ARB Bumper Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got quoted from 4WD Drive parts to have an ARB Bumper and Winch (Smittybilt X20) installed on an FJ. They quoted me 6 hours labor for the whole thing. This seem suspicious to me, is this a correct amount of labor or are they trying to shaft me?

Thanks.

i wish mine would have gone that fast. when i put on my ARB and M8000 it took all day, we had airtools etc. Still had to grind to fit the winch on even though the instructions said it was bolt on plug and play. i think that's fair.

I’ve installed 6-8 aftermarket front bumpers and winches on my own and friends FJC’s, and 6 hours is very fair for both.

ARBs are a PITA because of their mounting system. You have to remove old bumper without breaking anything. The you semi-mount the new bumper and then line the brackets up on the frame, drill the holes in the side of the frame and then mount the brackets. Then remount the bumper. It takes a minimum of two people to do this. 6 hours labor is fair.

Do you have other places in town or local cruiser club members that might want to spend a sat messing around with it in a driveway and cooking out and drinking beer.

The other posts do make a good point on how time consuming it is and I see that 6 hours being fair. I don’t have a free 6 hours this time of year as most don’t with life in the way.

Years back when I took mine to the local off-road shop they told me to just take it to a body shop and gave me who they used.. they said if I left it with them they would just have body shop install it. I did not have a winch and I don’t remember any drilling involved with that bumper.
If you think you might could save some money shop around install prices, most of the time I’ve found places have similar prices and I ended up wasting my time price shopping.
Good luck with the install post up pics once done

I had my front ARB installed at a shop and they did it in about 5 hours with much experience. I have no problem with the fit and the smittybilt winch works fine, that was included in the 5 hours. It helps if you have a forklift as my shop did. I think the old adage " you pays your money and you makes your choice" Best going in with as much info as possible, I would not have installed that front ARB myself. Also the shop installed and hooked up the fog lights and the turn signals and the running lights in that 5 hour time.
I replaced my rear bumper with an ARB and it took me 3 hours but is a good fit but you have to watch out for the hitch receiver when walking around the back of the vehicle as it sticks out a few inches, ouch for the shins >)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom