it all?

Thanks,

Cardinal FJ60

The plate is for sandwiching in between sheet metal, fenders, etc, makes is alot harder for the bolts to pull out...

I like to used little chunks of rubber hose to make isolaters for the compressor, seems to quiet it down a bit and hopefully keep everything a little tighter...

I mounted mine on a pedastal I made from threaded pipe and some flanges. I bolted it to the frame near the charcoal canister at a couple of points that were already threaded. I had to drill some new holes in the flanges to match up with those in the frame and in the base of the ARB compressor, but I didn't have to drill into my japanese sheet metal...I'm not too happy with the air hoses flopping around the way I have it, so I'm thinking about running one air hose from the compressor to an air manifold mounted on the firewall or fender. The solenoid valves and air hoses to each locker would come off the air manifold.
air compressor post 3 small.JPG
air compressor post 1 small.JPG

I made an L bracket out of 1/8" steel, then mounted on the flange at the top of the firewall on the passenger side, sandwiched between the plate and the compressor with rubber isolators. Works really well and didn't take up a lot of space.

Compressor is in...

2badfjs fabbed up a cool mounting bracket for me...but I have a question.

It's currently attached to both the fender and the frame - should I be concerned with the body needing to flex independant of the frame?

Thanks!

CardinalFJ60

CardinalFJ60 said:
It's currently attached to both the fender and the frame - should I be concerned with the body needing to flex independant of the frame?

I made a battery mount like that and over time it broke - twice. You might want to consider adding some sort of bushing at the frame OR at the fender to allow for flex between the two. Especially front fenders, they flex independent of the frame quite a bit

Last edited:
Thanks

cool, thanks for the heads up. That just what I needed to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom