Anyone here ever submerged their gx470 and it started after? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well it was one of those days. I went out with a buddy to Bridgeport, TX Off-Road park just an hour west of where I live. Not long after we arrived we saw this small pond that only looked a foot deep, and we thought let’s cross this on the edge. Well it started to get a little deeper and I thought, nope not doing this today, I turned right a bit to head back and fell in a hole. Water over my hood and then because we didn’t have our recovery gear out and ready, water filled the inside up about 2 feet. We yanked it out and I’ve been drying things out all day. I’ve checked everything mechanically and it looks good so far.
However this is my question, when I go to turn the ignition over, I get nothing. The starter isn’t even trying to turn or anything. Any thoughts? I’m sure it’s something electrical, but just wanted to see what experience and advise y’all had. Thank you!

No personal experience. Did the gauge cluster turn on at all? The usually start up sequence still comes on?

Being that deep are you sure the engine is not hydro locked?

Check with all the basic. All fuses good?

No personal experience. Did the gauge cluster turn on at all? The usually start up sequence still comes on?

Being that deep are you sure the engine is not hydro locked?

Check with all the basic. All fuses good?
Yeah, gauge cluster comes on, and the usual sequence looks pretty normal. Today I will go thru all the fuses and electronics.
I’ve already pulled all the coils and spark plugs and no water is in the cylinders.

I would be impressed if you could get it started again....hoping you do! Makes me wonder why people would even bother to install snorkels on these vehicles. By the time the water level reaches the top of the hood you are risking multiple electronic systems not to mention swamping the interior. Maybe just unhook the battery, let it dry for a week and try starting it again if no fuses are blown?

I would be impressed if you could get it started again....hoping you do! Makes me wonder why people would even bother to install snorkels on these vehicles. By the time the water level reaches the top of the hood you are risking multiple electronic systems not to mention swamping the interior. Maybe just unhook the battery, let it dry for a week and try starting it again if no fuses are blown?

With an aftermarket bumper (and the ensuing OEM splash guard removal), even a few inches of water can splash up to the stock intake.

I doubt fresh water in the intake is the problem here, and even a little water in the intake while running is no big deal. My guess is a blown fuse or some other fried electronic box/brain.

I've submerged mine (I have a snorkel) and been fine. Ran through 3.5' or so as the deepest, but not at speed. Speed plus water is bad news. Make a wake, take it easy. I also put dielectric grease on things.

I've submerged mine (I have a snorkel) and been fine. Ran through 3.5' or so as the deepest, but not at speed. Speed plus water is bad news. Make a wake, take it easy. I also put dielectric grease on things.
Thanks for giving me hope in the future of my Rig. Did you get any water inside when you were moving thru the water? Maybe I need to replace all my door seals as well but I didn't really notice any water coming in until I got stuck for a few minutes.

If you stop it will leak. Don't stop. If you get into a water crossing that gets you stuck, you didn't plan it well enough. :)

Snorkels also help a lot when travelling through dust for miles and miles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom