Anyone with ARB Base Rack or similar: How did you mount your Cargo Box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BAY2MTN

SILVER Star
Threads
I am planning on installing 61" ARB Base Rack to my 2016 LC (finally?).

On occasion, we use a Thule Motion XT XXL to help lug gear to the mountains. Easy to install with factory bars.

Two things:
  • The clamps on the box are too small to grab the ARB beams; Can use T- slot adapters but....
  • The design of the box is meant to sit on only two crossbeams, there are indentations (see photo) that won't allow it to sit flat (even if using T-slot adapters).

If anyone has a solution, please let me know. I think I'll go the T-slot route, but won't be comfortable with the gap. Perhaps overthinking it...

1643232492255.png

I think the various roof platform racks manufacturers sell raised bars to allow use of a cargo box with their products. Maybe something like that? Sorry I don't have specifics handy.

EDIT: not Yakima. Maybe Rhino Rack? edited my comment.

Last edited:
I think Yakima sells a set of raised bars to allow use of a skybox with their platform rack. Maybe something like that (seems overly complicated to me though..)
Agreed, definitely raises it more.

I’m going to look at the Thule T-slot adapter, and ARB t-slot blocks as I’ve read elsewhere. Maybe make some rubber mats to fit under the clamps.
Because what’s another $100+ to make something work? 🙄

or just drill some 1" holes for the clamps and add some grommets?

Last edited:
I was thinking about using a roam 95L case. The cargo box has slots at each end through which you can loop ratchet tie down straps sold by ARB. You can still open the case without removing the straps. By my estimates, the length of this case is slightly shorter than the dovetail edges you would use to secure the straps.

ROAM-CASE-Black-Details_2.jpg

arb-base-rack-ratchet-straps-main.jpg

I was thinking about using a roam 95L case. The cargo box has slots at each end through which you can loop ratchet tie down straps sold by ARB. You can still open the case without removing the straps. By my estimates, the length of this case is slightly shorter than the dovetail edges you would use to secure the straps.

View attachment 2906702

View attachment 2906703
Interesting solution but I already own the Thule box, it's more secure and its access is more convenient as well. This box would be great for camping, etc.

or just drill some 1" holes for the clamps and add some grommets?
I don't want to drill the crossmembers, or box, but I hear you.

Posting this for anyone else searching. Front Runner has a quick release bar, but would require ARB T-Slot adapter:
1643308832157.png

does anyone know the dimensions of the ARB dovetail?
I'm wondering if the ARB Base Rack accessories can clamp to a 80/20 extrusion that some of the racks are made of here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom