Anyone else’s wipers do this?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so regardless if I put a 14 or 16 inch wiper on the rig, I have this annoying gap that likes to collect ice and snow, eventually pushing the wiper off the glass as it freezes

I did the 4Runner wiper upgrade which is great, but even buying the premium rain x latitude wipers I get the weird overhang seen here.

Is anyone using wipers that have a big enough curve that it actually hugs the glass? What are they ??

3A904163-F5D9-4F59-8B6D-953C807BB33C.jpeg

They all do it. Solution is to not drive in the ice and snow. :steer:

Maybe so, but I haven't noticed or don't recall that mine do this. Solution is to scrape windshield, right?
Or does this happen as you're driving?

It’s as I drive, the wiper contacts the rest of the windshield except for that small area, about two inches. As it moves back and fourth it builds a nice layer of ice across this spot that gets bigger and bigger

Maybe I should try Bosch Icon blades with more of a curve ?? I’ve been a slave to the rain x blades but honestly they’re not all that great

Springs in wiper arms weak?

In rain, mine chatter even with new good quality blades. Next step for me is R&R the arms.

Wonder if they are still available?

No chatter on mine, it’s just that exposed area where the blade isn’t curved enough. Maybe rain x is just a joke

Is that Rain-X model specific for winter use? I've lost track but there have been wipers rated for cold/snow.

Common types of rubber and plastic get progressively harder and inflexible as the temp drops. Blades like yours have a plastic spine. Wonder if they stiffen to the point they cannot conform to the curve of the WS?

The plastic spine is probably injection molded. Easy to get stress molded into such a part. At low temp, the plastic shrinks and the molded in stress warps the plastic spine....conjecture on my part.

Last edited:
Springs in wiper arms weak?

In rain, mine chatter even with new good quality blades. Next step for me is R&R the arms.

Wonder if they are still available?

My experience is that if new blades chatter, then the arms are not parallel to the glass, especially if they only chatter in one direction. The blade should touch perpendicular to the glass.

I use the (ubiquitous in New England) old fashioned, rubber bagged Anco winter blades with good results. Still have the gap for the last half inch. Running your cabin temp ridiculously hot will help slow ice build up if you're on the highway and can't stop to scrape the ice from the outside edge of the passenger side window. I've been known to scrape the driver's side in desperation while under way (not recommended).

For those New Englander Mudders out there trying to survive another January:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSvNhxKJJyU

My experience is that if new blades chatter, then the arms are not parallel to the glass, especially if they only chatter in one direction. The blade should touch perpendicular to the glass.

I use the (ubiquitous in New England) old fashioned, rubber bagged Anco winter blades with good results. Still have the gap for the last half inch. Running your cabin temp ridiculously hot will help slow ice build up if you're on the highway and can't stop to scrape the ice from the outside edge of the passenger side window. I've been known to scrape the driver's side in desperation while under way (not recommended).

For those New Englander Mudders out there trying to survive another January:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSvNhxKJJyU

My girlfriend can’t call me a lunatic anymore for rolling the window to clear the sides now!! I’m not alone!!

I do wish that the heat would defrost better than it does.....doesn’t help that it’s literally 6 degrees out there so with that being said I guess the pig does pretty good

I use the (ubiquitous in New England) old fashioned, rubber bagged Anco winter blades with good results. S

Common theme to my warm & rain chatter problem is that (1) it mostly chatters in one direction, (2) when the wiper arm reverses direction he rubber blade does not "roll over". So it is trying to slide with the "cutting edge" forward instead of with the edge trailing like it should.

To correct this out of parallel condition do you bend the arms?

The rubber bagged Anco is one I remember. There are more recent types as well.

The FJ40 I had was terrible about the wipers freezing up. Have not driven the 60 in snow much.

So it is trying to slide with the "cutting edge" forward instead of with the edge trailing like it should.

To correct this out of parallel condition do you bend the arms?

The blade should be supple and fold like a paint brush with the edge trailing no matter the direction.

Yes, bend the arm. They are pretty stiff. I think mine bent from a heavy ice load glaciating down while parked for several days.

The blade should be supple and fold like a paint brush with the edge trailing no matter the direction.

Yes, bend the arm. They are pretty stiff. I think mine bent from a heavy ice load glaciating down while parked for several days.

My 89 Toyota pickup and the FJ60 do the same thing with the blade not reversing - even with new blades.

I'll try bending them.

Thanks!

p.s. The A. Jackson quote is a good one.

Last edited:
I use the (ubiquitous in New England) old fashioned, rubber bagged Anco winter blades with good results.

Same here. Have for years on multiple different vehicles. Put them on in December and take them off in April. I can usually get 2 winters from a set. The rubber boot dies from UV before the wiper blade.

I've had the same problem on mine and on other vehicles. Drives me nuts! The old style wipers with the swivel arms(see pic) usually work better because the curve of the windshield presses on it like a lever, helping to push the tip down. I still get a little gap but it's better. Of course, then the swivels freeze sometimes which presents another problem :doh:

wipers.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom