Any montero's out there (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Longtime mitsu owner, first time poster...

I started off with Montero's 25 years ago. In that time I've had 9, representing the first three generations. I've had pretty much every engine, including the diesels. 5 of my 9 were JDM imports.

I currently have three in my garage. My wife and I each have third gen diesels as DD's, and I also have a Pajero Evolution, number 581 of 2500… its a homologation truck, and is about the most fun you can have on a fire road!

We are considering selling my wife's daily to get a 100 series for pulling a slightly larger trailer than our current pop-up A-frame. Which of course is how I found myself here.

IMG_20190218_002534_864.jpg
phils-pajevo.jpg

I just picked up a 99 2nd gen montero cheap. I have been trying to find some resources for it, since the full size montero 2nd gen is pretty rare in the USA.

I previously had a 94 SR with the DOHC 3.5 V6 and loved it.

In terms of searchable online, 4x4wire still has lots of archival data available. If you're on Facebook (groan) I'm helping admin a large group for Montero owners called "Mitsubishi monteros usa". Here's a link.
(Send me a pm if you want me to fast track your membership approval - if you're on Facebook. I kind of wish I wasn't... but... It's where the action is.)

Longtime mitsu owner, first time poster...

I started off with Montero's 25 years ago. In that time I've had 9, representing the first three generations. I've had pretty much every engine, including the diesels. 5 of my 9 were JDM imports.

I currently have three in my garage. My wife and I each have third gen diesels as DD's, and I also have a Pajero Evolution, number 581 of 2500… its a homologation truck, and is about the most fun you can have on a fire road!

We are considering selling my wife's daily to get a 100 series for pulling a slightly larger trailer than our current pop-up A-frame. Which of course is how I found myself here.

View attachment 2066119View attachment 2066120

Nice Evo!

I'm starting to look around again for another rig and I just moved to the Seattle area where I'm finding a ton of JDM vehicles around the place. I haven't narrowed it down yet but Montero/Pajero are on the short list. Did you have any issues with insuring the JDM vehicles? I've read conflicting reports that it's not an issue and that ist's a PITA. By the way, already on your FB page, good work!

Will

Nice Evo!

I'm starting to look around again for another rig and I just moved to the Seattle area where I'm finding a ton of JDM vehicles around the place. I haven't narrowed it down yet but Montero/Pajero are on the short list. Did you have any issues with insuring the JDM vehicles? I've read conflicting reports that it's not an issue and that ist's a PITA. By the way, already on your FB page, good work!

Will

Thanks Will,
I'm in Canada so my experience with insurance may not be transferable. Up here in Alberta I can get basic coverage pretty easily, but beyond that it's difficult to get full coverage. Apparently there is one company who will cover JDM's but I haven't tried them yet. I have some friends in the US that have successfully gotten insired but it varies from state to state I'm sure.

I can check with some WA friends and see whom they've gone with if that's any help?

Cheers
Phil

Thanks Will,
I'm in Canada so my experience with insurance may not be transferable. Up here in Alberta I can get basic coverage pretty easily, but beyond that it's difficult to get full coverage. Apparently there is one company who will cover JDM's but I haven't tried them yet. I have some friends in the US that have successfully gotten insired but it varies from state to state I'm sure.

I can check with some WA friends and see whom they've gone with if that's any help?

Cheers
Phil

That would be great, thank you!

Will

So Will, I heard back from some friends in WA. State farm will cover it no issues. If you call ask for Jake Squires. He has a Delica himself so knows the ropes.

Also heard that Hagerty will also cover you...

Hope this helps.
Phil

Just a follow up to my first post... We did sell my wife's gen3 diesel Pajero and got a JDM uzj100 with all the bells and whistles incl ride height adjust. 4.7 v8 is way thirstier than the 4m41 diesel but pulls the new trailer like its not there. In the rocky mountains, that's a good thing.
IMG_20191013_134838.jpg

Affternoon friends 🙋‍♂️,
Noob on this Forum.
Always looking for advice and guidance with anything 4x and Overlanding.
I've owned many different rigs over the decades,,
some great,, others not so much.
This is the current project ,
02 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS AWD w/ 3.5L v6 : A/T:
4.9 ratio open differentials.
Definitely nothing fancy sadly. I do wish it had a LSD or a factory locker.
But No,, of course🤦‍♂️. It's a work in progress and should have new Skins installed very soon. They're in transit at the moment.
Going with Mastercraft Courser MXT's in
LT245/75R-16. The suspension is original/stock other than new Tokico Trekmaster shocks.
Anyone have any ideas regarding a simple ratcheting style locker for these vehicles?? I'll be posting here and other forums as the project advances.
Thanks for having me over.
Stay safe everyone,,
PaydayGabe in beautiful Boulder City Nv. USA
20200428_211408.jpg

Just a follow up to my first post... We did sell my wife's gen3 diesel Pajero and got a JDM uzj100 with all the bells and whistles incl ride height adjust. 4.7 v8 is way thirstier than the 4m41 diesel but pulls the new trailer like its not there. In the rocky mountains, that's a good thing. View attachment 2111099
Old post but did you make a thread in the 100 series forum?

Old post but did you make a thread in the 100 series forum?

I didn't. But I also got a kzj90 for myself. Still have the Pajero Evo of course, but the Prado is for DD duties.

Small build thread for it here:

Meanwhile the 100 has been very good for almost a year now. Did some maintenance and had to replace a couple of coil packs, but other than it's penchant for fuel, its a great daily for my wife, and tow rig for the trailer.

Hello, I just joined the forum yesterday. I have a 96 Montero SR. I'm looking for internal body clips and grommets. Parts such as MB0088341 ; MR250761 ; MU470013. I have checked with several local dealers and all told me the parts had been discontinued. What can I use as replacements? These parts snaps into the metal cavity of the car body. Then plastic panels sit on top and screws fasten into them. What would auto body shop use as equivalent replacements? Thanks!

Hello, I just joined the forum yesterday. I have a 96 Montero SR. I'm looking for internal body clips and grommets. Parts such as MB0088341 ; MR250761 ; MU470013. I have checked with several local dealers and all told me the parts had been discontinued. What can I use as replacements? These parts snaps into the metal cavity of the car body. Then plastic panels sit on top and screws fasten into them. What would auto body shop use as equivalent replacements? Thanks!
Welcome! Have you tried partsouq? The warehouses in Dubai have some of the best selection in the world for Japanese vehicles.

How many are you looking for?

JDM Journeys,
I'm 100% I have called 3 - 4 dealers on the east coast to inquire about the parts.....then two more local dealers to make sure.... All told me some of the parts are no longer available.

Last week, I went to another local dealer for service and asked about the same parts.....somehow they ARE available??! I ordered the parts and will know for sure as it takes couple of days to arrive. I'll believe it when I see it. I need 2-3 clips, but just in case I ordered 10.

partsouq - looks very interesting.... Looks like their parts diagrams are the same exact ones used by dealer to look up parts. Have you ordered from them before? How's the experience? I searched for the body clip MR250761, and they are not available. Dealer told me to bring one in and they can match whatever they have, to see which looks closest to it. We'll see when I go there next week.

JDM Journeys,
I'm 100% I have called 3 - 4 dealers on the east coast to inquire about the parts.....then two more local dealers to make sure.... All told me some of the parts are no longer available.

Last week, I went to another local dealer for service and asked about the same parts.....somehow they ARE available??! I ordered the parts and will know for sure as it takes couple of days to arrive. I'll believe it when I see it. I need 2-3 clips, but just in case I ordered 10.

partsouq - looks very interesting.... Looks like their parts diagrams are the same exact ones used by dealer to look up parts. Have you ordered from them before? How's the experience? I searched for the body clip MR250761, and they are not available. Dealer told me to bring one in and they can match whatever they have, to see which looks closest to it. We'll see when I go there next week.
I've used partsouq more times than I can count.

One thing you may find is that north American market part numbers mightn't work. In the cast of clips etc the JDM stuff will be the same, so maybe drill down into the chassis numbers for Japanese domestic models and see if you can get further with part numbers. If you are running a 3.5 SR, then it's going to start with v40 something. V45wg if my memory serves... Then just narrow down by transmission etc until you a close approximation of yours.

If no joy on the clips, post up a pic. I might have a few on hand spending on which ones they are...