Anyone try a alternative to the traditional seat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jomama

Lucideye
Threads
Are you wearing padded shorts when you ride? Pads + big saddle = uncomfortable riding. Padded shorts make thinner saddles more comfy by design.

Riding a few days in a row will also help your sit bones get used to the pressure of riding.

Also, saddles are an EXTREMELY personal thing. What one person loves could be absolutely awful for you. Try as many as you can and stick with the one you like.

I dunno what type of riding you do, but I couldn't maneuver around and back for descents with that wide of a support. I agree that ya gotta build them sit-bones up and wear some padded shorts.

I like seats that are rolled smooth over the sides with a vein relief cut out in the middle, firm and with some grip.

Definitely the padded shorts, but also have a friend evaluate your riding position. You may be riding in a very awkward position that is putting unnecessary pressure on your sensitive parts.

Also, alternate between standing and sitting to keep the blood flowing...

Yeah I wear padded shorts. Going to try some more seat adjustments first. Drop the front, bring it forward a bit? Just street and smooth single track riding on a basic mb.

I tell my freinds who complain of their butt hurting that they need to pedal harder...

Positioning is pretty important--seat height, fore/aft, angle, even handlebar stem length and angle. You can find various methods on the internet. What seems to work in general is the following. Its best if you can mount your bike in a trainer for making these assessments:

seat height: with your heel on the pedal and the pedal in the 6:00 position (straight down), your knee should be slightly bent.

Seat fore/aft: With your foot properly on the pedal (ball of the foot centered on the pedal axle) and the pedal in the 3:00 position, a plum-line dropped from just below the knee cap should intersect the pedal axle.

Seat angle: it should be positioned such that your butt can remain on the saddle and does not slide off. this is usually accomplished with the tip of the saddle slightly higher than the back.

As you pedal, your hip should not be rocking back and forth. Your lower back should be stationary. If not, your seat is probably too high.

There are a lot of different seat options even with conventional seats. It could be that you have a seat that is uncomfortable. If, after a proper fit, it still hurts, you might swap seats with a friend or go to a local bike shop and talk to them about different seats.

Definitely the padded shorts, but also have a friend evaluate your riding position. You may be riding in a very awkward position that is putting unnecessary pressure on your sensitive parts.

Also, alternate between standing and sitting to keep the blood flowing...

Since you mentioned it, other than alternating between standing and sitting, is there something else to keep the sensitive parts from from going numb? It is a pita to stop after a couple to 3 miles and walk around to prevent the " fuzzies " I'm on my 3rd or 4th seat and wear padded shorts and some over shorts as well. maybe the padded shorts are causing the issue but damn I hate that feeling......

Y'all can quit snickerin' now

Not all cycling shorts are created equal. I prefer Castelli and Assos because they have a much more anatomical chamois than Pearl Izumi...so keep that in the back of your mind.

If you are having problems, slide the seat forward and tilt the nose down slightly. You should have the majority of your weight on your sit bones...need to bail for a bit. I'll contribute more later.

Okay, so if your privates are still going numb, a few things to consider:

1) Play with different chamois. Some have way too much padding right in the areas that put pressure on the blood vessels. The brands I mentioned above put in a relief groove right down the middle that helps with that.
2) Adjust your seat position (and double check your riding)...pull up a mirror while you are seated on your bike and check for the things mentioned in several of the other threads. Please don't take pictures of you naked on your bicycle, but I'm sure Freddie would be intrigued ;)
3) Look for a new seat, but this is a tricky one IMO. I've heard guys span the gamut for comfort that range from hard-as-a-rock carbon fiber with zero flex to ones with space-age materials that flex like a hammock. You will need to get out and try them out for size. I personally ride a Fizik with carbon fiber rails and Kevlar weave that is compliant enough for riding all day, but also stiff enough in the right areas to provide the critical support for my sit bones.
4) If you are new to riding, it will take some time for you to get comfortable in the saddle. So I suggest ride several miles, walk around a minute..stand, stretch while standing (just be mindful of your surrounding) on your pedals.

Hopefully one of those things will help.

Last edited:
If you top tube and/or stem length isn't correct that can also impact your position on the saddle.

Since you mentioned it, other than alternating between standing and sitting, is there something else to keep the sensitive parts from from going numb? It is a pita to stop after a couple to 3 miles and walk around to prevent the " fuzzies " I'm on my 3rd or 4th seat and wear padded shorts and some over shorts as well. maybe the padded shorts are causing the issue but damn I hate that feeling......

Y'all can quit snickerin' now

I'll let you know next time we order team kits, and if you like i'll order a pair of chortz for you. You'll be amazed at the pad comfort.

I'll let you know next time we order team kits, and if you like i'll order a pair of chortz for you. You'll be amazed at the pad comfort.

OK, lemme know

I will also try some of the seat positions, currently it is all the way rearward but may be tilted up a bit much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom