ARB 03+ Combo With Hawse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I'd post this in the 100s section as this is specific to our rigs. How are you setting up hawse fairleads on the ARB combo +03. Am I better off picking up a roller fairlead?

People have the same problem on ARBs with FJCs.

This is the best solution i am aware of:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_recovery_winches.htm

IMG_3058.jpg

Or, delrin rollers on a roller style fairlead.

DSCF1543.JPG

Last edited:
I assume the mounting holes for the offset hawse are used in line with the "feet forward" mounting holes of the winch? The benefit being you don't have to drill new holes or "offset" your winch with spacers to create space for the separate hawse nut/bolt?

So I've got the new TW12 winch w/ hawse fairlead as well. I was looking at the bumper holding the fairlead up to it. I'm thinking use the lower set of winch mounting holes (ones for Warn M12k) for the TW12 and then use the second set of holes (ones for Warn 8k) just above those to mount the fairlead. The only issue is you need some back spacing to clear the bolt head for the fairlead. Talking with Duncan this is common issue and ARB actually sells a winch spacer kit for this reason. I'm thinking just make my own with some spacers. Certainly cheaper than buying another hawse fairlead or a roller fairlead.

I think you're going to run in to clearance problems using those holes. The fairlead is going to interfere with the winch foot bolt on the outside of bumper. You're probably going to have to use spacers on the winch and drill new holes for the standard hawse.

I'm likely going to go with an offset fairlead to avoid all of this.

Does anyone have pictures illustrating what is being discussed here?

Does anyone have pictures illustrating what is being discussed here?

Here are some pictures of an offset Hawse on an ARB for an FJ i got off FJCF.com that show basically the same issue. If you mount up a regular fairlead, the opening is too low relative to the line coming off the drum.

You could just drill holes higher up and then stick bolts through from the backside of the mount to attach a regular hawse, but the the winch would not be able to sit flush. This is why you would need spacers between the winch and the mount.

DSC06685-1.jpg

DSC06771.jpg

DSC06662.jpg

Sleeoffroad does sell these, so that is where i will probably be getting mine.

I installed the roller unit for the warn. Had to drill the additional holes, but no issues
007.jpg

Now i understand. I'm doing the search, but i'm not finding my answer.

1. Does anyone sell a delrin roller fairlead complete or is it only the rollers that people sell?

2. With any roller fairlead, do you have to redrill holes in the fairlead to get it to mount up properly?

3. In this pic, I see four holes where bolts go. Two for the fairlead, and two above that. In a feet forward mounting position of the winch, are the two bolts where the fairlead is mounted also used for the bottom of the winch feet? I'm guessing so, but i'm not usually a good guesser.

Here are some pictures of an offset Hawse on an ARB for an FJ i got off FJCF.com that show basically the same issue. If you mount up a regular fairlead, the opening is too low relative to the line coming off the drum.

You could just drill holes higher up and then stick bolts through from the backside of the mount to attach a regular hawse, but the the winch would not be able to sit flush. This is why you would need spacers between the winch and the mount.

DSC06771.jpg

Sleeoffroad does sell these, so that is where i will probably be getting mine.

TW12 with an offset fairlead on an 03+ combo:
image-1242112822.jpg

Ive got delrin rollers that I had a buddy make for me that I will be mounting when I get my new bumper. I had the setup mounted on my FJ and it worked quite well.

TW12 with an offset fairlead on an 03+ combo:

Would you happen to have a closer shot of the top of the fairlead at more of an angle so i can see how much the bumper sticks out past the fairlead?

This thread refers to an ARB 03+ combo with hawse.... I just assumed that the mounting and such would be the same for my ARB 03+ sahara bar. I almost ordered an offset hawse fairlead from slee just now, but in speaking with them, i found out that i may not have to get an offset fairlead. Before i go any further, can any of you with a combo bar tell me if you have a winch mount behind the bumper or does the combo bar have the winch mount integrated into the bumper?

This is a pic from BBQ boy's build thread. If you notice, the winch is mounted to a dedicated winch mount. This is separate from the bumper. Is this how you guys with the combo bars are?

38179a97.jpg

Generally, the 98-02 combo bar has separate cradle. 03-07 combo bar is integrated.

*This applies to current offerings and does not apply to Sahara bar. I believe there were more than two versions of each.

If you notice, the winch is mounted to a dedicated winch mount. This is separate from the bumper. Is this how you guys with the combo bars are?

As hoser mentioned, depends on the year Combo Bar. 98-02 they had a separate winch cradle that mounted to the frame rails separate from the bumper itself. On this combo bar the winch mounted feet down. The holes in the bumper itself are dedicated to mounting the fairlead and no spacers are needed.

Now with the 03-07 Combo Bar they changed the mounting completely. The winch now mounts feet forward directly to the front plate of the bumper itself. The holes in the bumper go directly into the feet of the winch. As such if you want to mount a non-offset hawse lead you must space the winch off the mounting plate to clear the bolts for the fairlead. There are two sets of whole form the factory in the bumper, one set for 8k winch and one set for 12k winch per the ARB directions. You can mount the winch in the bottom set of holes and use the top set for the fairlead, again with spacers to clear the bolt heads.

I'm pretty sure I'm calling Slee today or tomorrow to order an offset hawse fairlead as I would rather not deal with spacers.

3D FJ said:
Would you happen to have a closer shot of the top of the fairlead at more of an angle so i can see how much the bumper sticks out past the fairlead?

Here ya go...,
image-1791441393.jpg
image-3605260790.jpg
image-1118457083.jpg

To bring this back to life, how has everyone been getting on with the bumper and synthetic line?

Is there a best solution to go for when it comes to fitting a Hawse or are the rollers best?

I had a friend make me a set of Delrin rollers to go on my fairlead.

Any newer solutions to this problem as I am about to mount my winch.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom