Anybody have the thread diameter handy for an OEM tie rod end? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have the thread diameter of an OEM tie rod end for the knuckle connection?

My 80 might have 70 series tie rod ends

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ordered the 555 Tie Rod end set from Cruiserparts for my 80.

The drag link ends on the front that connect the steering gear box to the right knuckle look exactly the same.

But the tie rod ends on the bar behind the axle have a smaller thread diameter than the ones currently on my vehicle.

To clarify, the giant threads that connect the tie rod ends to the tie rod bar are the same. But the threads that connect the tie rod end to the knuckle arm are smaller diameter.

The 555 has a thread diameter of 14mm and the old ones on my car are 17mm.

Does anyone have the thread diameter of an OEM tie rod end for the knuckle connection?

I am suspicious the PO put a 70 series knuckle arm on my FZJ80. Or Cruiserparts sent me the wrong part.

This is my first time messing with tie rods so apologies for rookie errors.

I went to the Toyota dealer in San Jose Costa Rica and checked the thread diameter for the tie rod ends.

The diameter for both the 70 series and 80 series was 14mm.

Anybody know which after market tie rod end is beefier than the OEM? Mine are 17mm.

I dug around online but have yet to find anything

(as an FYI, the dealer price on the 80 series OEM tie rod ends was US$111 for the pair. Part numbers 45047-69085 / 45046-69135)

I went to the Toyota dealer in San Jose Costa Rica and checked the thread diameter for the tie rod ends.

The diameter for both the 70 series and 80 series was 14mm.

Anybody know which after market tie rod end is beefier than the OEM? Mine are 17mm.

I dug around online but have yet to find anything

(as an FYI, the dealer price on the 80 series OEM tie rod ends was US$111 for the pair. Part numbers 45047-69085 / 45046-69135)
I think the general answer would be that OEM is the best...but if I was to order some I would order them Marlin Off-road.

You can also go on rockauto and select which ones you like.

I would happily slap OEM on, but the PO installed after market tie rod ends that have a larger thread size than the OEM.

The PO put on a six inch lift and 37 inch tires so I assume he upgraded / modified the knuckle control arm and tie rod ends for added security.

I have not dissembled the old tie rod ends, but the stock tie rod ends (with a smaller diameter) will rattle around inside the control arm due to the difference in diameter. Would rather not put in a bung.

Was hoping someone on Mud had done the same modification. Searches on Mud have not turned up anything.

Post some photos of what you have.

Note grease inlet

IMG_5968.jpg

That's a big nut

IMG_5967.jpg

if I grab the tie rod to the right of the lock nut, I can rotate the tie rod fore and aft about 20 degrees. Maybe I just need to grease it up.

I have steering sloppiness at highway speeds that I attributed to this tie rod. Now I am thinking I just need a new dampener.

An Old Man Emu dampener is on the way

@notathomie did the steering dampener resolve your issue?
Any idea if all 80 series have the grease zerk? I have a 95 and I don’t seem to have a grease zerk on tie rod.
OEM ends do not have grease fittings.

If a TRE has play it’s toast and needs replaced.
Figured that would be the case. Curious though, do you or does it make a difference if you replace both tie rod ends or just the one that has play? What about the need to replace the front and rear TREs (orientation to front axle) at the same time? Does it make a difference or necessary? TIA!

It’s pretty cheap to do all four, and really not much more to replace the drag link and tie rod at the same time (not necessary unless bent badly).
My truck needed all four, and a set of OEM 555 ends was not much cheaper than the full upgrade kit from marlin crawler that includes a set of 555 TREs and new heavy duty tie rod and drag link.
However you could replace one at a time as needed if you wanted too.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom