Anti-Seize vs Moly Grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the input. Now just gotta find a bottle with a brush anywhere on line since no local shops have it. ???

Local to where?

What state, and where?

central NJ near Morristown.

Seriously, no local shops carry it - I HAVE checked. Course we don't have any chain shops around here though either.

You could call Foley Tractor in Piscataway, (Caterpillar dealer) give them that part number I put out here,(4C-5599) and they should not have a problem shipping it to you. Should be around 6.50 for the larger can with a brush in the top.

732 885 5555 ask for heavy equipment parts, and then ask them to ship you a "safe souce" catalog too. There is a lot of other items in there you may find interesting.

Good luck!

-Steve

the only two types of "never sieze" you need are the copper and graphite(the silver one). i have very little exprence(sp) with the copper base, however i've been using the graphite based stuff for 12yrs now.

machines i built 10 yrs are starting to come back to the factory (read:shop) to be re-built now. and although the never seize i applied when i was 18 has long since dryed out, the graphite remained. despite the heavy rust and wear on everything the parts i needed off it, fell off(with a big hammer :D) now that i'm 29.

Thanks!

Poser, you near Pisc? I lived there and just moved about 1-1/2 yrs ago. Used to live over by River Road.

Junk: gotta believe that someone in Morristown or Morris Plains carries the stuff. My local CarParts guys have it. NAPA has it. Geeze, even ShopRite has it. :flipoff2:

Tom

sorry for my "misinformation" post (if you can call asking a question spreading mis information) i was once told to put the dialectric grease (or some form of conductive grease, which the person informing me called dialectric grease) on the contacts of my distributer to stop water ingress from causing too many problems.

was also told to put it on battery terminals to prevent corrosion, while allowing the electricity to flow. anyone want to tell me what it is really called (hence my first QUESTION which was labeled miss information)

i know this stuff exists, it goes on the terminal of marine batteries all the time... just don't know what to call it.

You have it correct with dielectric grease. It does not contain anything that inherently conducts electricity though; it just does not allow the contacts to become overtaken by corrosion, possibly causing problems later down the road, by sealing them in the grease.

Not worth getting bent over pal...

What time is it there?

Good luck!

-Steve

Got my tub of it from Foley today Poser - thanks. Shees, that place is less than 3/4 miles from where I used to live. :eek:

You're not that guy that used to have a red 40 under a tarp on Plainfield Ave are you?

Nope.

I live in MN. Just work for a Caterpillar distributor here, and looked in the dealer guide for something close to you...

Did you get a safe source book from them, or were they out?

-Steve

Cool. Well, thanks for looking it up. Greatly appreciated it. No book. They refused to give me one saying it was only for corporate accounts. :(

Thanks for the help.

if the greese doesn't conduct electricity, then how does the current pass between the contacts of the rotor button and the contacts in the distributer cap?

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=14;threadid=9083;start=msg84320#msg84320 date=1073207216]
if the greese doesn't conduct electricity, then how does the current pass between the contacts of the rotor button and the contacts in the distributer cap?
[/quote]

It is the metal to metal contact. The grease makes sure that everything else does not start corroding. WHen you use it on (for example) an HEI spark plug, you coat the entire contact area of the plug - then when you snap the wire on, that action wipes the grease from the actual contac point. all other areas are the protected. On HEI, this is to prevent the high voltage arc from seeking an easier path to ground.

Jim

I'm late to this thread, but FWIW, anti sieze works great on spark plugs, especially in 2fs with rusty sixth-cylindar threads! It's like pancake syrup, though--get it one place, next thing you know it's all over. Use sparingly. I usually just put a thin edge on the leading threads and it gets spread out as you screw in. Hmmmm, kinda like KY . . . . :eek:

They've got it in Crap Boys, even if the staff can't find it. . . .

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=9083;start=msg84184#msg84184 date=1073183521]
Cool. Well, thanks for looking it up. Greatly appreciated it. No book. They refused to give me one saying it was only for corporate accounts. :(

Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

If you would like, PM me your address, and I will see about getting one sent out to you.

-Steve

so the contacts in the dizzy will be wiped by the rotor button? i think i got it now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom