Anybody familiar with the Truckee / Tahoe area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
decided on the spur of the moment to head out for a few days to Northstar at Tahoe, bit of skiing for the family and hopefully a bit of (light -we're taking the 100-) exploring for me. Anybody out there familiar with the area that would be kind enough to tell me a bit about the Truckee / Tahoe area if I can swing a few trails? Don't know if I can access Internet from Northstar but will try to check for any possible replies.
many TIA

You could easily take an afternoon run down to the Homewood entrance of the Rubicon trail. It is a moderately easy run up to Miller lake from the begining of the trailhead. It is mostly mud, snow drifts and a few creek crossings right now. I did this with my son during a ski trip a few weeks ago.

Another option might be to head down I80 to the entrance of the Fordyce trail, or to the exit up at Summit lake. If you are travelling solo I wouldn't venture too far on Fordyce as you could get into trouble fairly easily at this time of year and it doesn't get as much traffic (help) as does the Rubicon.

probably too much snow on most trails right about now.

we have a few tahoe/truckee locals on the forum...hopefully they'll comment...

Just got a foot of snow at my house (6500') at S. lake tahoe. I wouldn't try the the Rubicon eastern entrance. But you will have good skiing!

wow, it's beautiful, sunny, warm, some fresh snow.
Calif at it's best.
yup, trails look a bit snowed up right now.
May go have a look at a couple but alone I'm not going too far in for sure...
in Northstar right now
anybody local wants to go for a snow run?

yea!

You could try the Eagle Lakes trail. It's a bit lower, some snow but not too bad, and is basically easy if you take the bypass around "driveshaft" hill. We've done it in bigger snow years in Feb, so it should be OK right now. For snow, really air down and let someone know to call the calvery if you don't return on time.

Just me personally, but I think snow wheeling, alone, of any sort is stupid, especailly without a winch. It is super easy to get stuck.

thanks for the suggestion Andy, didn't see it in time, unfortunately.
I went around and looked at a couple of trails around Tahoe, but they were all closed by gates for the season still.
And yes, I agree, better not to go by oneself in the snow, even if it were possible. I have zero experience in snow, so I went and played a bit on a slope, and with the snow on top of mud I didn't exactly go very far anyway...

I'm here, the 60 is ready to roll any weekend, mud, snow, rock, it doesn't matter. Locked gates, well this area seems to be the center of the universe for locked gates.
Bob

I'm here, the 60 is ready to roll any weekend, mud, snow, rock, it doesn't matter. Locked gates, well this area seems to be the center of the universe for locked gates.
Bob

back already, too bad, but would have liked to go out and for you to show me how one really handles snow... :) thanks

Wish I would've seen this thread earlier. Sorry I could have suggested some things. Most of our snow has melted due to the 60+ temps during the day. PM me if you are ever in the area again and want to know some locals secrets.

Wish I would've seen this thread earlier. Sorry I could have suggested some things. Most of our snow has melted due to the 60+ temps during the day. PM me if you are ever in the area again and want to know some locals secrets.

thanks, I did see a few LCs while out there. Even a 45 parked someplace near Alpine IIRC...

well shoot,
I wish I would have seen this earlier also. i've been visiting my sister in Incline for the last week. I would have loved to have met you and the family. oh well, next time i guess.

my mistake, we decided to go on the spur of the moment. Next time I'll try and post something up well in advance (if I know)...

Yeah there is a guy who lives on Alpine Meadows road with a red 45, its constantly in the Alpine parking lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom