Anybody build 100 series front bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

looking good Virgil.

looking good Virgil.

Thanks. I really hope you will tell me if it is ugly. You guys are the only help I have except the few pictures I find on the internet. Here is what I've got done so far.

One from the front.

Me likey!!!! One suggestion I have is to have some more cushion on the side for the next time you decide to kiss a tree in icy condition.

I’d typically make the corners less round and more like a bull bar but that might actually complement the vehicle much better!

Here’s the one Justin helped with 15+ years ago...after a traffic accident it’s now destined to become a garage shelf.

It's ugly.:p
Pshaw....
I am with Steve though, if you can I would push the deck out for more tree-kissing ability. Were it my bumper I might also add some real thick don't-ef-w-me-tree vertical plate a-la the expedition portal link for towing etc. It looks to follow the lines and curves pretty nicely. You also are making quick progress, impressive.

FYI..I got a ton of ramdom goodies. Thick square tube (like 1/4" 2x2), I think a little 1/8th plate, some 3/8th x 5" strap, some gnarly channel (mby 1x3"), variety grab bag of materials so if you hit an ah-need-ah-wall lemme know. Willing to trade for top shelf HighDesertCrusier trail Karma, beer, coffee and or giggles.

Weld-on
J

Here’s the one Justin helped with 15+ years ago...after a traffic accident it’s now destined to become a garage shelf.
View attachment 1915772
Maw.... Meeehhhhmerhieeeeezz.....
Steve- "Think you can you stick weld 3/8" to 16ga?" ( or was it 1/8th?)
J- "I think... I can try, probably...."
"Where did this guy come from?"
-Steve Barry
Prof. Emeritus UNM Art & Art History-Sculpture

It's ugly.:p
Pshaw....
I am with Steve though, if you can I would push the deck out for more tree-kissing ability. Were it my bumper I might also add some real thick don't-ef-w-me-tree vertical plate a-la the expedition portal link for towing etc. It looks to follow the lines and curves pretty nicely. You also are making quick progress, impressive.

FYI..I got a ton of ramdom goodies. Thick square tube (like 1/4" 2x2), I think a little 1/8th plate, some 3/8th x 5" strap, some gnarly channel (mby 1x3"), variety grab bag of materials so if you hit an ah-need-ah-wall lemme know. Willing to trade for top shelf HighDesertCrusier trail Karma, beer, coffee and or giggles.

Weld-on
J

In the pictures it is sitting about a half inch higher than it will when it is done. The part you see is really more of a bumper cover, I am building the frame that will be behind and what it will mount to this morning. I have a pretty decent pile of steel and can always borrow out of the drop pile the guy that I weld for has. But thanks for the offer. Hoping to get it done enough today that I can drive it again. I hate driving the Pathfinder.

I like it Virgil. How about a picture from the side? It looks like it doesn't stick out a bunch, which is great.

Thank you. I didnt want it to stick out too far. Hate banging my knees on the bumper when I'm under the hood.

I finally got it mounted and I can drive it again.

Looking good, I'm digging the shape that complements the vehicle lines!

Me like, nice execution.

Now I need to figure out what lights to use and where to put them.

Thanks to Ali I have added to my regular craigslist searches. Now I have added "winch" and "wench". I will eventually find a smoking deal on one.

Got the top on today and got the whole thing welded and ground ao I went ahead and primered the bumper. Still not sure if I like it or not, but I'm not doing it again.

Here is what it mounts to. I have to add just a few more pieces to it tomorrow then I'll be done with all the fab work for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom