Any local fluid film applier? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it's gooey/waxy it might be a Fluid Film type application. If you don't want to deal with it, APS Rust and Tint in Fairfax could look at it and give you an estimate. They clean the undercarriage and treat with Noxudol's line of products. I had them do just the cavity wax on mine, which seems similar to Fluid Film. I just had it done but have gone through undercarriage carwashes a few times and it seems to be holding up. If you do just cavity wax, expect to redo it every year or two.
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't heard of Noxudol, but seems legit from a few minutes of searching. This post on this GarageJournal thread (along with a 2014 thread started by the same person) make a pretty good case for it. Partly due to anti-corrosive ingredients, and partly due to its waxy consistency which helps prevent it from getting washed off. He's not a big fan of FluidFilm, but the first link has a lot of testimonials from happy campers. So to quote the great Roy Underhill, "Yes it works in practice, but does it work in theory?" :cool:

@chudly Nice to meet you and @DominicanFZJ80 yesterday. Per our undercarriage discussion, this is the place you asked about. I only did their Noxudol cavity wax, I told them I didn't want the full treatment because so many recommend just Fluid Film, which is only cavity wax.

(post #51 above)
If it's gooey/waxy it might be a Fluid Film type application. If you don't want to deal with it, APS Rust and Tint in Fairfax could look at it and give you an estimate. They clean the undercarriage and treat with Noxudol's line of products. I had them do just the cavity wax on mine, which seems similar to Fluid Film. I just had it done but have gone through undercarriage carwashes a few times and it seems to be holding up. If you do just cavity wax, expect to redo it every year or two.

I’m a local fluid film applier. In my driveway. Once or twice a year....with my marginally sufficient compressor. If there were a professional in the area that could do it and has done it a lot, I’d consider paying.
I should just try to remember to find a place in New England on our next Canada vacation. If we ever vacation again....
It’s so strange to me that this stuff hasn’t caught on here. It’s no Michigan, but stuff here still gets soooo rusty.

I ended up using Woolwax on my Tacoma. Apparently a less stinky version of Fluid Film. It went on pretty well and will touch up year over year in the fall. I looked at APS and was all ready to drop off the truck but after looking at their work I didn't want such a thick semi permanent goo all over a new frame.

Last edited:
I ended up using Woolwax on my Tacoma. Apparently a less stinky version of Fluid Film. It went on pretty well and will touch up year over year in the fall. I looked at APS and was all ready to drop off the truck but after looking at their work I didn't want such a thick semi permanent goo all over a new frame.

I made the mistake and used APS and the tar like substance has been flaking off. Also makes it terrible to work on the rig as the bolts and nuts are covered and I have to wire brush then PB Blast before working on anything. I have slowly been using Goo Gone Professional to remove the tar like substance.

That sucks.
Ive got 3 cans of fluid film Im ready to go to town under my gx but have hesitated without a lift i wasnt sure how disgusting it would be to slide around under there spraying things from 6” away...its pretty rank stuff eh?

It's stinky, but just smells like lanolin. You can always do a test squirt and see how you'd feel about smelling like that for a bit. It smells WAY better than gear oil.

Not sure if 3 cans is enough. I use almost two just to get the insides of frame rails (box frame on the LC--I think yours is open channel, so a lot easier) and door bottoms. And then about 1/3 gallon through the gun to do the underside. . .

Ive got 3 cans of fluid film Im ready to go to town under my gx but have hesitated without a lift i wasnt sure how disgusting it would be to slide around under there spraying things from 6” away...its pretty rank stuff eh?

Get a Tyvek suit with the hood.

It's stinky, but just smells like lanolin. You can always do a test squirt and see how you'd feel about smelling like that for a bit. It smells WAY better than gear oil.

Not sure if 3 cans is enough. I use almost two just to get the insides of frame rails (box frame on the LC--I think yours is open channel, so a lot easier) and door bottoms. And then about 1/3 gallon through the gun to do the underside. . .
Ah. Sounds like ill need more Fluid Film. The GX470/ 3rd Gen Prado has the same fully boxed frame shared with the 4th Gen 4Runner, FJ and 2nd Gen Taco/Hilux that are all on the 120 Chasis platform. The FJ of course having the short wheel base version.

Awesome-for the fully boxed frame, get the 360 degree spray attachment hose thingmo:

Amazon product ASIN B00CLUGXFI
You just stick it through a hole as far as it goes, make a mental note of how far in it is so you know about where to start your next stroke, and then depress the nozzle and slowly withdraw the hose. Sprays stuff all over.

I bought a kit that had a spray gun, this extension, several bottles for the spray gun, and a gallon of fluid film. Great way to go if you have a compressor.

If you've got ramps you'll have no problem. I put the LC on ramps last fall and and sprayed away

@PRADO3 I’ve got ramps if you want to borrow the
Awesome. Thanks man! I may be in touch in the next few weekends. Something tells me 100degrees and lanolin are not the best combo so Ill hold off this weekend.

I’m a local fluid film applier. In my driveway. Once or twice a year....with my marginally sufficient compressor. If there were a professional in the area that could do it and has done it a lot, I’d consider paying.

I called Xtreme Fab LLC in New Windsor, MD (Carroll County) yesterday. They are a snow plow equipment dealer and fabricator that has sprayed Fluid Film for the past 3 years. The owner sounds like a good guy. He used FF for 12-15 years on a Toyota 4Runner. Impressed with the results, he became a dealer. They spray municipal salt/plow fleets all over the region. He sprays with reservations during a 4-6 week period from September to November.
I don’t think they do any prep other than a pressure wash. Then they use a special rig that is designed to spray snow plows/salt trucks. My truck has light surface rust but I want to stay on top of the rust. I plan to brush and wash it now (August). Then spray Rustoleum, self etching primer, and FF on hot spots that are concerning. Then, in about 8 weeks, drive up to New Windsor and go fishing on Little Pipe Creek for a few hours then have lunch, while the truck gets sprayed.

Apparently because Fluid Film is lanolin based it is environmentally friendly. It kind of fits in with the Outback Drover aesthetic to spray a sheep’s wool derivative on your Ute.

Nice detective work! Any idea what they'll charge? And do you know if they do inside frame rails and inside doors?

Anyone had a chance to contact xtreme fab?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom