Anyone ever do a COIL SPRING conversion??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever done a coil over converion on a 40 or 60?? It think it would be cool to try it out somehow with the OME coils for the FJ-80?? Any thoughts on how it might work???

I did it. I've written a few posts about it with a bunch of pics, but I can't find them using the search feature. I hope to take some flex pics later this week. I used 80 control arms, shock towers and upper spring perches. Lost a little flex, gained a much better ride. I will attemp to get the flex back when I get it on the road here shortly.

There is a company in Australia that sells them.They remove all but 2 leaf springs and add coils.
Works well. Sorry can't remember their name. Try searching Aussie sites for pics

[quote author=aussie75series link=board=1;threadid=3861;start=0#msg28773 date=1059136560]
There is a company in Australia that sells them.They remove all but 2 leaf springs and add coils.
Works well. Sorry can't remember their name. Try searching Aussie sites for pics
[/quote]
Leafs and coils on the same axle or leafs on one axle coils on the other? I'd love to see pics if it includes coils and leafs on the same axle :eek:

Ken Hanna, (Hanna Quality) has a coil sprung 40 that he built for himself. I don't know the particulars of the conversion but I have seen the vehicle in person and it looks good.

You can see a couple of photos of it on his website: www.hannaquality.com I have a pair of his 80 series sliders and they are VERY well made.

My .02, Dan.

nice... i would buy it if i had the money but buying it allready basically complete is not any fun. Half the fun is building the truck up.

yeah, that thing is pretty sick lookin.
i like the cut-out hood.

i would buy a lot of things if i had the bills. right now i'm thinking about gettin some hardee's biscuits for breakfast if i can scrape up the change. haha.

jonathan

G'day guy's the ozzy company that putts coils with 2 leafsprings is Cumfort coils. Dont know if they have a web site or not. Ill try and find it for you.
But for some trick suspension try WWW.calbah.com.au
They make five link front and three or four link rear in coil
or air bags its worth a look

[quote author=Design311 link=board=1;threadid=3861;start=0#msg28800 date=1059153563]
Leafs and coils on the same axle or leafs on one axle coils on the other? I'd love to see pics if it includes coils and leafs on the same axle :eek:
[/quote]
Guy in my club has got coils and leafs F&R. The coils are strut-type coil-over-shocks and are mounted like normal shocks. Apparently they were sold as a way to liven up sagging leafs. The guy said they ride absolutely horribly and ASAP he's replacing them with lift springs and new shocks.

the australian company (actually there are a couple), uses regular coils, like those off an 80 or something, with two leaf springs in the same system. the idea is that the truck rides on the coils normally, (softer ride) and the leaf springs are used as locating devices, and also come into play when the truck is fully loaded up, to retain load capacity. also increases flex, as it's similar to removing leafs from a standard spring pack.

i was going to buy a 40 with this system, but the owner was asking more than the 40 i eventually got, and it had rust holes the size of my head in the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom