Any differences between OEM AHC Shocks and OEM Non-AHC shocks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Haven't been active for awhile as I haven't had a rig (used to have FJ80 - my avatar) but I finally picked up a 2004 LX 470. Super stoked to be back in a cruiser.

The previous owner removed the AHC and put on an OME lift (OME 865 springs, OME torsions bars, OME shocks, and SPC uppers). The current shocks (OE Spectrums - OME's went bad) and I am needing to replace them. Was looking at Bilsteins or more OME's, but from searching, many are saying the OEM shocks provide a really nice ride. I've seen a big price difference between OEM AHC shocks and the OEM Non AHC shocks and was wondering if there were any differences and if I could run the non AHC with my lift (would lift be affected more so by the non AHC)?

Thanks in advance for any help! 🤙

Here is a photo of it! Picked it up like 2 or so months ago.

20220320_184359.jpg

The shocks won't have as much to do with lift as your springs and torsion bars. I don't know if OME are any longer than stock to accommodate for lift, but theoretically yeah, an OEM conventional shock will give you a much better ride than an OME.

The shocks won't have as much to do with lift as your springs and torsion bars. I don't know if OME are any longer than stock to accommodate for lift, but theoretically yeah, an OEM conventional shock will give you a much better ride than an OME.

Awesome! Thanks. Good to hear I wont lose any lift. And that would be nice, because the current OE Spectrums are not providing a smooth ride at all (granted one is broken/failing). Lol

It sounds like you have an aftermarket lift kit, and aren't running AHC anymore. Non-AHC OEM shocks will work fine for you.

Very important:
AHC is a suspension system, the "shocks" aren't really shocks at all, they're more like hydraulic rams and the hydraulic accumulator "globes" function as the shock absorbers, and also as springs (with the additional assistance of metal springs.

You cannot run "AHC shocks" on a non-AHC rig, (I mean, you could install them, but they'd do literally nothing)

Similarly, if you run non-AHC shocks (actual shocks) on a cruiser with AHC, then you will loose AHC... you'd notice when all the AHC fluid runs out on you driveway after you disconnect the hydraulic lines from the top of the AHC shocks.

It sounds like you have an aftermarket lift kit, and aren't running AHC anymore. Non-AHC OEM shocks will work fine for you.

Very important:
AHC is a suspension system, the "shocks" aren't really shocks at all, they're more like hydraulic rams and the hydraulic accumulator "globes" function as the shock absorbers, and also as springs (with the additional assistance of metal springs.

You cannot run "AHC shocks" on a non-AHC rig, (I mean, you could install them, but they'd do literally nothing)

Similarly, if you run non-AHC shocks (actual shocks) on a cruiser with AHC, then you will loose AHC... you'd notice when all the AHC fluid runs out on you driveway after you disconnect the hydraulic lines from the top of the AHC shocks.
Ah, copy that. I was under the impression that AHC was a seperate hydraulic system that still utilized traditional shocks. This is great news though, as the non AHC shocks are much cheaper. Haha

Also, I truly do appreciate your help, Semper! Your explanation was great. It now makes total sense. Again, thanks. 🤙

Edit: I'll get another photo posted when I get the shocks installed so people can see the OME lift with OEM shocks.

A lot of us run OME coils and t-bars with OEM Toyota Tokico shocks, me included.

A lot of us run OME coils and t-bars with OEM Toyota Tokico shocks, me included.
Sweet! How you like it?

And I figured it had been done several times before. Just wanted to post something to try and give back to the community and show a photo of the setup for others to view. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom