Antenna behavior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fishers, Indiana (northeast 'burb of Indy)
I've searched for the answer with no luck. In my '02 LC with factory nav, the antenna goes fully up with the radio on, and fully down when the radio or truck is off, as expected. However, when I manually lower it, it doesn't retract all the way but stays up about three inches. Also, when I change from radio to tape or disc, it doesn't retract as I would expect (as my '99 4Runner did) but stays at full height. Is this normal?

Manual Lowering sounds normal, mine has never gone down all the way using the manual switch. However, changing to a non-antenna function should take it all the way down. Have you cleaned and lubricated the antenna?

Maybe the rear radio controls are "on" so that the antenna thinks a rear passenger is listening to the radio while you listen to a disk. I've left mine this way because it bugs me when the antenna keeps going up and down when I switch functions.

This may be helpful:

On our 2000 LX (Nakamichi stereo) the antenna only comes up when using the radio (AM/FM). When manually lowering, it always keeps about three inches out. If i switch to a CD, the antenna goes away. (FWIW 2000UZJs LC antenna works the same way)

On our 2001 LX (Mark Levinson stereo) the antenna comes up anytime the head unit is turned on. It always keeps atleast three inches visible, even when i manually lower it. Only way to make it go all the way down is to turn off the head unit.

So depending on the year you compare it to, it may be broken, it may not :D

It's not broken.

This is operating as intended. Turn your radio (or truck) off to bring antenna all the way down.

Hm. It seems odd that Toyota would take a step back, IMHO, from the '99 4Runner which I think worked logically: when the tape or disc was playing, the antenna would automatically go completely down (thus preventling any damage by logs, trees, aliens, etc), or it could be completely retracted with the interior switch.

Thanks for the responses - glad to know it's not malfunctioning.

when switching between functions constantly, that put's more wear and tear on the antenna motor. I've got full control of mine, since it is full manual control - no motor :D

Ok how'd you do that? That's how the 80 antenna works and it's the ideal setup IMO, would love to get the same on the 100.

[EDIT] See my signature for a link to the how.

Here's Why and How.

First I have a 2000 / non-NAV 100 but you could do this in any 100.

Second I have a Pioneer AVIC Head Unit which actually controls the antenna how you would want it... Use AM/FM and the antenna comes up. Any other source the antenna is down.

Third I'm planning to upgrade my system shortly to include new power amp and speakers.

My issue: is that Pioneer has only one trigger wire to signal the AMP and/or antenna. This means once I upgrade the system, in order to have the AMP turn on it would fire the antenna trigger for up (positive voltage from Pioneer trigger wire) since it's the same wire.

Solution: Install a toggle switch to interrupt the antenna trigger. In my case splitting off the trigger wire into two, one lead runs to the amplifier location, the other lead to the input of the toggle switch. The output of the toggle switch connects to the antenna remote lead (blue wire) in the factory harness.

You could intercept that blue wire even in a stock radio install by tapping a toggle switch in line.

Last edited:
Here's Why and How.

First I have a 2000 / non-NAV 100 but you could do this in any 100.

Second I have a Pioneer AVIC Head Unit which actually controls the antenna how you would want it... Use AM/FM and the antenna comes up. Any other source the antenna is down.

Third I'm planning to upgrade my system shortly to include new power amp and speakers.

My issue: is that Pioneer has only one trigger wire to signal the AMP and/or antenna. This mean once I upgrade the system, in order to have the AMP turn on it would fire the antenna trigger for up (positive voltage from Pioneer trigger wire) since it's the same wire.

Solution: Install a toggle switch to interrupt the antenna trigger. In my case splitting off the trigger wire into two, one lead runs to the amplifier location, the other lead to the input of the toggle switch. The output of the toggle switch connects to the antenna remote lead (blue wire) in the factory harness.

You could intercept that blue wire even in a stock radio install by tapping a toggle switch in line.

I also have a 2000 w/o nav and the antenna position is in the memory of the radio. Whatever position I put the antenna in with the radio on, it will come back to that position next time I turn the radio on - even fully retracted. But I don't understand why anybody would want the antenna retracted when listening to radio stations, since reception is abysmal anyway. When I switch to CD or Ipod, it retracts automatically.

when switching between functions constantly, that put's more wear and tear on the antenna motor. I've got full control of mine, since it is full manual control - no motor :D

What permanent antenna did you go with and how is the reception? I have been thinking about getting rid of my power antenna as well.

I also have a 2000 w/o nav and the antenna position is in the memory of the radio. Whatever position I put the antenna in with the radio on, it will come back to that position next time I turn the radio on - even fully retracted. But I don't understand why anybody would want the antenna retracted when listening to radio stations, since reception is abysmal anyway. When I switch to CD or Ipod, it retracts automatically.

In my case it's about having the antenna down when NOT listening to the radio. As I said the Pioneer AVIC handles it perfectly as installed but once I make the jump to aftermarket amplifier I'll need additional manual control. I dont want the antenna up, even at it's minmal 4" height when I'm listening to XM or my iPad.

What permanent antenna did you go with and how is the reception? I have been thinking about getting rid of my power antenna as well.

OEM 100 series one :D Reception is unchanged, if not better. I've maybe used the radio twice in the two years since I put it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom