Any benefits of manual hubs ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah I had assumed you could use your stock ring gear and pinion.

You DO reuse your ring gear and pinion. All you are doing is adding a locker but it requires you re-set up your gears.

You also would not need to use a master kit, but they include everything you would need and then some and it is best to start with new bearings, though the old ones might be just fine.

The $$$ you save by going into 2WD from a factory made AWD is truly a downgrade in safety. I wish all my 4WD's are AWD's. The fuel mileage is truly negligible. I get 17.6 MPG on my AWD LC at 75 MPH and 17 MPG on my 3rd gen 4runner (with 4WD on) at 70-80 MPH (driven on pouring rain).

I agree with the safety part,

However, it's not just MPG, 2006-2007 100 series cruisers here that come with AWD transfer case like what mine originally came with have a few issues.

Loud pop/clunk when shifting gears regardless of if it's automatic or manual the 2006-2007 100 series here makes a loud clunk when shifting gears, I am not sure if you guys in the states have the same AWD transfer case or not but it's a well-known issue. Locals who are not bothered to swap to a 2005 or lower transfer case just remove the front driveshaft and lock the center diff. Shifts are much smoother on 2WD. Lighter steering and a smoother ride overall. Then again our weather here is extremely dry year-round and we don't have snow so traction benefits of AWD are not as significant.

Next time you go out for a drive try to focus when the vehicle is shifting gears if you guys have the same AWD transfer case you will know exactly what I mean.

BTW surprisingly my 100 is getting ARB front and rear lockers + nitro 4.88 ring and pinions installed as we speak, saw you guys talking about lockers, however, I decided not to install manual hubs. Ill stick with the on the fly button on the dash and the auto hubs.

Last edited:
Master install kit for the front is about $325- required when installing a locker

Kit Contents:
Pinion Bearing & Race x2
Carrier Bearing & Race x2
Pinion Nut x1
Pinion Seal x1
Pinion Depth Shims
Crush Sleeve x1
Stub Axle Side Seal x2
Silicone x1
Marking Compound x1
Brush x1
Loctite x1

And FWIW I would not recommend using an AUTO-Locker in a front end application.

If you aren't regearing is there any reason to mess with the pinion at all though? If you leave the pinion in place you wouldn't need new seals,, crush sleeve and shims etc?

To put in an E-locker with stock gearing you could just buy new bearings, axles seals ( just in case) and some shims for the carrier right? Technically you could re-use the old bearings I would think too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom