Anyone install the factory remote start? I guess I need Techstream (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I had a Tundra I installed the Toyota factory remote start and it took some time but was pretty easy. I was thrilled to see a similar kit for the Landcruiser but then found the directions that talk about Techstream programming. I am not sure if anyone else has installed this and can comment or if the techstream is not that bad to do? I Have used the 12volt solutions one on my Tacoma and has grown third of the endless "key not found" errors after installing it so would like the factory one ad really don't want to pay a dealer to install it if I can. Thanks in advance.

When I had a Tundra I installed the Toyota factory remote start and it took some time but was pretty easy. I was thrilled to see a similar kit for the Landcruiser but then found the directions that talk about Techstream programming. I am not sure if anyone else has installed this and can comment or if the techstream is not that bad to do? I Have used the 12volt solutions one on my Tacoma and has grown third of the endless "key not found" errors after installing it so would like the factory one ad really don't want to pay a dealer to install it if I can. Thanks in advance.

It's winter time and getting cold here, so i was planning on doing this with my next paycheck now that i have an LX. I will make a video or at least post some pictures of the install in the process. Techstream cable is cheap and the module is about $280 from the dealer. From what i hear it is a very easy job. I have read that the range on the factory remote start sucks though, but i don't really need to be able to start it from far away, except for in rare situations. I also do not want to carry a second key fob.

You're out of luck on the 2020 LC. The factory option has been discontinued for 2019+. There aren't any part numbers listed as compatible either. 3rd party is the only option.

It's winter time and getting cold here, so i was planning on doing this with my next paycheck now that i have an LX. I will make a video or at least post some pictures of the install in the process. Techstream cable is cheap and the module is about $280 from the dealer. From what i hear it is a very easy job. I have read that the range on the factory remote start sucks though, but i don't really need to be able to start it from far away, except for in rare situations. I also do not want to carry a second key fob.

With regards to range, keep in mind that any physical object (ie. walls) will hurt it even more. Depending on where/how you use it, limited range may end up being a deal breaker.

Did your LX come with the "card" key? I put that in my wallet and only use the remote starter remote (Compustar G15 Pro), so there's no need to carry the factory fob.

Here are the instructions for 2013. I included both the LX and LC but did not look to see if the process is different for the 2. I think It takes Toyota/Lexus techs an hour to do so maybe 2-4 hours for me. Most of the work is removing trim panels, and then using techstream to activate it.

Unfortunately for me, all of the instructions i can find are either for LCs or newer LXS. This is the same for parts. The part number the dealer gave me for the kit for the 2008 has been discontinued so i may consider going aftermarket after all.

Attachments

• 13my-_land cruiser_tvip_v4_ii_issb.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 177
My 2020 HE was delivered with the factory accessory remote start option installed by dealer, I believe it is P/N PT398-60160. So it does exist and it does work.

Last edited:
fyi .. I went with a 3rd party alarm that included remote start .. because the OEM remote start has a very limited range. vs 3rd party can go over 1 mile.

I bought the Tundra kit and the instructions and everything seem to be the same as the LC/LX. I have installed everything and gotten to the point of registration but it keeps failing registration. Basically, starting on page 16 and then I get to step 7 k.
I have been trying to get it to register several times (before the Techstream step) and keep getting stuck.
Any ideas or help with this?

I talked to the 12vSolutions guy (local to me in Tulsa) and if I go with his solution, I have to uninstall all of the OEM stuff. Anyone interested in buying it from me? I don't think it is a hardware issue with registering because the LX starts/runs/drives with no issues or lights.

It must just work....officially it's discontinued. I hope it's covered under warranty.

PT39860160 - Remote Engine Starter. Owners, Comfortable, Fob - Genuine Toyota Accessory
^Notice 2019 or 2020 isn't listed for that part number.

Also from our friendly neighborhood Toyota GM -
Toyota parts sites that I look at now list the 2019 as compatible, I'm sure 2020's will get listed as they become more prevalent. As to warranty, was installed prior to delivery and I had no dealer that I was negotiating with decline the installation.

I have ordered one of the kits and reviewed the old directions. I am trying to get my hands on a techstream or use the home brew version since you need to do some programming. Back on my Tundra this programming wasn't needed.

I bought the Tundra kit and the instructions and everything seem to be the same as the LC/LX. I have installed everything and gotten to the point of registration but it keeps failing registration. Basically, starting on page 16 and then I get to step 7 k.
I have been trying to get it to register several times (before the Techstream step) and keep getting stuck.

I talked to the 12vSolutions guy (local to me in Tulsa) and if I go with his solution, I have to uninstall all of the OEM stuff. Anyone interested in buying it from me? I don't think it is a hardware issue with registering because the LX starts/runs/drives with no issues or lights.

Just incase you go this route, I picked up the 12vSoltions kit on black Friday and the install was as easy as could be. Only issue is the T-wire taps they give you to splice into the two BCM wires are junk. Was having all sorts of issues until I removed the T's and just made proper wire connections and everything works like a charm just like a factory unit. Let see if any issues arise but so far its great.

My 2020 HE was delivered with the factory accessory remote start option installed by dealer, I believe it is P/N PT398-60160. So it does exist and it does work.

What does the key fob look like?

OK, well I tried it as my tundra had that one. My 2020 LC HE does not have it. Thanks though.

Hey all, first meaningful post here. I just installed the remote start kit (PT398-60160) on a new-to-me 2018 LC with relative ease.

The kit was $293 from these guys 2016-2019 Toyota Land Cruiser Remote Start PT398-60160 | Boch Toyota South.

I also bought a $70 techstream cable off of amazon which I believe is a necessity.

The hardest part was finding the correct instructions, but I eventually did. The ones linked above are for the 09-15 kit PT398-60140) which is actually quite a bit different. I've attached the 16+ ones instructions. I was thinking of doing a DIY and taking a bunch of pictures, but honestly if you follow the instructions, you really can't go wrong.

My only minor snag was that it took a few tries for it to successfully register (6y-aa on pages 23 and 24 of the attached). I just kept trying and it was successful after the 4th try. It was probably just coincidence, but my successful try was also the first time I started with the hood "popped" vice fully open.

I probably didn't solve any of the above problems here, but at least if someone is researching doing it, all of the info is in this thread.

Attachments

• 18_my16 land cruiser remote engine starter issd.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 468

Were you able to ever get past the registration step? I'm having the same problem on my '15 remote start install

Kelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom