Anybody build 100 series front bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mauser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I was playing on my road yesterday in the snow and ended up head on into a juniper tree. Now I need to build a bumper.

I have steel, welders, torches, and access to a plasma cutter. What I dont have is enough creativity to design things. I am looking for pictures of a home built front bumper for my LX470 that I can borrow some ideas from. I don't have one yet, but would also like to be able to mount a winch to it later.

Anybody built a a front bumper for a 100 series?

I would start with you ideal winch and its dimensions, then see how commercial bumpers manage mounting/deploying it so it's already baked in to your design. Then you have some infrastructure to work off of. I helped Lurch build a rear bumper a million years ago but don't know of any pics he might have.
Check this out- Grumper Bumper!

Thats quite a bumper, a little too much for me. I've pretty much decided that I am going to build it and not worry about a winch for now. I've got a torch and a welder and can change it if I ever get one.

I am going to clean off my welding table, drag some steel out and see what I can screw up this evenimg. I'm going to use plate since I have plenty. Now I am just trying to figure out how far I want it to stick out, and how I am going to do the lights and turn signals. Guess I just need to take the old bumper off and go from there.

Cool, fun project...

I would start with a good old fashioned internet image search for all 100 series bumper pics.
You’ll notice trends and differences.
It might get your creative juices flowing. Simple design is good!
Look for how they mount too!
Keep us posted!

Last edited:

Yeah, I've searched and looked at pictures. Thats what I'm going to be working off of. Just wanted to get some measurements more than anything. I'll even post pictures if mine looks terrible.

I searched the 100s section and didn't see that one @89BIGBLUE. Thanks.

Virgil,

I'll be building bumpers for the 4runner this spring most likely so use me as a resource. I'd HIGHLY encourage you to incorporate a winch mounting solution into your bumper. Even if you don't get a winch, i think you should design the bumper with that in mind. Why? Because nobody ever tells themselves "self, I sure wish I didn't have that winch hole in that bumper. Now, I GOTS to buy this winch on CL for $200 and stick it inside" 🤣

I built the rear bumper on the 80 by incorporating some designs from the various bumpers that are already out there. Due to my OCD, I think mine took a little over 60 man hours to complete. Hey, the chicago winters are cold and long, doncha know! I had NOTHING better to do apparently.

let me know how I can confuse you further 🤣

Virgil,

I'll be building a bumper for the 4runner this spring most likely. I'd HIGHLY encourage you to incorporate a winch mounting solution into your bumper. Even if you don't get a winch, i think you should design the bumper with that in mind. I built the rear bumper on the 80 by incorporating some designs from the various bumpers that are already out there.

let me know how I can confuse you further 🤣

I really want to add a winch mount, but I don't have a winch or anything to look at to know how to mount it. I figured out how I am going to mount the bumper to the frame and will be able to pull the bumper pretty easily to add a winch later.

Wish I would have stayed home yesterday afternoon and had you guys come by. I've pretty much got it designed in my head, but I really dont know what I'm doing. Starting on the mounting now. Gotta dig more steel out of the snow.

I would like opinions. I have plenty of 3/16 plate to do both front and back bumpers and also enough 3/16 diamond plate to do both. Would diamond plate look good? Or would regular plate look better? Or both?

I would like opinions. I have plenty of 3/16 plate to do both front and back bumpers and also enough 3/16 diamond plate to do both. Would diamond plate look good? Or would regular plate look better? Or both?

I wouldn't use 3/16" plate for the entire bumper, maybe just the winch mounting portion. 1/8" is what I used and STILL is stupid heavy after all said and done. Personally, i'm not a big fan of diamond plating unless this is a big domestic truck for the oil fields and you wear a cowboy hat ;)

Most winches have a standard 5" x 10" bolt pattern or some such thing. I think most, if not all, 8,000 - 12,000 # winches have the same bolt pattern. I have access to a 8k winch if you need it for mockup.

I wouldn't use 3/16" plate for the entire bumper, maybe just the winch mounting portion. 1/8" is what I used and STILL is stupid heavy after all said and done. Personally, i'm not a big fan of diamond plating unless this is a big domestic truck for the oil fields and you wear a cowboy hat ;)

Most winches have a standard 5" x 10" bolt pattern or some such thing. I think most, if not all, 8,000 - 12,000 # winches have the same bolt pattern. I have access to a 8k winch if you need it for mockup.

Dammit. You think 3/16 is too heavy? I have a lot of 3/16 already. Was hoping not to have to buy anything. Wanted to at least get something built today so I can drive the thing and not look more hillbilly than I already do.

I agree on the diamond plate. Its a pain to match the pattern anyway.

Looks like I got more thinking to do.

Might just scrap the whole bumper building idea. I could just sell a rifle and buy a bumper.

What is an ideal weight for a front bumper?

Dont want to give up quite yet. Anybody want to trade some 1/8" steel plate for a 4' x4' piece of 3/16" diamond plate?

Last edited:
Most winch “plates” are made from 1/4” material, or the metric equivalent.
I used 3/16” for the bumpers I made for my 62. Use what you got!
I did make a separate winch plate that bolts on inside the bumper...

F6E6153B-8D36-4555-9C86-F2815A32D4B6.jpeg

2A17313B-7451-472C-8477-596ACE01824C.jpeg

Most winch “plates” are made from 1/4” material, or the metric equivalent.
I used 3/16” for the bumpers I made for my 62. Use what you got!
I did make a separate winch plate that bolts on inside the bumper...

View attachment 1912593

View attachment 1912594

Ali got me thinking more and more about the weight. I still have the AHC system on my lx so weight is something I need to consider more. Thanks Ali!

Gotcha!
I bought the steel as strap as opposed to a sheet...to help cut down on cutting and make pieces easier to move!
I had fun making them, I hope you do too!

What is an ideal weight for a front bumper?

Dont want to give up quite yet. Anybody want to trade some 1/8" steel plate for a 4' x4' piece of 3/16" diamond plate?

I just bought one for the 200, it weighs 132lbs including the winch cradle. It's not installed yet. It's a 2 piece system like the ARB.

Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom