Anybody using canvas covers on their trailer bows ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to design a removable bow top for my Bantam T3-C but am finding very little to go on. The bow's themselves can be easily made with my tube bender. However, I'm not sure about covering them. I would like something like post #16 in this thread Trailer cover needs to be waterproof and able to withstand highway speeds.

Check your local awning company. My buddy who owns a company offered to make one for mine. Id assume they have the right materials to do so.

Check your local awning company. My buddy who owns a company offered to make one for mine. Id assume they have the right materials to do so.

That's a good idea, I will check on that one. My other thought was your should be able to use a square tarp and fold the excess back at the corners, it just wouldn't roll up. Having roll up sides would be a huge bonus though.

I looked into this and ended up downloading the specifications for humvee sof tops. From memory they are 22oz vinyl not anything lighter. I'd go with that weight for design.

I looked into this and ended up downloading the specifications for humvee sof tops. From memory they are 22oz vinyl not anything lighter. I'd go with that weight for design.

Did you end up making a top for a trailer then ?

Did you end up making a top for a trailer then ?

No, but I bought two OEM military ones for my M101 Canadian Trailer. My research is aimed at making a soft top for my 40 which a a future project.

You can just use a tarp... here is my David Bradley trailer with a flat tarp... corners are folded over (wrapped corners)

And another trailer from online that also used the wrapped method of covering the trailer with a tarp

Good thing is I can lay it out perfectly flat to clean it off

4034B953-8CDE-463D-839F-B5FA8C128D88.jpeg
7779581C-8A9B-4CFB-A269-88878F96545C.jpeg
6206517C-9D5C-465F-BE51-CB973D13D0A0.jpeg
2944DF70-A5D5-4302-9F7A-117B5174409D.jpeg
F81FD95D-8CD2-467F-B6B5-7D365CC56FFC.jpeg

@JohnnyC I have been trying to imagine that exact setup in my minds eye. I'm really glad you posted those pics because I could find nothing on the google image search. I had pictured it with the folds extending towards the rear and not inward like you have it. The only real difference in the bows I will have vs yours is that mine will have a 4.5'' radius on them. Another thought I had was instead of folding over the outside, going on the inside with it so the ears are covered by the main forward and rearward canvas section. Thoughts ?

Mine actually has a 3” approx radius bows that go across the trailer now ... looks the same ... functions the same

You can go either way in or out

You just want to imagine if air can get in if it would pull away

Usually wraps are done in front and rear ... or front to back on the sides... then the back just as I have it

Mine actually has a 3” approx radius bows that go across the trailer now ... looks the same ... functions the same

You can go either way in or out

You just want to imagine if air can get in if it would pull away

Usually wraps are done in front and rear ... or front to back on the sides... then the back just as I have it

Where did you get the canvas tarp from ?

Most hardware stores will have canvas tarps. Depending on your needs of weight and size, you might want to call first but they should carry treated canvas. I just picked up a 16oz tarp the other day, they didn't have anything heavier.

Last edited:
I get my tarps from mytarp.com

Their treated od green in 12oz is very good ... it is actually an 18oz because of the treatment

Most instore places sell at the treated weight listing ... this would be an 18oz at any hardware store

The problem I had with canvas is it will rub through at the corners fairly quick when traveling at speed. Everything moves around some and it will wear through. I bought a vinyl tarp ( that truckers use) on the road because the canvas one lasted 300 miles.

IMG_3301.JPG

The problem I had with canvas is it will rub through at the corners fairly quick when traveling at speed. Everything moves around some and it will wear through. I bought a vinyl tarp ( that truckers use) on the road because the canvas one lasted 300 miles.

View attachment 1592936

I went to the mytarp sight and they recommended vinyl actually. Essentially said the same thing, that canvas wouldn't hold up in over the road trailer applications. I always assumed canvas would be better, however, the other day I blew past a tractor trailer rig and he had a big heavy duty vinyl one covering the whole trailer.

I've been running the vinyl tan and black for 5-6 years, slightly faded, but absolutely weather tight, flexible, and wears like iron. Don't remember the exact dimensions but a 4 x 6 box with EMT tubing stuck in a wood frame. Crappy pic, usually tied down better, but basically the same wrap as above @JohnnyC pics. No issues keeping it tight at all the speed the 25 can muster.
tapaupload0.jpg

I've got both canvas and vinyl. Canvas looks better, but vinyl is more durable. However, it's the corners that wear and if you can find a cardboard, foam, or other corner protector, you can usually get it to stay in place to prevent premature wear. You can also make some adjustment to whatever rib structure you use to hold up the tarp. In may case, it's probably too low to help at the corner, but raise it up about three inches and the corners would rub much less depending on how you tie down things.
JzxIXa.jpg

If you don't already have one, big bungee around the perimeter of the tarp helps keep it tied down. Lengths this size can be cut from rolls of the material available from Grainger and other supply stores. On my stiffer canvas tarp, it's even more important than with the plastic one here.

pqvLof.jpg

Yu can also see how the tarp rubs directly on the trailer corners. This is were raising the bows underneath will help to limit rub no matter what material the tarp is. I borrowed the rib design from the M101 Yahoo group.

I've got both canvas and vinyl. Canvas looks better, but vinyl is more durable. However, it's the corners that wear and if you can find a cardboard, foam, or other corner protector, you can usually get it to stay in place to prevent premature wear. You can also make some adjustment to whatever rib structure you use to hold up the tarp. In may case, it's probably too low to help at the corner, but raise it up about three inches and the corners would rub much less depending on how you tie down things.
JzxIXa.jpg

If you don't already have one, big bungee around the perimeter of the tarp helps keep it tied down. Lengths this size can be cut from rolls of the material available from Grainger and other supply stores. On my stiffer canvas tarp, it's even more important than with the plastic one here.

pqvLof.jpg

Yu can also see how the tarp rubs directly on the trailer corners. This is were raising the bows underneath will help to limit rub no matter what material the tarp is. I borrowed the rib design from the M101 Yahoo group.

What end connections are you using on your bungie ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom