ARB air locker. gear oil getting into air line. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While wheelin in Moab I had gear oil sprayed on fender around where air compressor was mounted. When I would vent the rear ARB locker gear oil was in the line and would spray out of vent on solenoid.

Anyone else have this problem? This normal when in really steep terrain? Anything to help stop it? I was thinking about getting a small filter to put in the line so oil couldn't get past it. I was going to give ARB a call. The axle breather is clear.

I thought the line in the axle was close so how would gear oil get into the line? The locker seems to work fine. I pulled the line at the 3rd member and turned on air compressor and cleaned out the line.

That is usually a sign the o-rings are going bad..

Ok.Thanks. I will look at the drawing and see about ordering some spares. It is probably was lack of use. I need to do more wheelin that requires the locker. :) Maybe just activate it every month a couple of time would keep the o-rings lubed. Maybe the o-rings dried up on me.

The oil come from the solenoid and this it's due to the oil goind inside the ARB air body .. ( nut sure how call this part ) .. the issue is, the o-right it's designed to keep the air inside ( activating the locker ) ..

Your locker it's function fine ?

Your compresor it's finction fine activate and desactivate normal .?

If both answer are yes maybe you have a blocked breather .. when your oil warm up and expand have no other choice that going into your locker ..

Mine's been doing this too. I know my breather line is clogged - when I pull it loose, I can hear air escaping. I'm hoping this is the cause.

If this isn't the problem, where are the o-rings I keep hearing about? Would one have to pull and take apart the third to get to it?

Mine's been doing this too. I know my breather line is clogged - when I pull it loose, I can hear air escaping. I'm hoping this is the cause.

If this isn't the problem, where are the o-rings I keep hearing about? Would one have to pull and take apart the third to get to it?
Well, unclog the breather then, hehe.:doh:

2nd question, yep, the third would come out to R&R the o-rings.

I just was reading the ARB manual and says to leak test the locker by actuated the locker and if the pump does not cycle in 15 mins it is good. I am going to try this but I think it will pass. Also in the drawing I see the o-rings and will take pictures and post them if I pull it out.

mine does it too, but waiting till after the rubithon to pull apart. so i will be saving this thread to see how to do it . cheers

mine does it too, but waiting till after the rubithon to pull apart. so i will be saving this thread to see how to do it . cheers

You might not do very good if you are relying on that locker at Rubithon. I had two ARB's do what you described, and what happened was that the locker was not engaging, but the pumpkin was pressurizing, causing oil to come out the breather and/or up the line and out the solenoid. This was due to o-ring failure.

Jack up the rear and see if the locker actually engages.

Good luck
Ex

Looks like two o-rings which are # 24.
6576.jpg

Jack up the rear and see if the locker actually engages.

x2 At least check and make sure the locker is working. You will need your locker and don't want to be playing with it on the trail. Jack the rear up and turn one side and other should spin other way or not move. Then engage the locker and both should spin together. Also in the manual leave it engaged for 15 mins and make sure the compressor does not have to cycle on to leak check it.

Have a good trip.

Funny,
This is why I have stayed away from going ARB with my Cruiser. Back when I had a CJ I had so many problems with dual ARB's it was sickening. Swore I'd never do it again.

It may not be the o-rings themselves. My rear locker will hold air all day without the compressor cycling and the vent it clear but oil is continually pushed up the line. It's done this since install. I finally talked to the ARB tech guys in person when I was down there a month or so ago and they said that with a LC diff there are a number of installation problems that can cause this. The locker will hold air all day but a bad install can cause oil to get pumped past the o-rings.

If your locker install is recent and your vent is clear I'd give ARB a call and discuss the problem with them in more details. Mine is going back to the shop that did the install.

I just got the rig and from what i can tell from recipts an stuff the locker was installed at least 4 years ago, it still works fine, so i will fix it in due time. thanks all for the tech on this, it is something for me to watch more closely
cheers chappy

on my fj80 one of mine did this for years, never caused any problems, did fix it when doing something else in the rear end, but I bet it went on for 2+ years blowing oil out the selnoid

Mine has been blowing it out the solenoid ever since install Feb 2007. My compressor kicks in about every 5 minutes. I talked to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and he told me that a little bit of oil can me "normal". Man, I sure as hell don't want to pull that thing! As far as I know, the locker works OK. I have activated it about once a month since install.

Check it :D

Cruiser Outfitters

Re: Compressor cycling. My "bottom line" is 4 minutes. If they cycle sooner than that you have an appreciable leak. Why 4 minutes? Well I honestly can't remember, but even at that rarely do you have your locker on for more than a couple minutes at a time? I usually have mine on ONLY when needed, sometimes 30 seconds or less. If you are nearing the bottom line for compressor cycling, first check & tighten all of your airline fittings. As the system does not hold much volume, even a very small leak can be enough to cause the pressure switch to instigate a cycling of the compressor, make sense?

Check it :D

Cruiser Outfitters

We replaced the cylinder cap, u-ring/bonded seal, and used the newly introduced "square" cross-section o-rings.

Nice writeup Kurt.Thanks. When did the new square cross section o-rings come out? These replace the #24 in the diagram above?

Nice writeup Kurt.Thanks. When did the new square cross section o-rings come out? These replace the #24 in the diagram above?

They started in LC applications mabey a year or so ago, slowly replacing them in the different applications. They do replace part# 24, aka the seal housing o-ring.

Let me clarify they are not a 100% square cross section o-ring, more like an "x". By design they have two finite sealing surfaces, rather than one like the round. Beyond that, it is much more difficult and very obvious when the seal is "twisted" during the install. Many of the seal housing issues I have had brought to me for repair have been result of improperly installed seals or seal housing. The new free-floating clip style seal housing (new 2-3 years ago) went along ways to preventing that, but the new seal makes things better. Its my opinion that the new improvements aren't necissarily "better" as much as easier to install with less potential for error. Make sense?

Keep in touch on your diagnosis, I'm always interested to hear how things pan out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom