Anyone with aluminium toolboxes under the camper/truck bed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi.

I am designing some toolboxes to mount under the tray in front of the rear wheel.

Something like the attached picture... Does anyone here have something like this and can help with a few questions.

1. What aluminium alloy did you/the builder use?

2. What thickness material did you use? I would like to use 2mm but are unsure if it is strong enough and I should go with 3mm.?
kasser samlet.jpg

2. What thickness material did you use? I am unsure if 2mm is enough or I should use 3mm?

I'd go with 6061 T5 or T6 aluminum ( aluminium on the other side of the pond ), good weldability and medium to high strength, depending on heat treatment.
On the thickness, if you could bend a couple of ribs into the long flat sides 2mm should be ok, if no ribs then go with 3mm.

I drive an 18 wheeler, the boxes on these big truck are usually 1/8" so about 3mm. 6061 aluminum. 2mm would be a good thickness if you will have good strong mounting brackets or braces. If not I would go with 3mm like the previous post said.

If you intend to have tools or hard metal items in that box, I would coat the inside with some sort of bedliner material. Over time the abrasion from the metals will make annoying aluminum dust and get everything dirty. If not, at least do rubber mats in the surface to limit abrasion.

IMG_20220527_230141_494.jpg

I had two custom aluminum tool boxes made for my camper by Highway Products. They have held up well for 10 plus years now. I think they use 1/8" Marine grade aluminum sheet. There website now says their current boxes are made with "5052 .125" smooth aluminum" Mine were custom, so there may have been other options.

20161103_081247.jpg

Hi , I have made 2 front boxes that fit in the bumper .they are not too beg , but with good capacity .
material used was aluminium series 7000 , 3 mm .
the material is extremely stiff , impossible to bend, but very easy to weld , given the right tools and tecnic .
there is a report on this forum somewhere .
the high stiffness of the material was imperative , in order to have the boxes water tight .
and infact they are water tight .
find it here , Bumper basket - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bumper-basket.1266721/

I had two custom aluminum tool boxes made for my camper by Highway Products. They have held up well for 10 plus years now. I think they use 1/8" Marine grade aluminum sheet. There website now says their current boxes are made with "5052 .125" smooth aluminum" Mine were custom, so there may have been other options.

View attachment 3176564
Setups looks neat. You got any build page or more pics?

Setups looks neat. You got any build page or more pics?
I do it is on Expedition Portal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom