Another tire option - Cooper Discoverer AT/3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there is a lot of information on the site for tire recommendations for folks that wheel a lot. For me, this is my daily driver and I don’t wheel it hard, but I do get offroad some.. camping, muddy conditions, river beds etc, so I did want an All Terrain. I’ve been running Nitto Terra Grapplers, which fit my off road needs well and have a fairly aggressive look. My only complaint with those has been road noise. I didn’t like the constant drone at highway speeds. So I decided to give these Cooper Discoverer AT/3 LT tires a try. These are E load rated 10 ply tires. Real happy with them so far. Very quite on the road and seem to ride really well.

Hope this helps somebody else out there that may be struggling to select a tire for similar type use.

A447F1CB-A278-4B60-8549-65D00C0D4B1F.jpeg

Last edited:
Edit-I have the regular AT3. Not the LT

Last edited:
Just a minor point...

The tire in the picture is actually the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT, not a Discoverer A/T3.

They're different models, and Cooper does a really poor job IMO differentiating between them.

I had Cooper Discoverer A/T3's E range on my 2nd Gen Tundra and LOVED them. That truck is gone, and now my Taco has Disco A/T3's and I'm finding them every bit as transformative.

Just a minor point...

The tire in the picture is actually the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT, not a Discoverer A/T3.

They're different models, and Cooper does a really poor job IMO differentiating between them.

I had Cooper Discoverer A/T3's E range on my 2nd Gen Tundra and LOVED them. That truck is gone, and now my Taco has Disco A/T3's and I'm finding them every bit as transformative.
Do you know what the difference is? The ones I originally ordered from Discount Tire Direct were the A/T3’s listed for $135 a tire. They called me and told me there was a mistake on their site and those were discontinued and no longer available and the new version was the AT3 LT for $181 a tire.

Last edited:
Have these on my 2015 4Runner and absolutely love them. Great in snow, rain and off road. Very quite on highway. Way more that I thought.

Do you know what the difference is? The ones I originally ordered from Discount Tire Direct were the A/T3’s listed for $135 a tire. They called me and told me there was as a mistake on their site and those were discontinued and no longer available and the new version was the AT3 LT for $181 a tire.

From the Cooper site:

Discoverer A/T3
55,000 Mile Treadwear Protection - Light Truck sizes
60,000 Mile Treadwear Protection - SUV sizes

The Discoverer A/T3™ is an all-season, all-terrain tire designed to perform well on the highway and off for drivers of SUVs and light duty trucks.
  • Excellent highway performance
  • Excellent wet traction
  • Improved treadwear and traction in rocky and gravel terrain
M+S Rated

Discoverer AT3 LT
60,000 Mile Treadwear Protection - LT-metric sizes
The Discoverer AT3 LT™ with Durable Tread Technology™ hauls heavy loads with less wear and are built to withstand ongoing assault from dirt and gravel.
  • Designed to prevent shredding on rocky and gravel terrain
  • Extreme durability for hauling
  • Superior control and braking in wet weather

Cutting through the marketing-speak, it sounds like the A/T3 is more road biased and the AT3 LT is perhaps heavier duty and more offroad biased. And the AT3 LT is not rated for winter conditions.

I've had Discount Tire try to feed me a load of BS on more than one occasion. It sounds like that's what they were doing to you. The A/T3 is definitely still available.

I have a set of these on my 91 in a 31x10.5-15. I've been happy with them.

IMG_20180428_101542.jpg

LT is probably a harder compound.

I agree.

Cooper offers 60K mile warranty on the AT3 LT, which are E range, and only 55K mile on the E range A/T3.

Love mine, perfect desert and winter driving tire! I think these are very under rated, can’t believe more folks aren’t taking about them.

Very popular tire with the rover crowd. Think the biggest "down side" of this tire is that it doesn't LOOK aggressive, it's an extremely civil tire on the road and very good offroad......BUT it doesn't look aggressive which is what most people are going for, looks.

Last edited:
This tire (not sure whether the LT or not) won Expedition Portal AT tire shootout a couple years ago.

I just replaced a set of the AT3 LT tires with a set of Discoverer ATPs. Loved the AT3s, got 62k out of them, probably could have done another 10k. I really like the more aggressive look of the ATPs though (nothing against the AT3s).

Very popular tire with the rover crowd. Think the biggest "down side" of this tire is that it doesn't LOOK aggressive, it's an extremely civil tire on the road and very good offroad......BUT it doesn't look aggressive which is what most people are going for, looks.

FWIW, I think what helps give a tire the more aggressive look is the sidewall pattern. The AT3 LT does have a more aggressive look (more pronounced sidewall pattern) than the A/T3’s. In fact the A/T3’s appear to have little to no sidewall pattern. The AT3 4S adds a little sidewall pattern, then the AT3 LT a little more, and then the AT3 XLT even more.

I had a set on my 100 series. They did very well in the snow, rain and on icy roads. This is most likely the tire ill end up going with on my Tacoma once I lift it.

The Cooper AT3 looks very similar to the tread pattern on the Big O A/ts I have on the 92. The Big O's are manufactured by Cooper. I have run mine for 4+ years and 35k and they are wearing extremely well; tons of tread left and no issues at all. They were very competitively priced and offered a better warranty than BFGs when I got them, 50k I think plus free three year replacement and all the service stuff. I just had them rotated and Big O is now offering a sweet looking mud terrain, I am considering them for my super duty. two thumbs up for the Coopers

also, my cruiser is still "full time" 4wd (to my dismay, aisin hubs soon hopefully) and I do mostly highway, and occasionally gravel. No diff locks. I drive like grampa too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom