Anyone ceramic tint the 200 windshield? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Searched but didn't see any specific feedback on this topic.

Planning to move back to TX. I've been told that ceramic tint all around is highly advised due to the heat and to get the windshield done since its the biggest piece of glass on the vehicle. My local Tintworld is advocating for 85% ceramic tint on the windshield. I have heard that on some cars this is a no-go because it can mess with driving aids (IE Tesla) or cause issues driving at night due to oncoming headlight light fragmentation.

I wanted to see if anyone here had their 200 windshield ceramic tinted. Would be grateful if you couple take a couple min to answer a few Qs:
- Did you have any issues with LDA and cruise control (which uses the LDA camera ontop of the sensor in the grill)? How about with driving at night?
- If no issues, what type and % tint did you use?
- Any issues with wipers?
- Did you notice a different with heat reduction?
- What % did you get done on your driver and passenger windows?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I got my windshield ceramic tinted on my '11 LX.

Can't speak to the driving aids as I don't have any on my car. (no radar cruise, pre-collision).

I went with the Llumar Air90. I like it as it is almost invisible and does not hinder driving at night.

I have had no issue with wipers or the Auto wiper function that utilizes the sensor near the rearview mirror.

I have noticed a significant reducation in heat coming in thorugh the front. The black dash and tan leather seats do not get near as hot when the car is left in the sun. The car remains a comfortable temperature even when outside for extended periods. I also notice I don't need my sunglasses near as often as the film blocks a lot of the bright rays.

I went with Llumar 35% on the front two windows as that is what the legal limit is here in NC.

I have 70% Xpel Prime XR Plus on the front windshield of my 11 LX. Cuts down on glare and heat reduction is noticeable. My only regret is not doing the same 55% as on my wife's Model Y. Tint installers know to leave open the camera so nothing interferes with the safety tech. Had no issues with features being limited on my '20 Supra and our old '18 Odyssey, both of which had radar cruise control and the Odyssey had LKA

I have 15% on the front two windows, unknown darkness tint on the rest from the prior owner

- It won't interfere with LDA unless it was Installed between the glass and camera, which no reasonable installer would do.
- Any issues with wipers? no, the film is installed on the inside.

I haven't had it done because it isn't legal in my state and I couldn't find an installer willing to do it. I was hoping to get llumar air 80 clear installed all around, but I don't care enough anymore to actively seek an installer or do it myself. I have also heard good things about 3M Crystalline CR90 too.

The shop should not even be working where the integrated sensors are located. They’re behind the plastic shroud around the rear view mirror. Tint should be cut around that housing anyway.

Thanks all very helpful. Agree that the shop should be smart enough to work around...I am not sure what the shop did on the Tesla I heard about...

I just had mine done recently and left it outside yesterday when it got up to 80 just to see how much cooler it is inside. I can say it is a VERY noticeable difference in heat reduction compared to no film. I had the driver and passenger windows done in Llumar IRX 30% (they said even though legal limit in TX is 25% if you put a 25% film on it will more than likely meter illegal so they do 30%), I had all of the rear side windows and rear window done with the same IRX film to what they said is the equivalent of 15% once layered on the factory tint. The front was done in Llumar Air 80 which I cannot tell any sort of difference in transparency, even at night. Only crappy picture I've taken since it was done below; 10/10 would do again and recommend wholeheartedly

oY8TRMsh.jpg

I have Llumar ILX 40% on my windshield with no issues whatsoever ('21 HE). I did have issues with my '17 when I tried Huper Optik as it has some weird materials that will jack up a GPS signal so I had to remove that. I also have the 40% on the sunroof and all rear glass but 15% on the driver and passenger windows. Pretty close to matching and very very good with heat rejection. Legal limit in NC is 35% and you aren't allowed anything on the windshield but nobody ever gets pulled over for it, at least with a nice vehicle.

Can't remember the film type, but can speak to the benefits of the front tint....one of my favorite mods honestly. I typically am fairly sensitive to sunlight, and with the minor tint don't even reach for sunglasses half the time.

At least for mine, I have noticed that polarized sunglasses do tend to produce a bit of rainbow effect with the tint, this is not existent if you don't use polarized.

I have Llumar ILX 40% on my windshield with no issues whatsoever ('21 HE). I did have issues with my '17 when I tried Huper Optik as it has some weird materials that will jack up a GPS signal so I had to remove that. I also have the 40% on the sunroof and all rear glass but 15% on the driver and passenger windows. Pretty close to matching and very very good with heat rejection. Legal limit in NC is 35% and you aren't allowed anything on the windshield but nobody ever gets pulled over for it, at least with a nice vehicle.
Around here a lot of people get pulled over for any tint not factory, even though any tint level is legal. Heck, even a lot of people with just factory tint if it is a dark day that makes the tint look darker than it is. Anything on the front door windows or windshield will definitely get you pulled over.

Last edited:
Around here a lot of people get pulled over for any tint not factory, even though any tint level is legal. Heck, even a lot of people with just factory tint if it is a dark day that makes the tint look darker than it is. Anything on the front door windows or windshield will definitely get you pulled over.

Definitely check with any LEOs you know and find out how strict they are before you do anything. The ones around here will only pull you over for tint if they suspect you are doing something else and just use that as an excuse. But that is normally the crappier cars that have super dark tint in not so good areas that are hiding illicit materials. You have a nice car in a nice area and you aren't being an idiot, you can get away with 5% on all your glass here in NC.

Ive put Llumar Air80 on all of my previous vehicle’s front windshields (LC, 4R, Highlander, Volvo, Raptor, JKU) and never had any issues with safety stuff. Also put Stratos15 on all the other windows. The windshield really makes a huge difference on how hot the inside gets.

Definitely check with any LEOs you know and find out how strict they are before you do anything. The ones around here will only pull you over for tint if they suspect you are doing something else and just use that as an excuse. But that is normally the crappier cars that have super dark tint in not so good areas that are hiding illicit materials. You have a nice car in a nice area and you aren't being an idiot, you can get away with 5% on all your glass here in NC.

Ya, so while I wish this was completely true, I would caution anyone in NC from taking this advice without being prepared to fail your inspection when registration comes due. Yes, I see cars everyday with illegal tint and somehow they manage to get a pass but I recently removed tint after failing inspection due to my front windows "only" being 22% when metered. More and more inspection shops are feeling the pressure from the state to enforce what's on the books or risk losing their inspection license. But I also realize, a quick drive around town illustrates plenty of folks pass inspection without an issue (I agree that LEO doesn't seem to care). So if you know a shop that doesn't care, great. But also realize you might have to find that shop or simply tint within the legal limits to avoid that hassle.

Ya, so while I wish this was completely true, I would caution anyone in NC from taking this advice without being prepared to fail your inspection when registration comes due. Yes, I see cars everyday with illegal tint and somehow they manage to get a pass but I recently removed tint after failing inspection due to my front windows "only" being 22% when metered. More and more inspection shops are feeling the pressure from the state to enforce what's on the books or risk losing their inspection license. But I also realize, a quick drive around town illustrates plenty of folks pass inspection without an issue (I agree that LEO doesn't seem to care). So if you know a shop that doesn't care, great. But also realize you might have to find that shop or simply tint within the legal limits to avoid that hassle.

Always ask the inspection place if they will fail for tint before you go. If they fail you then its an issue. It's not hard to find a place that will pass you as that is kind of the wheelhouse of the smaller stations is working things through dealerships won't.

We used to have fairly flexible inspection station standard adherance in my state until they implemented a new system with multiple photos of the vehicles, then the state started cracking down on shops, enforcing rules that had been on the books forever and fining stations/taking inspection licenses. The intent is good, but it ends up resulting in petty items being enforced. No windshield or front side window tint is allowed here. The days of finding the tiny shop and flipping the guy a $20 are long gone.

I tinted my windshield with Llumar Stratos 70 and it makes a huge difference. Lots of glass in the 200 and I don't find the 70 to be too dark, even at night on unlit roads. The lower temps after tinting are definitely noticeable and lower UV exposure is also very nice to have as well. Also did my front windows and sunroof with Stratos 35 and everything behind in 15.

Edit: I'm in CA, sounds like other states are more strict on tint. I will say that I have the Llumar Air 80 or Air 90 on my 100 and it is great as well. Not as much heat reduction as the 70% but difficult to impossible to tell it was there by simple visual inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom