Anything wrong with % of coolant over 50% ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I was wondering, after my most recent flush and fill of the cooling system I saw that the coolant tested (with my coolant tester) at a freeze point of -45 degrees which I think means that my percentage of coolant is over 50%. I am surprised that this happened; I drained the rad, filled with distilled water, ran for awhile with heaters on, let everything cool, drained the rad again, filled with distilled and ran for awhile with heaters on, let everything cool again and then drained and filled up with 1.5 gallons toyota red coolant and the rest with distilled water. I did not want to chop that short heater hose for a prestone flushNfill kit so I chose to 'flush' the system this way. BTW the original coolant that I drained out looked really good and tested at about -35 degrees which I think is perfect 50/50. Also BTW after the second flush, the coolant mix coming out was hardly red; just a slightly pinkish color. If my prestone coolant tester is reading -45 degrees does that mean that my coolant is over 50% of the system and if so is that harmful in any way; should I drain out a little of the coolant mix and add more distilled water? Thanks. :beer: For All!

Over 50% is not a problem. In some extreme environments it would be required. You should not run straight antifreeze. I forget the exact reasoning but I believe it relates to the coolant's ability to transfer heat or perhaps it lowers the boiling point. One or the other.

Antifreeze is a necessary evil to your system. Even though it has worse heat carrying properties than the water it is displacing - it lubricates, prevents corrosion and, as the name would imply, helps prevent your cooling system from freezing.

The only downside to a greater percentage of antifreeze would be higher engine temperatures but at the ratios you are talking about it would be hardly noticable - if at all.

C'dan, FWIW - One thing I recall from a history class is that mixing water with antifreeze actually lowers the freezing point (i.e. pure antifreeze freezes at a higher temp, don't remember what temp. that is). Back to the history class, in WWII a bunch of the radiators were filled with pure antifreeze and froze up in the Russian winter.

Turbocruiser - You don't have to cut the heater hose. Just remove the end at the heater valve, connect the prestone Tee to the heater hose, loop about a 3 foot piece of 5/8" diameter heater hose (74 cents a foot) from other of the prestone Tee back into the heater valve.

:beer:
Rookie2

Turbo,

So you didn't drain the block with the block drain? Tsk, tsk....

DougM

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=10232;start=msg91384#msg91384 date=1074372590]
Turbo,

So you didn't drain the block with the block drain? Tsk, tsk....

DougM
[/quote]

No I didn't and tsk, tsk is right - I've been saying it to myself since the flush and fill! :-[ I thought that flushing twice with pure water would work well to gently clean out the system. I am sure the system is clean as both the old coolant/water mix and the flushes were free of any visible sediment or even discoloration but I think that by not draining the block, I slightly screwed up my ratio of coolant to water since there was still some coolant/water mix (pretty dilute with coolant but still some) in the block when I then also added 1.5 gallons of new coolant. I guess I could solve the percentage problem by draining some mix and adding pure water until percentage tests at 50/50. Or, I could redo the whole job and this time drain both block and rad AND do the prestone flush - seems like overkill at this point but if it is recommended, I'll do it. Anyway, thanks for the advice. :beer: (100% not 50/50) For All!!!

I have a proceedure for refilling my cars after a flush. Dump in 1 gallon of antifreeze and then 1 gallon of water. Split the second gallon of antifreeze in half by dumping half in the first gallon. Then top off both jugs with water. Now you have a 50/50 mix in the system and 2 gallons of 50/50 to top off the system and some for any needed repairs or problems that might occur.

turbocruiser,
If I read your post right, you wasted about 16 gallons of distilled water. Even the most anal among us will flush with tap water, then fill with coolant & distilled.

Draining the block is important to allow any crud floating around in the block to get flushed out. Next year, I recommend you do the procedure as described in another post (about a month ago.)

-B-

Prestone says:

Minimum 50% -34 degrees F min +265 degrees Fmaximum
Maximum 70% -84 degrees F min + 276 degrees F maximum

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=10232;start=msg91479#msg91479 date=1074392152]
turbocruiser,
If I read your post right, you wasted about 16 gallons of distilled water. Even the most anal among us will flush with tap water, then fill with coolant & distilled.

Draining the block is important to allow any crud floating around in the block to get flushed out. Next year, I recommend you do the procedure as described in another post (about a month ago.)

-B-
[/quote]

Well, since I did not drain the block, I really only wasted about 8 gallons of distilled water but anal is as anal does and I can go rounds with the top anal/obsessive/compulsive competitor around! Honestly, I thought that my method would be better than trying to flush out the system under pressure with a hose; I have heard that since the average cooling system is designed to do about 14 to 18 pounds of pressure depending on the rad cap, it is potentially harmful to have the hose connected and running at the 50 to 65 pounds commonly found in household water systems. Not sure for sure about that theory but hey part of anality is always taking the chance to worry about something if it is possible to worry about it!!! So I over-analyzed it as always BUT the good thing is that I learned a little while doing it. As you suggested, at the start of summer or so, I will redo the procedure and do it properly. Hey I might even flush with regular H2O!!! Anyway, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Also based on the percentages listed in the above post, I'd say I have around 55% coolant - should not hurt anything right? Thanks :beer: For All!

You're fine with the % ratio, but when you drain that block you're going to be bummed you left that much crud in there all that time. The system seems to be designed so the sediment settles into the block (a good thing obviously), rather than clogs the radiator so be ready to kick yourself...

DougM

Got to admit that I like taking mine to the shop and having it flushed by one of though expensive flush machines. I think it cleans out the cooling system better and you don't have to worry about disposal of the old antifreeze.

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=10232;start=msg91589#msg91589 date=1074411679]
You're fine with the % ratio, but when you drain that block you're going to be bummed you left that much crud in there all that time. The system seems to be designed so the sediment settles into the block (a good thing obviously), rather than clogs the radiator so be ready to kick yourself...

DougM
[/quote]

Ahhh nuts, I guess I will redo the procedure and this time I guess I will drain both rad and block, flush with the prestone flush kit as Rookie2 suggested without cutting the heater hose, and fill with 50/50 coolant and distilled water. What is that saying about taking less time to do it right the first time!!! Thanks again for all the advice! :beer: For All!!!

Turbocruiser,

I wouldn't be to worried about the water pressure. You can regulate how much and how fast it goes in at the faucet. Beside with the bottom radiator plug out and the cap off (while your flushing the system), there's not going to be much pressure build-up.

:beer:
R2

I have seen three different types of coolant testers and all do read differently. You probably know this but some people do not. Has to do with types of coolant like Sierra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom