ARB Bull Bar: Having Trouble Wiring Lights (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems like only a few short months ago I was having issues wiring up the ARB rear bumper and here I am having problems with the indicators on the ARB bull bar. Could be a pattern šŸ¤£

Here's where I'm at so far: bumper is installed, fog light kit is installed, and the indicator lights are mounted. Using the three-wire loom which came with the kit I've tried a couple of different options and hopefully I'm only missing something small.

This is what I've tried:
  • on the ARB indicator wire loom on the detachable side of the harness: red to green on the parking lamp harness, green to green/yellow on the indicator harness, and black to black/white on the indicator harness.
    • Amber comes on with parking/driving lights, the indicator light doesn't blink
    • Side note: the wire colors in the ARB install manual are different from what is on my 2013
  • on the ARB indicator wire loom on both sides of the harnesses: red to green on parking lamp harness, green to green/yellow on indicator harness, black to black on indicator harness
    • Amber comes on with parking/driving lights, the indicator doesn't blink
  • on the ARB indicator wire loom on the side of the harness closest to the headlight: red to green on the indicator harness, green to green/yellow on the indicator harness, and black to black on the indicator harness
    • This has the same effect as the other one, amber comes on with parking/driving lights, the indicator light doesn't blink
For now, I've been using the scotch locks because I didn't want to start clipping and soldering all the wires until I knew it was working correctly. Here's a shot of the current configuration
current config.jpg

Hoping @cruiseroutfit might see this and be able to go into more details on what he did here (or does for other customers getting this bumper installed). Though I'm happy to hear anyone's advice on what I'm doing wrong.

I'm following here .. as I'll be doing this in a month or 2. Did you install a winch, if so which one?
Just a thought, as I have not done mine yet; may want to get the signal lights working first, and then figure out the running lights.
On my other ARB front bumper it has a separate wires for signal and running just like the rear bumper did.

Yes, I installed a winch. Went with the Warn VR10-S.

ARB only included one set of wires for signal and running lights. The instructions only differ if you have HID/LED or not.

Following as well. Which ARB model did you get? I am looking to get one for our 2015 LC. Leaning toward the Deluxe, but am tempted to see if I can get the Summit bar for 2016+ to fit and look good on the 2015.

I feel your pain. When I installed the ARB to my GX 460, the wiring was the most frustrating part because the instructions were lousy and nothing seemed to match up with the vehicle (part of that of course was putting a Prado bumper on a Lexus). I ended up using a lot of trial and error.

Please post the wiring once you get it right.

Not sure if this helps .. but I have the color PDF instructions and they say.. white&black goes to the black ground; and beside the white&black is a red looking wire that goes to the green indicator wire.

arb-front-wires.JPG

When I did the rear the wires were different colors but in the same position on the harness plugs as yours.

For the front they have it connecting the dark color wire beside the red one on the black plug.

They are using the grey plug for the ground and signal and the black plug for the clearance.

arb-clearance-lights.JPG

@TX GX460 I went with ARB part number 3415150. Not really a fan of the summit bar look, personally.

@Fisher23 Interesting. I've got a version of the color pdf as well, but it's got different instructions. I searched online for the same instructions number at the bottom of the printed instructions for the bull bar and it shows this
instructions.png

Can you send me a copy (or link too) the instructions you have? I'd like to compare them and see what's different.

Now on to today's adventure in wiring. I decided to give it another shot and simply sat and stared at the wires for a while. I was trying to figure out why the colors didn't match, and more importantly, which side of the harnesses was the source I should tap into. Turns out, I was on the wrong side. So I went back to trying the way the instructions mentioned for HID/LEDs (arb green -> lc green/yellow, arb black -> lc white/black, arb red -> lc fat/only green). After replacing a fuse I'd blown when messing around with a multi-meter, the result was this:
  • park/running lights: the small ARB light turns on
    running lights on.jpg

• low beams: the small ARB light turns on
  • indicator on: the small ARB light stays on (no blinking and the larger, brighter amber doesn't turn on or blink at all)
  • low beams and signal on.jpg
    • the LED strip under the high beams in the pic above aren't on because the wire isn't connected to the harness

This is how the wires are on the RH/passenger side on the black plug/connector side
current wiring 4-21.jpg

I'm not sure how to post it as a link without sticking it on some website.

It seems you have it working except for the signal.

The directions are saying the signal wire is next to the black&white wire. Maybe check next to it with a volt meter?

Found images of the two harness I'm supposed to splice into. Does anyone know how or where to find out what each of these numbered pins links to (not just the selected one, but a map of all)?

RH HL harness.png

RH indicator harness.png

If anyone has an ARB front bumper installed on a 2013 and could take a picture of how their wires are spliced I'd be super grateful.

Did you figure out which wire to tap into for the signal?

Yes, I did. A couple of nights ago I opened the hood and took a good look at the wires to see where they were all going to and coming from. For some reason it wasn't clicking to look at the actual bulbs, rookie mistake, I know. When I finally did so I noticed the wire coming from the indicator light was yellow-red. So I followed that wire to the gray connectors posted above and looked at the position. Then I spliced into the wire on the opposite side (black connector side).

Ignore the actual splices on this image (reusing an old one from earlier) and look at the arrows/labels.
indicator wiring.jpg

Since I'd already messed up these wires I kept it all in this area. I ended up splicing in on the other side of the harness from what's shown above (the black connector side). If I were to do it again, I'd choose a different point in the wires to splice; closer to the actual indicator and park bulbs near the outside of the vehicle.

Should you choose to splice at the same points I did, pay attention to where the yellow-red wire connects. For me, the RH side it connected to a red wire and on the LH side it connected to a blue wire.

If this picture doesn't clarify it enough I can pop open the hood later and grab a pic of the correct, finished splices.

Thanks ... I'll be a couple months before I get the front.

Also I figured out the issue I was having with my rear sensors .. all the sensors were fine except the one near the center under the spare tire. That one I need to point down a little so it continued to work as it should. It was picking up the spare tire.

Last edited:
It's about time I came back and got the fog lights wired up. And, wouldn't you know it, they worked briefly then stopped working. Following the instructions from ARB (my LC has factory fogs), I connected the ARB fog white wire to the factory fog green wire. Nothing. I then connected the ARB fog black wire to the factory white/black wire and that fog light turned on.

Following the logic that I had it figured out correctly, I did the same thing on the other side (left side) of the vehicle. Once the wires were connected, I turned on the fog lights and the left side was working but the right wasn't. Knowing how I am, I checked the wires and I had unplugged the white/black -> black wire on the right side. I plugged that in so all factory green wires were plugged into ARB white wires and factory white/black were plugged into ARB black wires. Now neither of the fog lights work.

I have since tried unplugging all connections and plugging them back in one-by-one. I still haven't been able to get either fog light to work. Checked the fuse under the dash and it's fine. Not sure how to tell if the fuse in the engine is fine or blown though (it's one of the opaque square ones).

Anyone have any ideas?

I am doing mine Monday .. so if I figure this part out I'll let you know.

Alright, I'm an idiot. What I thought were fuses in the engine bay were the relays. I looked again and found the actual fuse. It's blown. Off to Autozone to buy more fuses because the giant pack of assorted fuses I bought last time conveniently didn't include 7.5amp fuses.

I broke down and ordered the ARB wiring harness (#3500440) for the front fogs. had some trouble finding a good spot for the relay, but once it was all hooked up the fuse stopped blowing every time I turned on the fog lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom