anyone ever make a slide out from tailgate bed/tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking it would be possible "the technology exists" to have a slide out bed platform - that would come out of the back tailgate - be supported by the tailgate/rear floor on one end - and by some legs (approximately 2' long) on the other end. Then have a tent that would enclose it with an opening into the rear of the LC, and a zippered opening on the outside end.

I don't mind sleeping in the LC, but don't like moving all my stuff into the front seat to do so. I also don't like the limited headroom (my sleeping platform is raised for storage below and to be above the rear wheel wells.)

Im thinking of ways to get more comfort camping without going for a trailer. I also don't see my wife and I going up a ladder to sleep in a roof top tent. My thought is to use a second battery system to provide some heat when needed.

Anyone try this? Any suggestions?

(My wife thinks I'm a bit off my rocker on this, but she can't always be right. Can she???!)

Gil

I hear you. I sleep in the back of mine, and with my platform there is not enough head room to sit up.

Land Rover LR3's had an optional platform that would slide out to the edge of the tailgate. They also made a tent set-up that fit the back. What you're looking to do has almost already been done. My only concern would be cost. RTT are getting cheaper day by day.

Jim

I'm encouraged that someone has made something similar. (I was unable to find a picture of the land rover LR3 with their platform.)

I am going to buy this tent and see if I can adapt it (It was one of the few I could find with a door on both ends.) It is a bit wider than I wanted, but has a good height and is said to be well made. Was about $160 with labor day sale.

Alps Mountaineering Tasmanian Copper/Rust - 5255605

I'll let you know if it works out (unlikely, since my wife is virtually always right!)

Gil

If you do it you will need to form a seal around back of Cruiser. Depending on what critters you have where you camp. On White Rim Trail had Kangaroo Rats find a way up to tailgate and into my lifted rig. Had to get them out a couple of times. You really do not want to try to get them out of the dash.

I say just get a rooftop tent.... keep the princess happy and move on!
A good idea, but ladders are out. I may end up with a trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom