Anybody have this happen??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The door "keeper" or whatever you call that piece that keeps the door from opening up too far, began to crack and finally broke off. Not sure how to fix it. Think it could be welded? Or should I be looking for a new door? Thanks

image-1378023630.jpg

image-1378023630.jpg

Some Porsche 911s have that problem, called door check strap. And yes, can be repaired by welding. I have never seen this problem on a Landcruiser though.

Some Porsche 911s have that problem, called door check strap. And yes, can be repaired by welding. I have never seen this problem on a Landcruiser though.

Thanks!

Happened on my wife's GX 470...similar vehicle. I bought it used and happened to overlook. The body-shop put a plate over the area and screwed into that. More of my "keeper" (great description) was left over, however, allowing the plate to be used.

Thanks. I will try and weld it back on. I know the piece that broke off is inside the door, I just need to retrieve it.

It happened to a member a while ago (last year?). I think he welded it or made a new latch. I can't remember who it was though. It was nasty! It has made me open my doors a lot slower!

One of my doors is cracked...just waiting for it to happen.

Can you take a picture of it? I was looking at mine after reading about another one.. The part that concerned me was the door limiter(?), that entire area flexes if I don't open the door slowly. I'm curious, maybe pull the panels off the inside and weld a reinforcement, stiffen up that area?

Wow, that sucks. Toyota should take a look at how Ford makes their over travel limiters- cops close the doors on crown vics all day long by kicking them open so they rebound closed. Never seen one fail. The trannies, on the other hand...

Or you could just always park next to a Prius and use that as a stop:)

You might want to fix it before it breaks completely like mind did. I think it will be easier.

Just happened to me, to probably my least used door - driver's side rear. I had noticed it was getting stiff - now of course I realize I should have paid more attention!

Anyone have first hand experience fixing it? It looks like there might be room to bold a plate to cover the area - but what a pain. I expect to replace the in-door mechanism
IMAG0340.jpg

I've seen it happen when wind catches doors especially. The check strap will break sometimes, sometimes it's the door. Yep, will need to be fixed with a new door or weld a piece in there.

Yeah...just happen last weekend. I just removed the whole assembly and told the kids to be aware that the door doesn't stay open on up hill like is supposed to.
Also went ahead and greased the other 3 doors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom