Anyone ever tried or seen Dobinsons on Gen1? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve searched high and low for anyone with experience running or seeing dobinsons suspension on a 1st gen 4Runner. Anyone doing this? I emailed them some specific questions and got back part numbers for my 86 4Runner including front leafs.... this in concerning for obvious reasons. Just curious if anyone has tried it out. In the end I’ll probably go with OME but I know I’ll have to modify the rear springs for an honest 2” (not 3-4 super stiff which seems to be actual results for people) which is frustrating, and something the suppliers don’t tell you or pretend not to know.

Any dobinsons users?

Mahalo!

Last edited:
I put the OME stock height on my 85 running and they are stiff, I would not use them again, hell I even removed them from my fj80 and went with dobinsons much better ride.
I've liked OME in the past, but I have not seen anyone use dobinsons on our 1st gen trucks. The customer service didn't seem to know much which wasn't helpful. But at least they tried. I just have no idea what the springs will do. I want to get it right. A lot of the companies that get high praise on the forums don't know either. The just want to sell you their kit. You will have to figure it out when its too high or stiff. I think they have the other series nailed down, but these trucks and 1st gen runners are the oddball. I would love to see/hear first hand experience of dobinsons on one of our trucks... Right now I'm just in stand by mode...

I snapped a rear leaf and ended up going with Ironman rear springs. I had to remove some leaves to get the ride height I wanted, but they seem to ride really nice and the price wasn't bad. We will see how they hold up.

Dobinson, from what i gathered, is a tried and true Ausy brand but OME had their over seas distribution nailed for way longer than other Australian suspension companies. When I lifted my FJ60 I went with Tough Dog because of the stellar reviews I dug up. The ride was amazing compared to my friends truck with OME. I read that Dobinson was on par with Tough Dog. Just things I read. If I ever but different suspension on my 85' Im going to go with Dobinson. Just my 2 cents.

After several emails with the Dobinsons rep this is what I have gathered.... their IFS kit rear springs are only available in one pack and they are rated for 2” at 220 pounds constant load and will settle after 1000 miles. To adjust for a less weighted truck the suggestion is to remove the 3rd leaf from the pack for a 2” over stock. Still allow 1000 miles for settling but probably a bit less.

I think I may very well be a lab rat for the dobinsons. Their customer service has been patient and helped me with info without first demanding I buy something then helping. I will probably place an order right after my bumper gets here and my sliders are fabbed up. I will keep the group informed.

I know when i bought ome for the fourrunner they were back ordered for a few months. Hell that was back in 2015. My dobinsons for my 80 were back ordered fr0m dec 2020 to march 2021. Covid has screwed everything up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom