Anyone try the mickey thompson baja boss A/T? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw these pop up the other day and i am very interested in them. They have nice deep side walls and OK lug spacing. But more importantly they are snow flake rated and have nice siping on the tread. Should work well in the winter here and be a decent A/T or hybrid as well. I also really like the new Toyo trail R/T but no snow flake or siping. Has anyone tried either of these?

On a side not i am running Toyo AT3s now. I dont like how they look but that is a minor complaint. The side walls are almost smooth. But hands down they have been the best tire i have ever had. 35,000 miles on them, no cupping, no rebalancing, almost no noise. I dont get off road a ton anymore but they do fine getting me through the gravel roads or over big rocks. probably do as well as any A/T. But have held up amazingly.

i have the toyos AT3s on the FJC and i really liked them until i put a fist sized hole in the sidewall. cross your fingers that interwest is gonna prorate warranty part of that tire.

Friend of mine has the MT bajas on his GX and they are a great looking tire. the sidewalls are BEEFY. he really likes them but they are like only at 2k miles IRRC. seem pretty well mannered and they look bigger then they are. they are siped and should have alot of winter traction but he's only had them since like April.

I have the Toyo R/T Trails and they are great on and off road. They performed well in the snow. My girlfriend has the Baja Boss A/Ts and they are fantastic on the road. Have not had them off road or in the snow yet. The Baja Boss is what I wanted to get but no one had them in my size.

I have the Toyo R/T Trails and they are great on and off road. They performed well in the snow. My girlfriend has the Baja Boss A/Ts and they are fantastic on the road. Have not had them off road or in the snow yet. The Baja Boss is what I wanted to get but no one had them in my size.
I wont need tires for a while but you know how we start thinking about this stuff. I have 315s on the 80 now. No real complaints and they do everything i need off road. But i think 285s would still do what i need and would be a little nicer on road. Less mass, lower cg, better braking all that stuff helps at 2am when a elk runs out. Makes the difference between just dirt underwear and roling the truck in a ditch. Or at least thats what i tell myself.

Anyway, the Baja Boss AT and the Toyo Trail RT both look really good. Both come in 285 but not 315. So of course that makes me want 315 again, lol.

Any pictures of the side wall on the Baja Boss AT? Does it look good or does it look cheesy? I know that shouldn't matter but i admit to being a little shallow. I loved the way Yokohama a003 looked but i have to be a little practical about snow and rain traction. I spun the 80 off I90 at 5am this winter in the snow. Saved it and no damage. But it made me realize that an emergency manuver (or my bad driving) could total it in a second. I paid $6800 for it with 184,000 10 years ago. No way could i aford another 80 in todays market. Sorry, long rant. I am working nights and finishing my "morning coffee".

I wont need tires for a while but you know how we start thinking about this stuff. I have 315s on the 80 now. No real complaints and they do everything i need off road. But i think 285s would still do what i need and would be a little nicer on road. Less mass, lower cg, better braking all that stuff helps at 2am when a elk runs out. Makes the difference between just dirt underwear and roling the truck in a ditch. Or at least thats what i tell myself.

Anyway, the Baja Boss AT and the Toyo Trail RT both look really good. Both come in 285 but not 315. So of course that makes me want 315 again, lol.

Any pictures of the side wall on the Baja Boss AT? Does it look good or does it look cheesy? I know that shouldn't matter but i admit to being a little shallow. I loved the way Yokohama a003 looked but i have to be a little practical about snow and rain traction. I spun the 80 off I90 at 5am this winter in the snow. Saved it and no damage. But it made me realize that an emergency manuver (or my bad driving) could total it in a second. I paid $6800 for it with 184,000 10 years ago. No way could i aford another 80 in todays market. Sorry, long rant. I am working nights and finishing my "morning coffee".
Side wall looks good and is aggressive. Probably the most aggressive A//T.

These are a great looking rubber
Nice looking 200. I wonder if the price of a 200 will ever be within reach. Maybe in another 10 years? But they might be retro and collectable by then.

I saw these pop up the other day and i am very interested in them. They have nice deep side walls and OK lug spacing. But more importantly they are snow flake rated and have nice siping on the tread. Should work well in the winter here and be a decent A/T or hybrid as well. I also really like the new Toyo trail R/T but no snow flake or siping. Has anyone tried either of these?

On a side not i am running Toyo AT3s now. I dont like how they look but that is a minor complaint. The side walls are almost smooth. But hands down they have been the best tire i have ever had. 35,000 miles on them, no cupping, no rebalancing, almost no noise. I dont get off road a ton anymore but they do fine getting me through the gravel roads or over big rocks. probably do as well as any A/T. But have held up amazingly.
@rc51kid I have the Baja Boss A/T tires on my 2011 FJ and I really like them so far, didn't get to drive them much in the winter but what little I did they were awesome. I've been in some pretty gnarly stuff off-road this summer and at 18 psi they bite super hard, the side lugs really dig in when you're in a rut and help you through it. Feel free to reach out if you want to meet up and take a look at them as I don't think anybody in town stocks them.

DSC_3210~2.JPG

Nice looking 200. I wonder if the price of a 200 will ever be within reach. Maybe in another 10 years? But they might be retro and collectable by then.
If you're willing to drive it back, I flew to Alabama to buy mine and it was significantly cheaper than buying anything on the western half of the US. It's a trek for sure, but you can find them 10-15k cheaper out there.

Here's a couple of photographs, they aren't the nastiest sidewalls on the market but for an AT tire they probably are.

20230817_091831.jpg

20230817_091825.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom