Anyone using a remote oil filter kit. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched and did not find too much on this subject.

Aside from the Amsoil unit what are the pros and cons of just using a unit like a Haywood with good threaded fittings and braided steel lines?

Christo did a write up on the Amzoil dual filter install...
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_oil_filter.htm

I plan on putting one on my 100 when I do the front bumper upgrade. It probably is overkill, based upon what I have read here, but on the other hand it's not that expensive...and with the extra oil lines to and from the dual filter I would think this would add a little cooling to the whole system(?). I run Amzoil...and it would be easier to change the filters every 3-4K mounted behind the bumper...

I did a remote system on my 62 with oil coolers added in line. Droped oil temp 40 degrees on the trail. That is in a big block where oil temps are high anyway. On a late model 6 cyl, the temp drop would be less although still substantial. Having the filter easy to get to is nice also.
G
P1010007.JPG

spressomon said:
Christo did a write up on the Amzoil dual filter install...
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_oil_filter.htm

I plan on putting one on my 100 when I do the front bumper upgrade.

I would stay away from the Amsoil dual remote; it contains a restrictor that will noticeably reduce your max oil pressure.

A bypass filter needs differential pressure to get oil to flow through its thick media, the right way to accomplish this is by porting it to a high pressure oil source (oil galley) and low pressure return (crankcase). Hence the name “bypass filter” some of the oil bypasses the normal oil circuit.

On the Amsoil dual remote the two filters are in parallel the bypass filter has high pressure on both its inlet and outlet, the full flow filter is not restrictive enough to get much differential pressure so both sides of the bypass see basically the same pressure and no flow. Amsoil "fixed" this by putting a variable restriction on the full flow filter, the oil going that way has to unseat a spring loaded ball creating a constant differential pressure to push oil through the bypass and a reduction in oil pressure to the engine at all times that the oil pump relief valve is open (witch is most of the time except sitting at lights)

It is an easy way to install a bypass filter but has a price.

amsoilbypassold.jpg

amsoilbypassnew.jpg

For a plain vanilla remove oil filter you want to make sure you are not reducing the reliability of the engine, the lines should be at least one size larger than the OEM ports in the oil filter boss, the adapter and new filter head should have no restrictions. The lines should be routed so they will not chafe nor subject to damage from terrain. The lines should be high quality with strong connections, would hate to have a blow out on the highway and loose all oil pressure and then the engine

If you add a cooler place it after the filter, it is best practice to filter at it’s hottest. If you live in a place that gets cold weather I would not add a cooler. The 1FZ already has a large oil cooler that brings to oil close to coolant temperature, not sure you would want to go much cooler, in a hot climate an aux cooler may be helpful and should not hurt

Next time you change you oil take a good look at the filter boss, it has a nice arrangement for the incoming oil that distributes it across the oil filter inlet, It also imparts a swirl, some of this may be lost with an adapter

I think a remote adapter may help with start up rattle as you will be mounting the filter vertically and therefore be full on startup, also would make oil changes a lot cleaner, as long as it does not bring in any new problems it would be nice.

Next time you change you oil take a good look at the filter boss said:
I've never had a problem with start up rattle. I've seen it mentioned here quite a bit.

I run Castrol 20W50 in every vehicle we own and keep it changed regularly. I am definitely going to put just a remote filter kit on the Cruiser. I ran one on an old blazer I had for 10 yrs. with no problems, and I am tired of the contorted effort it takes to get to the filter now (not to mention the mess).

Ain't Skeerd!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom