Anyone have pics of their killswitch?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My old '91 used one of the window switches on the DS master panel.

kevinmrowland said:
Yeah, everybody, post up pictures of exactly how your vehicle security system works on an open internet forum.
Be sure to include, address and place of work, along with license plate #s.
Thanks!

New visitor to the 80 section?

I would be interested in ideas for a kill switch; especially those that involve shutting off the fuel flow after a delay. I read somewhere that the most effective theft deterrent was one where the vehicle disables itself after it has been driven a short distance. Seems those that simply refuse to start can be defeated by a pro but once he has moved the vehicle and it dies, the thief will abandon the vehicle rather than attempt to get it running in the middle of the road after their accomplice has driven off.

As for flipping the switch, the proximity activation methods seem to be the ideal way.

-B-

Last edited:
kevinmrowland said:
Yeah, everybody, post up pictures of exactly how your vehicle security system works on an open internet forum.
Be sure to include, address and place of work, along with license plate #s.
Thanks!

I was wondering why someone with an 85 model would be replying to my post in the 80 section.......and then I saw that you were from NY so that pretty much answered my question....and explains the typical smartass reply...

if anybody finds a good magnetic switch (i.e. hidden and operated with a magnet, please post info here. Always wanted one of these...

Here's my new kill switch:

Pull the coil wire, unplug the fuel pump connector under the rear drivers side rocker panel, pull the EFI fuse, and finally if you have the VIP alarm system, pull the ignition kill switch relay. Best of all it won't cost you a dime.

If you want to be really sneaky replace the ignition kill switch relay with the corroded out one that you get when your windshield leaks. ;p

If they figure out how to start the truck after that, they deserve it. :cheers:

CPJONES1231 said:
I was wondering why someone with an 85 model would be replying to my post in the 80 section.......and then I saw that you were from NY so that pretty much answered my question....and explains the typical smartass reply...

:cool: All in good humor.

I read the "new posts" and couldn't resist the photo request, besides I love all wagons, a lot of your guys ideas work well for 60 series and the other way around.

Your subject line caught my attention, kill switches are a favorite topic of mine. I do indeed have one "hidden" in plain site using a combination of stock switches to isolate the starter circuit. I am not posting photos of how it works though. :rolleyes:

There have been a couple great threads on this stuff recently, if you happened to miss them. One was in the 60/62 forum and the other was in international. I think both had "anti theft" in their subject line.

I highly recommend putting a kill switch in plain site, it brings a nice peace of mind.
Good luck.

CPJONES1231 said:

Maybe not the friendliest reply but he had a good point, This is a get together of good honest people sharing ideas and it feels that way but unfortunately what we write is open to anyone with a internet connection.

If I was a thief specializing in Land Cruisers it would be my first stop for “research”.

A simpler (perhaps) route would be to wire a simple switch into your fuel pump's power wire. Hide the switch and when it's off, your truck ain't going nowhere without fuel getting to the engine! No thief is going to look all over the truck at night in the dark for why the rig is turning over but not starting.

Dave

what does this EFI fuse do, exactly?

e9999 said:
what does this EFI fuse do, exactly?

Well if you pull it the truck will turn over but not start. I'm not sure how it's wired but I'm assuming it will kill the power to the fuel injection system. Well considering you can clear codes by pulling this fuse, it probably kills power to the ECU.

Darwood said:
Well considering you can clear codes by pulling this fuse, it probably kills power to the ECU.

It does. Repeatedly killing power and turning it on again every time you "arm" the kill switch would be hard on the ECU and the fuel mapping would start over every time with the associated erratic idle. Not the best solution for me.

-B-

In the center consul there are four obnoxiously looking nasty cheap coin holders (as if 80 owners stoop to carrying currency), I have removed these and replaced them with four OEM Toyota switches availavle from dan. They are series wired so that the four switches when in the right combination of on and off make continuity. This is my way but as of yet I have no connected it to the fuel pump as I'm not sure the best circuit to use. What's the concensus on this? I like the run for a mile and die thing

way back when, when I was still a pup (30 or so :D ), I put a switch in series with the coil IIRC. Probably in the ground wire, I don't recall. Of course, these were real coils back then. Probably can do something similar or related? Or would that fry electronics? (dang, life was simpler way back then... :) )

eh, didn't I do a thread some time back about relays activated by a remote control? That would do the trick nicely...

RavenTai said:
Maybe not the friendliest reply but he had a good point, This is a get together of good honest people sharing ideas and it feels that way but unfortunately what we write is open to anyone with a internet connection.

I'm thinking it's a New York/Tennessee thing :D. They called us a bunch of backwards hillbillies in the late 80's, and we still ain't gotten over that one. :hillbilly

CPJONES1231 said:

Rochesta? Oh yeah, that's in New York to.

4WD Toyota Owner Magazine said:
A simpler (perhaps) route would be to wire a simple switch into your fuel pump's power wire. Hide the switch and when it's off, your truck ain't going nowhere without fuel getting to the engine! No thief is going to look all over the truck at night in the dark for why the rig is turning over but not starting.

Dave

I think this is a good idea but you might have a dash in a thousand pieces before a thief gives up.

and THEN.... take off all lug nuts, and the DO get what they deserve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom