anybody have AA twin stick t/case shifter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
just wondering how well you like this shifter. and not to sound dumb, but what is the second stick for?

for what t-case?

usually, one stick controls the 2wd/4wd and the other controls hi/low.

With a FJ40/55 (before split case) you can simply notch the shift gate, turning the L-shaped opening into a square, or remove the gate entirely, and get all the same benefits. Not sure on the split cases tho....

IMO, great for the bling factor, not much use otherwise (unless you are running a D300 or Atlas t-case!)

I installed a twin stick shifter this past summer in my '76 FJ40 and I really like it. Its a whole lot more positive shifting than the oem shifter. A big plus is the fact that the shift levers don't poke the passsenger in the calf like the old one when I'm in 4-low. I've included a photo of mine.
I do use just the low range shifter by itself. It makes it a whole lot easier loading the cruiser onto the trailer. Just pull the lever into low range, idle up the ramps and then move it back into hi range.

MarkH

Does anyone have twin stick tc shifter and a ranger torque splitter? I am about to put in the ranger and wanted to see how it looks. I don't want my tranny hump to look like a forest, but like the idea of 2 low. Any pics?

I installed one when I put in a rock box with my 4 speed and 3-speed xfer. It was an easy install, it works great and looks cool to have 4 shifters on the tunnel. Really won't do anything a stock shifter with the gates removed won't do, but it kept me from having to modify the stock rig due to the rock box's extra 5 inches.

i believe i have the stock tcase for my 71 fj40. i had the shifter under the dash. woody, i don't know what you mean about the gate?

You can grind out the shift gate, and gain 2lo without buying the $200 twin stick. When you grind out this gate, you just move the oem shifter straight to the right from 2hi to get 2lo.

not to sound dumb, but i am. i have no idea what a gate is. can someone explain or tell me what it looks like? i'm a rookie.

A shifter gate is what controls how you move the shifter, ie the shift pattern (A L for stock cruiser t-cases) I don't really know much more than that, I think someone posted a pic awhile ago of what you are supposed to grind. When I install my SM420, I was planning on just looking at the linkage, see what stopped the shifter from moving straight over to the right, and grind that off.

does the twin stick work on split case's like in the fj60? or is it just avaible for the 40's?

remove the 3/4 screws that hold the t-case shifter boot in place, and remove the t-case shift knob. With this out of the way, you can see down the shiftlever to a L-shaped slot in a piece of formed 3/16" steel. This is held on with two bolts to the top of the shift-tower and one side nut that also holds the shift lever. You can A> remove the plate entirely or B> use a torch/grinder/saw/file/whatever to turn that L into a square.

Viola...30 minutes time and you now have 2wd low.

And before anyone asks, the Cruiser t-case design makes front wheel drive only impossible. Atlas, NP205, or D300 are your choices to get that, which also necessitates WAY more driveline changes. (FWD only is great when combined either with rear line-lock brakes or with rear cutting brakes - tractor-style spin/turning.)

[quote author=milesstarkey link=board=1;threadid=6246;start=msg50480#msg50480 date=1066094659]
not to sound dumb, but i am. i have no idea what a gate is. can someone explain or tell me what it looks like? i'm a rookie.
[/quote]

HEY ALL YOU NUMBNUTS!!! (miles I am talkin' to the Xspurts that have been answering ya)
He has the vacuum controlled shifter...
You have no "gate" to modify.
I am not really up on this system but I think it can be made to work in 2 low like the ones these guys are talking about.
Butch

actually, I thot 71 was post-vac-shift...or was my 72 the first year of non-vac?

i''m not famliar with the vac shift, but IIRC, there is a lever for hi/low and a vac knob for 2/4. Simply pulling the lever and NOT using the knob gives you 2wd low...

<---nuts no longer numb....hehehe

My 65 FJ45 has a pin on the knob that pulls the 4x lever, but I don't know if his 71 is like this, yo ucould bend the pin or remove it.
Butch

I am using it in my 40. I am running a 420 with the .750" thick adapter and a three speed case.

A friend and I spent some time re-engineering the "kit" to make it work for our trucks, as they were not a strait forward install, due to the adapter that we are using. At least that is what I was told by AA, when I called them.

I too like the fact that the passengers leg is no longer going to bump the t-case out of gear, as this has happened before, and like the two-low option, for some things that I do.

I have one more to install in a 40 with a 465. I am pretty sure that the same changes will need to be done to this one too, as this truck is also using the .750" thick adapter, from Classic Cruisers. Hey Merle, thanks!!

[quote author=Texican link=board=1;threadid=6246;start=msg50513#msg50513 date=1066099181]
HEY ALL YOU NUMBNUTS!!! (miles I am talkin' to the Xspurts that have been answering ya)
He has the vacuum controlled shifter...
You have no "gate" to modify.
I am not really up on this system but I think it can be made to work in 2 low like the ones these guys are talking about.
Butch
[/quote]

THANKS BUTCH!!!

I am glad that someone was paying attention to that!!

experts...whatever... ::) ::) ::)

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=6246;start=msg50501#msg50501 date=1066097936]
You can A> remove the plate entirely or B> use a torch/grinder/saw/file/whatever to turn that L into a square.

Viola...30 minutes time and you now have 2wd low.

[/quote]

not to sound stupid but what would be the shift pattern for 2wd i.e. how would you shift it into 2wd (L and up?? straight over to the right from 2 high??)

after 15 postings i still don't know what i am supposed to do. i really appreciate all the help, but should i get the linkage from a non-vac 4 spd and grind the gate or something? remember i'm putting in an auto with AA's kit. i'll have the bracket that mounts on the tranny for mounting the t-case shifting linkage from AA. still, what to do?

[quote author=milesstarkey link=board=1;threadid=6246;start=msg50942#msg50942 date=1066179777]
after 15 postings i still don't know what i am supposed to do. i really appreciate all the help, but should i get the linkage from a non-vac 4 spd and grind the gate or something? remember i'm putting in an auto with AA's kit. i'll have the bracket that mounts on the tranny for mounting the t-case shifting linkage from AA. still, what to do?
[/quote]

1. If you got the cash, spend it!!!

2. If you do not, ask around, someone has to have a shifter linkage sitting around that you could use.

3. Fabricate/make your own control.

-HIJACK-

What are you going to use for a trans shifter?

b&m i guess. what all do i need for the t/case to make it work? i'm told the 4 spd fork? the aa bracket, what else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom