Anyone know this winch model? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what which winch this is? It looks like a warn 8274, but I think Warn made some similar looking models and the photo with the specs is really blurry. Cheers and thanks.

warn winch and winch bumper

I've contacted the seller so we'll see how much snow he or she trys to blow.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what which winch this is? It looks like a warn 8274, but I think Warn made some similar looking models and the photo with the specs is really blurry. Cheers and thanks.

warn winch and winch bumper

I've contacted the seller so we'll see how much snow he or she trys to blow.

The label on the winch in the first photo says 8274

wow, i couldn't read it. It looks to me like it says 8000 lbs wich wouldn't be a 8274 so I was'nt sure.

on the upside down label, does it say 8270 or something like that? is this an old version?

Last edited:
wow, i couldn't read it. It looks to me like it says 8000 lbs wich wouldn't be a 8274 so I was'nt sure.

on the upside down label, does it say 8270 or something like that? is this an old version?

Top row, white on orange.8274s are rated 8000 lbs.

This one looks older than the 8274-50 which came out around 1992.

Um, an 8274 is an 8k winch ...

Tucker

I guess I'm confused. i thought it was an 8500 lb winch (that will pull more than that) but after looking at the Warn website I was ummm, mistaken.

Top row, white on orange.8274s are rated 8000 lbs.

This one looks older than the 8274-50 which came out around 1992.

So is there a baseline for how much these older than 1992 winches cost? I bet one needs to assume it needs a rebuild and new solenoids. The one in the OP doesn't have a case over the solenoids either , so that would be an order from Warn, thereby decreasing the cost of purchasing the unit.

What do you think would be a good opening offer on this or is it too iffy as these are only pictures?
Thanks!

Does it run? If so it might be worth $2-300. If not, low ball him. You can get all the parts to rebuild it (incl. the solenoid cover) from Warn, but they're not cheap.

BTW it's an 8274, not the modern 8274-50, because it has the old-style round clutch knob instead of a "T" knob.

Does it run? If so it might be worth $2-300. If not, low ball him. You can get all the parts to rebuild it (incl. the solenoid cover) from Warn, but they're not cheap.

BTW it's an 8274, not the modern 8274-50, because it has the old-style round clutch knob instead of a "T" knob.

Thanks thats great information. I'm not sure if it runs. I've sent a message so I'll let people know once I know more information.

Is there any structural/functional difference between the 8274 and 8274-50 that will (a)keep me from getting replacement parts for it and (b) limit me pulling my 60 out of a mud hole? I'm new to the winching forum and winching in general so please excuse my newb questions if they seem obvious or uninformed.

Last edited:
That winch looks pretty good . Part # 8403 Model 8274. Made in Kent Wa.

I cant see any letters stamped on the top cover, I am willing to bet that it will be a Key -way spur instead of the later splined spur gear of the mid 80s

Drop a few bucks into it and it will pull your 60 out of a Glory Hole !

According to the net, The 8274-50 came out in 1998

Last edited:
That winch looks pretty good . Part # 8403 Model 8274. Made in Kent Wa.

I cant see any letters stamped on the top cover, I am willing to bet that it will be a Key -way spur instead of the later splined spur gear of the mid 80s

Drop a few bucks into it and it will pull your 60 out of a Glory Hole !

According to the net, The 8274-50 came out in 1998

Whats the difference between the Key-way spur and splined spur gear?

It all has to do with the shaft on the winch motor;

A splined spur gear slides on the motor shaft via splines.

A key-way spur has a slot or a "Key Way" on the round shaft that holds the spur gear in place.

The splined shaft is stronger because of the many mating surfaces of the splines whereas a key-way will have one "notch or mating surface.

I contacted the same add about a week ago. They had decided to rebuild it themselves or wanted 450 for it. Too much for a winch that they claim not to know anything about function wise. Fishy seller. "I don't know anything about it.... I'm going to rebuild it" I'm betting the motor is burnt out and they are fishing for the full 450. Its an 80s model 8274 I believe with the older style selenoids. I offered them 200 considering its an unknown, they didn't even budge. Best of luck.

I contacted the same add about a week ago. They had decided to rebuild it themselves or wanted 450 for it. Too much for a winch that they claim not to know anything about function wise. Fishy seller. "I don't know anything about it.... I'm going to rebuild it" I'm betting the motor is burnt out and they are fishing for the full 450. Its an 80s model 8274 I believe with the older style selenoids. I offered them 200 considering its an unknown, they didn't even budge. Best of luck.

Thanks for the information. I was thinking 200 too was my max offer for it as its condition is unknown as you said. Since they are rebuilding it, then that explains why I haven't heard back from them.

It all has to do with the shaft on the winch motor;

A splined spur gear slides on the motor shaft via splines.

A key-way spur has a slot or a "Key Way" on the round shaft that holds the spur gear in place.

The splined shaft is stronger because of the many mating surfaces of the splines whereas a key-way will have one "notch or mating surface.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.

Since they are rebuilding it, then that explains why I haven't heard back from them.

Be sure to check back with them. If they don't know much about the winch, they may get spooked by the price of replacement parts. If nothing is broken, then the problem is likely either the motor or solenoid(s). Most times, it's a bad ground and those are no fun to troubleshoot and expensive if you just buy all new parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom