Anyone ever order parts from SOR? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

Any of you guys ever order parts from SOR (Specter Off Road)? To me they seem to have the most extensive variety of parts and I love their online catalog with the assembly drawings.

I am looking to see if anyone has used them before and how their experience was. Primarily, I am wondering about shipping to Ontario, is it ridiculouse priced? Are there big customs issues? I am looking at getting some different parts from them, things that range from body mount kits, new dampers, brake components, and even floor / bumper panels.

If you don't like SOR, what has been your source for parts?

have you tried to source local? there are many people who got parts... there are other options like shops on the west coast.

sor is in cali, so yea you are going to have to pay for shipping, is it worth it for used parts?

even sometimes it might be cheaper to buy from toyota( brake parts) so you dont have to pay for shipping.

sorry, ive never ordered from them.

i can say that ive shipped parts to california, like once a tire, that was 90$ shpping, and once i sent a hub and a radio from a fj62 and shpping was $55

Hey lost,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the feedback and kinda confirms what I figured. Haven't tried sourcing these parts at the dealership, just assumed they would be super expensive, but like you mentioned when you factor in shipping, might not be ahead at all.

What kind of parts are you looking forJason? Body stuff or mechanical parts? Some body stuff you can have a sheet metal shop fab up. Other body parts like doors , fenders may be found used from some one . If you want post up what you're looking for and we'll see if anyone in the club can help you out.
Dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Right now the list is getting longer by the day and they range in:
1) body mounts and hardware
2) Rear floor panel
3) Rear floor cross members
4) Rear bumper cross memeber

I considered the option of having a local shop fab up some of the panels like the rear floor and rear bumper cross member, but wanted to check what you guys might suggest. I guess it really depends on the parts eh.

from the list it is starting to look like an aqualu 3/4 tub or a gozzard full fiberglass tub might be a option...

Hey Crushers, at some point I might have to consider that. What is still making try to salvage the tub is that the main cross member right behind the seats is solid. In addition the hard top main rail and rear sill are in good shape. Even with a half tub I would still need the new rear bumper, probably aslo the angled gussets, is tough to say until I get it all wire wheeled and get a good look with the floor out. Right not still cross bracing but that will be done in the next couple of days. Will keep the tubs in mind though for sure, at some point it might come to that.

rust is an evil master, once it has a hold on you ... it wins.

i have been refurbishing cruisers for almost 30 years now and i have learned the hard way that a better investment is in replacement.
also
sand blasting works WAY better than a wire wheel or grinder.

here is my suggestion, take it for what it is worth.
strip the truck to a bare frame
take the frame and go find a DIY sand blaster firm that rents the industrial sand blasters by the hour/minute. an industrial sand blaster will take roughly 60 min to sand blast a frame, even for a newbie. even if it takes 2 hours you are WAY ahead of cost of wire wheels, face shield, hearing protection, gloves and your time. time is not free, even if it is your own.
then get the frame galvanized, prep and paint. done.

next is the springs and diffs so you have a rolling chassis, strip the diffs and sand blast them, paint and replace the seals and bearings (cheap insurance), new brakes if needed.
now the srings, sand blast them, paint them, put graphite paint between each leaf, replace the bushings and do the same with the spring pins and shackels. grease the pins and shackels with a water resistant grease.

once you have the diffs and springs under then you can proceed to the engine, tranny and t/case and driveshafts.
IF the engine is tight with excellent compression then just paint with highheat paint and install new water pump, hoses, belts *although i would recommend removing the head and checking the prechambers as they are notorious for being cracked and if one drops then it is time for a new motor* move on. new clutch is in order since it is just the cost of the parts with the engine and tranny seperated. if the tranny worked find before then leave it alone and sand blast and paint.
then move on to the t/case. excellent time to rebuild the t/case. a kit is cheap.
now assemble the unit and install new motor mounts and reinstall into the frame.
next is the driveshafts, tear them down, sand blast and paint, put new u/joints in and install back into the frame.

now you are ready to inspect the rad and recore or replace if necessary.

next you are onto brake lines, fuel lines and steering components. replace if any sign of rust or wear.

the body is next and it is at this point that you will need to make a decision on how long you are keeping the truck and if you are going to be selling it.

I have bought from SOR several times. They can be pricy,but often they have competative prices,especially during a sale.

My biggest beef is they only ship via UPS and they suck at crossborder shipping. There is always a bogus broker fee they tack on that I need to pay at the door. It is at least $30, and goes up according to some schedule.

When it is convenient, I get it shipped to a Montana address and then pick it up and bring it through customs myself.

I do try to buy local when possible.

that is an option here to, ship to NewYork mailing address and drive over to pick up. cheaper shipping, no brokerage fees and super simple.
i tried it with the last set of tires i go and saved hundreds on a set of 6 ...

use these guys, cheap and just over the border maybe 5 min ... : U.S. Address

I have used them a number of times.
Personally and for customers.
Yes a bit pricey but if u need that rare part they got it.
Once I received a dash cover that was damaged, took a picture emailed them and 3 days later a another new part came free of charge!
Worth the price.

SOR Cruiser parts

JD

I have ordered parts from SOR in the past, like Landblazer said they cost a little more but they are fast.

Also, look to see if the parts are repro, if that matters to you.

Crushers had a great point, a P.O Box is a really good idea.

Cheers

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom