Any Reason To Worry? Some Small Discharge From Coolant Overflow Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, well the title sorta says it, I just noticed a new super small streak of dried red chalky coolant coming out of the little 90 degree hose of the coolant overflow cap today. My coolant which was always right at the full mark on the tank was running a little low like 1/2 inch after my last wild wheeling adventure (ya know for someone who loves speed, .5 mph can be extremely exhilarating!) but I basically chalked it up (no pun intended) to the extreme tilt the vehicle was on over obstacles. I'm just wondering whether its worth worry if there is some slight streak of coolant? Other than this observation no other noticeable difference in any area at all; all temps are totally within normal working range as evidenced by my accurate aftermarket temp gauge, no codes, no lights, nothing other than totally typical operation. Thanks as always. :cheers:

Naaaaa..

Nothing to worry about - sounds like normal dried residue that hangs on the edge or end ...ya gotta shake the thing a few times to get every last drop off - anymore than that and you're playin with it :grinpimp:

BOUNDER said:
Nothing to worry about - sounds like normal dried residue that hangs on the edge or end ...ya gotta shake the thing a few times to get every last drop off - anymore than that and you're playin with it :grinpimp:

Me, I'm always playin around; anything to avoid the wetspot and have some happy with hygiene! :D Just to clarify this thing though, I'm not talking about any residue around the cap but residue basically dripping out of the tube, is that what you were answering? Thanks. :cheers:

Sounds fine, but worth keeping an eye on. The hoses and the cap gasket age and don't seal as well. I put a new hose/cap on mine from Cdan - something like $15.

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Sounds fine, but worth keeping an eye on. The hoses and the cap gasket age and don't seal as well. I put a new hose/cap on mine from Cdan - something like $15.

DougM

Yes, I did the same thing which is why no residue around cap and why some worry when I saw the slight leakage from the hose. I'm hearing that this is nothing to worry with though so that is the thing that I was hoping. Thanks fellas. :cheers:

I suspect it was the angles you were on, or the bouncing around. You need a baffle in the overflow tank to prevent high speed turbulence.....!

DougM

IdahoDoug
IH8MUD Lifer

#4 Sounds fine, but worth keeping an eye on. The hoses and the cap gasket age and don't seal as well. I put a new hose/cap on mine from Cdan - something like $15.

DougM

10-01-05, 11:28 PM

HEY WAIT EVERYONE!!!!

(Minor thread hijack!)

Doug just posted his 3100th post, in just over two years!!

He DA MAN!!!! :grinpimp:

(As a noob here, IdahoDoug is all OVER this place...a frickin' encyclopedia of FJ80 knowledge.)

All hail DOUG!!! :cheers:

Can't believe you noted my post count. I'm touched (sniff, sniff). I had not realized it was getting up there. Would be interesting to see the post distribution by my local weather. i.e. bet it's higher when it is raining (like now) or winter, and lower in summer and nice weather. Heh, bet Woody's got all that stuff.

Later,

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom