Anyone every buy parts from Aus over IG? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for parts for a Hilux actually but from a cruiser dealer over IG. Its a larger purchase for body panels so a little hesitant. Don't know if I'll be able to find the part locally. Other options are much more expensive like importing a donor vehicle or traveling myself to the middle east. So if anyone's ever done business like this over Instagram please let me know. Thank you!

Buyer beware. Always. X1000 if it's via social media.

If it's a large purchase from a "dealer", do they have a website you can order online using a secure payment page?
Use credit card or PayPal so you have some buyer protection.

What have you done to verify they are legit?

The old saying, if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is.

Where abouts in Aus is the dealer? Are you able to share the name?

i'm still in the prelim stages. There are a few of them. Don't seem new, lots of followers if that means anything. Have a good supply of 70 and 80 series parts mainly. I still need to do a video call with them to look at the part since its a big one, the bed of a Hilux. Not sure where they are located yet. Names are
landcruiser_parts_for_sale01
cruiser_parts_for_sale_

i'm still in the prelim stages. There are a few of them. Don't seem new, lots of followers if that means anything. Have a good supply of 70 and 80 series parts mainly. I still need to do a video call with them to look at the part since its a big one, the bed of a Hilux. Not sure where they are located yet. Names are
landcruiser_parts_for_sale01
cruiser_parts_for_sale_
Those are totally scam accounts. I get added by 1 or 2 a week on IG.

Yeah thats why I asked. Good to know. Thanks. The names are weird but they know their parts and they speak english. oh well, back to the drawing board...

Same issue here.. I got added, parts and prices shipped are just too good to be true.. their payment methods are through Zelle or cash app but no mention of PayPal or credit cards..

Same issue here.. I got added, parts and prices shipped are just too good to be true.. their payment methods are through Zelle or cash app but no mention of PayPal or credit cards..
Run Forrest Run🏃‍♂️

We have a heap of support for LCs here but because there's such high demand there are scammers everywhere trying to get vehicles, strip them of parts, and flog the parts. Nearly all stolen 4wd's that don't get burnt out end up as parts and the owner will never see the vehicle again. Fortunately this is NOT ultra-common with 80's as 80's are old now but it still occurs.

There are some very legit 4wd wrecker businesses all around Australia though.

i mean i was hesitant when they asked for my ssn but i really wanted the part
I've heard of this where shippers try to demand you provide a government ID number before they will agree to a sale, but that should never happen here. SSN's are irrelevant to any Australian seller. It's like a US seller asking me to provide my Australian TFN (Tax File Number) or Centrelink CRN (Customer Reference Number) or even my Australian drivers license (car not train!) number. Phone number yeah because sometimes crap happens and a shipper needs to contact the recipient. But beyond address, phone number, and cleared payment, nothing else is needed.

What caught my attention beyond all the other sketchy things they said was - "I will tell the shipper its a gift less $ in custom fees and charges".

Thats what really raised my eyebrow.

Thanks guys.. there are others doing the same thing on the gram... keep your eyes out for it and forward the knowledge..

Thanks.

Lol I only now worked out that by 'IG' it meant Instagram. I've never used that site or Twitter and would consider any sellers on there like trying to trade via the Dark Web. Anyone asking for any sort of government ID number is not genuine and is an organised scammer/criminal trying to operate a phishing scam. I don't know if the site admins have anything in the general areas of the site warning people about online scams, but automotive trading is full of criminal scamming, and general thugs, ruffians and rip-off merchants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom