Any indication high gas price is bringing the GX values down? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In 2008, Hummers and the like plummetted in value, and everyone was rushing out to get a Prius

LOL, I remember that. Those fake Hummers and spinner wheels were a fad that did not last very long. 2008 was a panic year. It was the first time here in the US that gas prices increased at such a high level in a really short time.

Fortunately I'll be starting a new position that is only 3.5 miles from my home and from what I understand of the company culture, they only come into the office about 3 days a week. I'll probably get an e-bike and do that in fair weather.
That will make a tank of gas last for almost a month, except for our off road outings! And the service/maintenance will also be very stretched out. Win - win! :D

$7/gallon = to $5.16/gallon in 2008

$6/gallon = to $4.42 in 2008

$5/gallon = $3.68 in 2008

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 1.41.51 PM.png

$7/gallon = to $5.16/gallon in 2008

$6/gallon = to $4.42 in 2008

$5/gallon = $3.68 in 2008

View attachment 3035029

But I don't think wages have kept page with inflation either since 2008?

But I don't think wages have kept page with inflation either since 2008?
My industry did and has exceeded the inflation rate if you live outside CA. Drivers are making close to 40.00 an hour with overtime and extra days always available. With most companies you can get on the 8 day 80 hour log with a 36 hours reset in between. Most drivers go on a 6 on 3 off, 5 on 2 off/5 on 3 off schedule.

When I was started over 20 years ago with a 16 hour a day 5 day workweek, you could barely gross 100K per year. Now the guys are pulling down over 165k a year. Pretty decent for an hourly non union job with 100% paid medical and 401K matching benefits. So yes wages are keeping up with inflation. Of course you have to work your behind off for that money. Something I'm not willing to go back to.

My buddies who are still hauling fuel are getting worked to the bone with no end in sight. The demand for petroleum is at record highs right now. The way people drive it's no wonder. Rolling coal and pedal to the metal is the norm around here. I have been tempted to pull out of retirement and go back to hauling gas. But hell no!! I'm not willing to destroy my body anymore than it already is.

I don't know if the GX prices dropped everywhere, I don't think it did, but my neighbor (two houses down) just bought a used '14-18 GX. I'm not sure where his head is at with the way gas prices are. Haha. I love mine, but I wouldn't have advised it right now.

Generally if you can afford a Lexus, you should be able to afford the gas. ;)

It's not about being able to afford it. It's the way it adds up quickly that sucks, at least for me. I love driving mine everywhere, but the frequency with which I have to fill up and seeing the cost, is what bugs me. I guess I'm just cheap. Haha.

Reactions: r2m
It's not about being able to afford it. It's the way it adds up quickly that sucks, at least for me. I love driving mine everywhere, but the frequency with which I have to fill up and seeing the cost, is what bugs me. I guess I'm just cheap. Haha.
I agree, seeing a C-note disappear at every fill up hurts. Fortunately, I can fill up on Camp Pendleton Marine Base so at lest it's the cheapest gas in our vicinity.
Still not as cheap as other parts of the country, but I'll take what I can get.

You get used to it. I have had full size trucks exclusively since 1994. A dirty little secret and part of the reason I quit racing (besides getting aged out) and going to the dunes was the cost of fuel. That was back around 2007 or so. Every weekend hauling bikes out to Lucerne, El Mirage, Dumont/Glamis was expensive.

My KTM300 with a 10 paddle tire, 38PWM carb and big fat main jet would guzzle the fuel. 15-20 gallons a weekend of race fuel and another 50 gallons or more of pump gas getting out there and back home.

Now with my Beta enduro I can ride right out of my driveway and head out for cheap!! I'm presently looking at another big expense. My parents and brother moved out to Nevada 300 miles away and the bi monthly drives out there are adding up.

Reactions: r2m
My industry did and has exceeded the inflation rate if you live outside CA. Drivers are making close to 40.00 an hour with overtime and extra days always available. With most companies you can get on the 8 day 80 hour log with a 36 hours reset in between. Most drivers go on a 6 on 3 off, 5 on 2 off/5 on 3 off schedule.

When I was started over 20 years ago with a 16 hour a day 5 day workweek, you could barely gross 100K per year. Now the guys are pulling down over 165k a year. Pretty decent for an hourly non union job with 100% paid medical and 401K matching benefits. So yes wages are keeping up with inflation. Of course you have to work your behind off for that money. Something I'm not willing to go back to.

My buddies who are still hauling fuel are getting worked to the bone with no end in sight. The demand for petroleum is at record highs right now. The way people drive it's no wonder. Rolling coal and pedal to the metal is the norm around here. I have been tempted to pull out of retirement and go back to hauling gas. But hell no!! I'm not willing to destroy my body anymore than it already is.

Great for the people in that specific job, but as a general rule wages are NOT keeping up with inflation.

Great for the people in that specific job, but as a general rule wages are NOT keeping up with inflation.

All I can say about that is if someones earnings are not keeping up with inflation then it's time to find a job that does. It is easy to see the writing on the wall before a deep hole is dug.

There are many many jobs that pay in line with current inflation. The problem is there are only a select few individuals that are willing to work hard enough to hold down those jobs. I'm retired and payed my dues by working like a slave to make a good wage. Now I am having to budget for the circumstances forced upon me to retire early.

Same scenario goes for the family who has to make difficult spending and geographic choices because the head of household refuses (or is unable) to work in a good paying job.

All I can say about that is if someones earnings are not keeping up with inflation then it's time to find a job that does. It is easy to see the writing on the wall before a deep hole is dug.

There are many many jobs that pay in line with current inflation. The problem is there are only a select few individuals that are willing to work hard enough to hold down those jobs. I'm retired and payed my dues by working like a slave to make a good wage. Now I am having to budget for the circumstances forced upon me to retire early.

Same scenario goes for the family who has to make difficult spending and geographic choices because the head of household refuses (or is unable) to work in a good paying job.
That's all well and good "in theory" but the folks that can pull that off in reality are few and far between. I lead my church congregation, and have seen this over and over and over. The next few years are gonna be tough for a lot of people.

That's all well and good "in theory" but the folks that can pull that off in reality are few and far between. I lead my church congregation, and have seen this over and over and over. The next few years are gonna be tough for a lot of people.
Agreed. It's really hard to pick up and leave a job and take that chance. I dare say is we have to put our faith in God, make the choices and take those chances he has allowed us.

Here are just a few blue collar jobs that keep up and exceed the inflation rate: Hanging drywall/framing/laying tile paid by square foot, electrician, plumber, temporary power technician (generators), heavy fabrication/pipe fitter, working in the oil fields, DEA/FBI field agent, commercial building inspectors.

Desk jockey/white collar jobs: Computer programer, forensics, engineer, drafting/architecture, homicide detective, medical insurance broker, real estate and of course CFO/CEO.

This is just an example of the many jobs in keeping with inflation that are attainable with hard work and real effort.

If I was in my 20's or 30's I would be hanging drywall, laying tile and framing. That is huge money!! If you work fast and efficient you can easily scratch 200K per year. Of course you have to weigh the fuel costs traveling around the country to stay busy.

Agreed. It's really hard to pick up and leave a job and take that chance. I dare say is we have to put our faith in God, make the choices and take those chances he has allowed us.

Here are just a few blue collar jobs that keep up and exceed the inflation rate: Hanging drywall/framing/laying tile paid by square foot, electrician, plumber, temporary power technician (generators), heavy fabrication/pipe fitter, working in the oil fields, DEA/FBI field agent, commercial building inspectors.

Desk jockey/white collar jobs: Computer programer, forensics, engineer, drafting/architecture, homicide detective, medical insurance broker, real estate and of course CFO/CEO.

This is just an example of the many jobs in keeping with inflation that are attainable with hard work and real effort.

If I was in my 20's or 30's I would be hanging drywall, laying tile and framing. That is huge money!! If you work fast and efficient you can easily scratch 200K per year. Of course you have to weigh the fuel costs traveling around the country to stay busy.
But if you're a single mom, living paycheck to paycheck at a dead end job, how do you transition into ANY of those?

Last edited:
But if you're a single mom, living paycheck to paycheck at a dead end job, how do transition into ANY of those?

Well then you probably don't have a GX and you will spend your time training to get that job. I have seen plenty of single mothers make it happen. No excuse for not changing ones life to a positive one when poor choices were made to be put in that circumstance.

I do agree with you that there are many jobs out there that keep up with inflation that many people can transition to, but the down side is, as an example all the blue collar jobs you listed require either being an apprentice or journeyman, which means several years at the bottom pay scale until one either gets licensed, certified, bonded, etc. There really aren't any real good paying jobs that one can transition into without starting off with a cut in pay for a while as they learn their craft.
I've a bunch of friends what were (construction) contractors that did transition from blue collar contracting (masonry, framing, plumbing, etc.) to being inspectors because their bodies were just worn out from all that heavy work for so many years. For them, it was kind of a natural transition since being in the industry they already had a foot in the door know all the laws concerning inspection for their own trade, then they just took certificate classes for all the other construction trades (electrical plumbing, framing, etc.). Being an inspector was the best move of their lives! City/government jobs, and ALL the benefits and retirement!

There really aren't any real good paying jobs that one can transition into without starting off with a cut in pay for a while as they learn their craft.

Then it means work more hours or take on a second job. I went through all this stuff when training for various positions when I was younger. Unfortunately there is no free lunch. When I was in my 20's I had a dead end job that paid almost 16.00 per hour. I took a 50% pay cut knowing that once my new employer saw what I could bring to the table I would move up quick. In just a few short years and 16+ hour days I made close to 20.00 per hour.

I switched careers once again (now I'm in my 40's) starting at the bottom and working my butt off to climb back up. I stayed with this industry for almost 20 years knowing that it pays really well and is impervious to age discrimination, inflation and recession.

Working hard in a job that you don't like to get ahead sucks. That's why it's called work. The problem is only a few want to sacrifice to get ahead. Recessions and inflation have been going on since the beginning of man kind.

The last 10 years (and some previous ones) of me working were brutal and horrible. The last 5 or so were the worst years of working in my life!! Un-damn-bearable!! Yet I got up every afternoon and worked my night shift never being late, showing up ready to work and did beyond what was required.

Now that I'm retired it's all about budgeting and still enjoying my golden years. The gas prices are going to continue to climb as long as the demand is greater than what is made available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom