Any montero's out there (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had an '89 V6 (4dr) with a big-ass sunroof.

It was fine around town, but had too much play in the steering for my liking, made me nervous in mid to high speed bends.

Went mild wheeling in it once and got it almost stuck with one wheel spinning in the air. I knew NOTHING about locking differentials, or lack of it then.

Sold it and got an RX-7 after that.:D

I had one of those :) I love the big-as sun roof it did pretty good offroad it had 285,000 when I sold it. me and that truck had a lot of fun. it is what got me started in my 4x4 life.

:) hello from pajero team malaysia: projek blackwind

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg
IMG_0375.jpg

Gonna rebuild the engine on this one this next winter. Burns oil and blow by. Still has plenty of power and runs smooth. 2.6 4cyl

Last edited:

Gonna rebuild the engine on this one this next winter. Burns oil and blow by. Still has plenty of power and runs smooth. 2.6 4cyl

My V6 is doing the same thing. I found a place that sells those 50,000 Japanese ENGs for 900 and a shop to install it for 595.

I don't have a place to work on it so I think it is a good deal :cool:

The thing runs great just a bit of smoke :frown:

http://www.soshinusa.com/ these guys have some good deals

Last edited:
This is my second Motero Love em. the one i have now is an 87 5spd 4cyl. my first was a 89 5spd 4 door. like that one a lot too. i'll be doing work to my 87 gonna get some 31" retreads then a rack and then possibly a 3" lift in the next month hopefully :) does anyone have or altiernatives for a lift? any suggestions or links for lift kits, Roof racks and Light system if so please let me Know!! And also how do i add a picture of my MONTY!!?? :)

Thanks Garrebear

my 89 4dr v6 5spd had no sunroof but was my first car and and 4x4 vehicle and i love these beasts alot!!

I hoooked my little sister up with a 97 Montero, and i love it. I couldnt believe it but it has the selectable center diff lock as well as a selectable rear locker.
Cant wait to get her out on the trail.

I hoooked my little sister up with a 97 Montero, and i love it. I couldnt believe it but it has the selectable center diff lock as well as a selectable rear locker.
Cant wait to get her out on the trail.

Yep an E-locker in a monty :cool: I would like to do that some day. At the moment I have an LSD locker and it dose a good job.

Well I had the ENG swapped and it seems to be doing the same thing :crybaby:

the problem with the old ENG was the valve guide seels. The ENG they installed had the same problem. They are going to fix it. It is at SKN the folks I got the ENG from. we shall see.

I just got one in September. 89 four door with the v6 5speed. Fairly strait. Working through the po's "custom wiring" cleaning up a bit. So far I'm impressed, seems to go anywhere I point it.

I just sold my Gen3 Montero Limited that was lifted with Ironman stuff and on 265/75's. It certainly had some good attributes that I will miss, but at the same it was no Land Cruiser. Some things I loved were the massive rear storage bin under the rear deck where the 3rd row seat would normally go, the spare is mounted in the proper location from the get go, the seats go back far enough for comfort, and it had a cool blinky light thingy showing which tires were spinning.