Anyone go back to stock bumper from swing outs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife is tired of the tire carrier and I haven't been wheeling as hard as we used to, so while we are running plenty of trails on a monthly basis, we aren't doing anything where the bumper is needed.

Anyone else switch back to OEM? I have the 4x4labs setup and kept all the stock parts to revert so no issue there.

I already have OME medium rate springs ready to go as well. I need to get a punch card for my alignment guys shop after the last year.

I posted in for sale in the off chance someone is looking, but am interested in feedback as I may keep it too.

If my spare would fit under the truck, I remove the swingouts in a heartbeat and enjoy my ARB bumper with no swingouts!

If my spare would fit under the truck, I remove the swingouts in a heartbeat and enjoy my ARB bumper with no swingouts!
I drove 10,000 miles across the USA with no spare lol. Even wheeled a little in Utah and CO too.

I figure KO2 would never pop so I drove without a spare, yolo

I drove 10,000 miles across the USA with no spare lol. Even wheeled a little in Utah and CO too.

I figure KO2 would never pop so I drove without a spare, yolo
I was moving from Columbus to Cleveland this past January, swingout not yet installed on my 4x4Labs bumper, U-Haul trailer nearly full of my garage contents, 1 AM, tire blows. Spare is in the garage at my old house I just sold, Had to call my wife and have her drive it to me in middle of the night. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

Last edited:
I always carry a spare, including on my trailers - so would need to weld my winch back in underneath.

A large part of this is that our use has changed a bit over the last few years. While we get out onto trails a few times a month, the stuff we do doesn't dish out damage, so long as we stay off when there is ice. I do like that I haven't heard my hitch drag since I installed the bumper though.

For my uses the cruiser back in it's nearly stock form is probably the right setup and I'm just coming around to that concept.

I always carry a spare, including on my trailers - so would need to weld my winch back in underneath.

A large part of this is that our use has changed a bit over the last few years. While we get out onto trails a few times a month, the stuff we do doesn't dish out damage, so long as we stay off when there is ice. I do like that I haven't heard my hitch drag since I installed the bumper though.

For my uses the cruiser back in it's nearly stock form is probably the right setup and I'm just coming around to that concept.
personally i hear what your saying but if it was me i would probably just remove the swingout. frees up quick access to the rear end of the truck but at the same time still offers protection (even if its a light rear end collision or something, not necessarily protection on the trail but that's nice too. ya never know what can happen)

you have already spent the money on it, you wont get it back, so you might as well leave it on. BTW i looked at you FS ad and your truck looks awesome so that may be swaying my opinion ;) but I'm a firm believer in "having it and not needing it, rather than, Needing it and not having it"

Have you tried to fit your 35" spare underneath? I believe without the hitch, you can fit a 315/75R16. ARB already has a hitch.

personally i hear what your saying but if it was me i would probably just remove the swingout. frees up quick access to the rear end of the truck but at the same time still offers protection (even if its a light rear end collision or something, not necessarily protection on the trail but that's nice too. ya never know what can happen)

you have already spent the money on it, you wont get it back, so you might as well leave it on. BTW i looked at you FS ad and your truck looks awesome so that may be swaying my opinion ;) but I'm a firm believer in "having it and not needing it, rather than, Needing it and not having it"

This is a good idea, I've seen a number of local guys covering their spindles with some PVC, etc. I've thought about it - fabricating something to hoist my tire up underneath, but I'm then back to the issue of "what is the point?" :)

I don't want to be switching back and forth with the tire, and with the 4x4labs being so high clearance, the tire would likely be hanging out the bottom. I can't sacrifice the interior space to store it there...so I'm thinking its either keep it on the outside on the swingout or go back to OEM and stick the tire underneath again.

Thanks for the compliment on the ride!

This is a good idea, I've seen a number of local guys covering their spindles with some PVC, etc. I've thought about it - fabricating something to hoist my tire up underneath, but I'm then back to the issue of "what is the point?" :)

I don't want to be switching back and forth with the tire, and with the 4x4labs being so high clearance, the tire would likely be hanging out the bottom. I can't sacrifice the interior space to store it there...so I'm thinking its either keep it on the outside on the swingout or go back to OEM and stick the tire underneath again.

Thanks for the compliment on the ride!
If you don't care too much about the tire hanging out the bottom, it might be worth it to check how much the tire might affect your departure angle. Maybe it is able to still be tucked up enough that it doesn't really effect it, so it all becomes a looks question.

For clearance sake, I'd just go with a skinny spare underneath with spare tire lift mod. The skinniest tire is probably the 255/85R16 (33"+). Should you have larger 35" tires, get the Aisin selectable hubs and always be sure to mount the small diameter tire in the front. Long drive home, set the hubs in freewheel, CDL-locked and you'll be RWD all the way home. It'll veer to one side but it'll be fine.

Appreciate all the input - I just put my 33 up under the vehicle with my hydraulic jack table and it sticks out well beneath the labs bumper. It's not about clearance really; its more that I don't want to modify the 4x4labs bumper just to have a tire stick out. I also don't to buy/mount another tire and have mismatches (or get rid of my current full size spare), its more effort and not an optimal setup. I like to rotate all 5 tires to extend the life cycle I get from them as well as having a full size matching set.

This has been helpful! I'm just going to go with one of the following:
1. Keep the 4x4labs bumper on there as it is
2. Sell it and put everything back to OEM if I find a buyer for the labs bumper.

Not exactly the same situation, but I previously added a Wilco tire carrier because my 34in spare wouldn't fit under the truck. I had the same issue though - both I and my wife got tired of the swing out to access the back of the truck. Add to that the fact that we bike a lot and have a travel trailer.

I'm also selling the tire carrier but am looking into the Dissent rear bumper without the swing outs. From the threads I've read it will fit my 34 no problem, and in the rare care I need a full size spare I still have the option without a carrier.

Have you tried to fit your 35" spare underneath? I believe without the hitch, you can fit a 315/75R16. ARB already has a hitch.
I know I ma replying more than a year later, but I did finally try to fit my 295-70-18 (only 34.3") tire in the spare and it wouldn't fit. Any chance you might be willing to share what, if any, modifications were required? Any pics of the spare?

I'm not going to lie, I took my swing outs off to rebuild the spindles. I went to the store, ONCE, and almost left them off. Getting into the back of the truck without having to dance around a wet or dirty tire, pull latches and hope you don't knock somebody out walking along side your truck when they swing all the way out is really nice.

I know I ma replying more than a year later, but I did finally try to fit my 295-70-18 (only 34.3") tire in the spare and it wouldn't fit. Any chance you might be willing to share what, if any, modifications were required? Any pics of the spare?
I haven't had a spare tire down there in a long time but from my recollection, if the spare is hitting the pan hard, you can pull the spare away from it while cranking up the spare.... so the spare is a bit offset from it's natural position. What part is the spare hitting?

Op I feel you

33’s, stock bumpers, hidden winch mount if needed , trim bumpers for clearance if needed

call it a day

The amount of “overland” vehicles…. built to the hilt, bumpers, racks, tents, snorkels, blah etc… I see running around .. is a turn off. Most are pavement queens.
I prefer mostly stock.. wolf is sheep’s clothes in my older age. The 100 is disgustingly capable without any mods

I haven't had a spare tire down there in a long time but from my recollection, if the spare is hitting the pan hard, you can pull the spare away from it while cranking up the spare.... so the spare is a bit offset from it's natural position. What part is the spare hitting?
It was hitting both the pan hard bar and the rear cross member. May be I didn't try hard enough?

1700335958314.png

What's in the way?

I really like the idea of the additional protection of a steel rear bumper, but dealing with swing outs on a daily basis is a deal breaker. I'm ok with some of the spare being visible. When the time comes I'm considering one of the kit bumpers and modifying to keep the spare underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom