Any montero's out there (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 89 montero v6 swb 4", 5 speed, body lift 33"tires r LSD, anybody else got a monty.

not anymore

Had one and sold it, descent rig light and nimble compared to a cruiser, but pretty good for a budget 4X

Ya, I like these, this is my second one the fist was a lwb. souled it to bye a jeep the old montero was better. this is now my back up rig till the 55 gets going. it's my Little expedition truck it just goes and goes. just put in the lsd it really helps alot. it seems the montero got a few of us in to weeling.

My wife has an 88 Raider. A shorty with one of those bouncy truck diver seats. She loves the car. It's starting to get a bit rough around the edges. The interior has taken a beating for the last 10 years hauling kids around.

I put 31 inch tires on it and the power really suffers. It needs a re-gear.

I had a 90 4 dr V6 auto LS model, loved it, but had a electrical problem tht would cause it to stall every other time I drove it. I would be stranded for 15 -30 min every time, after doing everything I could to diagnose and repair, I finally traded it in. Other than that, I may have still been driving it today, instead of myLX450...

C,dan, that 88 may have an LSD locker :D fun little truck.

firetruck41, my 4door had a kill switch chip thing on the stirring column that when the truck got wormed up it would take 10 to 15 min to restart. the circuit board in the center console was fryd. I bypassed it and and all was well.:cheers:

2003 Montero here, plenty of space for the familly. 4 independant wheel suspension tho. I haven't seen any decent lift for it. I'll keep my bj for wheeling. Always wondered if it is open diff or limited, it sure is hard to steer when i'm in 4 llc or something.

2003 Montero here, plenty of space for the familly. 4 independant wheel suspension tho. I haven't seen any decent lift for it. I'll keep my bj for wheeling. Always wondered if it is open diff or limited, it sure is hard to steer when i'm in 4 llc or something.

look and see if it has an orange stick in the drivers side door.

Last edited:
There's a 91 for sale in my town. 4 door, 5 speed. Been there a long time. I keep thinking about it, but then remember the 60 in the yard that needs $$$.

Ive got one of them JDM LWD Pajeros (Monty ahah) with the 2.5L turbo diesel. Its a little slow, but apart from that its pretty good. I use it as a daily driver, my 100 sucks a little more fuel than I had hoped... Getting parts for it is a bit of a pain, though Ford had a Ranger pickup with the 2.3L mitsubishi diesel. Lots of interchangeable parts ^^

I had an '89 V6 (4dr) with a big-ass sunroof.

It was fine around town, but had too much play in the steering for my liking, made me nervous in mid to high speed bends.

Went mild wheeling in it once and got it almost stuck with one wheel spinning in the air. I knew NOTHING about locking differentials, or lack of it then.

Sold it and got an RX-7 after that.:D

Where is the tech here?

Where is the tech here?

It's about Montero locking, dying, gearing, steering, and dieseling. You blind or sumptin' :)

where are the pics for those of us who cant read?

Never owned one, but drove plenty of them. We had a fleet of Pajeros overseas in the military back in the mid 90's. We'd always fight over who got the luxury ones that were diesel and had all the creature comforts. The others were mega spartan; rubber floors, 5-speed, anemic 4cyl gas, no radio, etc... What I remember the most about them is that they would never die. We would beat the piss out of them and they just kept running. Not so for the Heep XJ's, they were disposable.

Last edited:
got one

it's my wife's. i installed a reman engine not too long ago haven't had a chance to use the lockers yet.i would still prefer a cruiser of the same year IMO.a bit narrow for my taste but comfortable on long trips.it just got back from a 1500 mile trip last year after that the short runner intake butterfly fell into the valves and wreck havoc aarrrrgghh. :bang::bang:

john

Sold my 2006 100 series a few months ago (still in mourning), but had to eliminate a car payment, and personal property tax in VA is a killer. I found this 2001 Montero for $9,500 with 57K miles, one owner, very clean, well maintained. I would have preferred another LC, but couldn't find one this clean and this cheap. So we are now a 2 Toyota and 1 Mitsu family.

I do like the Montero, the driving position is very similar to the 100 series. The quality of the interior is not a Toyota. But I have always liked the exterior of the monteros.
8b8297c27f0000010029a046cd0f3ea0[1].jpg
8b82984f7f0000010029a0463c828b95[1].jpg
8b8299327f0000010029a046b190d357[1].jpg