another starter problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings to all. I am a new forum member and am the original owner of a meticulously maintained 93 LC with 150K miles and a recently installed TRD Supercharger.(anyone else out there with a TRD?)
My Problem: over past 3 months, starter has not engaged on at least 4 separate occasions. Key is turned, nothing happens. Turn key again... either same thing happens or starter engages eventually.....Battery is new. Charging system has been checked. No loose connections. Is starter (original Desno)beginning to fail? Has it outlived it's service life anyway and should be replaced? if so, should I replace with 1.4KWDenso or 2.2 Bosch reman.? ???
Thanks to all.

Have you replaced the contacts?

First Welcome! :flipoff2:

Second, search the archives. This is a much discussed topic. If you are mechaniclly inclined, drop a pm to Cruiserdan and pick up a set of contacts and refurb that starter yourself. If not prepare to pay the dealer about $300 for a remfg starter and another couple hundred for installation. I'm on my third starter. DON'T wait!!! When I knew my second starter was going - telltale clicks when you turn the key and then eventually engaging - I waited to long and it seized and fried my alternator as well. Several folks on this board have replaced contacts, much cheaper way to go if you know how.

Good Luck and again DON'T wait!

Teutonik,
You '93 probably has one of the better starters that was equipped on US spec 80s. You should try to keep that one and get the contacts & plunger replaced.

As Brent said, there are several posts with all the p/n's and installation tips.

Is your ignition key functioning properly? :D
-B-

I am mechanically challenged and wouldn't know where the contacts are located much less able to replace them. Does remanned starter include new contacts? Guess I should feel fortunate that I haven't had to replace starter yet @ 150K miles. Thanks Brent.

P.S. Since I have a TRD SC should I opt for the 2.2KW starter even tho I've only got a 1.4KW in there now???

BTW can you drop in a 2.2kw starter in place of the 2.0kw when it fails on 95-97 models?

Beowulf:
I can get a remanned Denso for about $205. Seems pretty reasonable.

Teutonik,
The new contacts are under $20 and the plunger is about $20. It takes about 2 hrs to do the R&R; much less for those of us that have done it a few times.

I can't help on the price for a reman starter as I've never bought one and don't keep up with the price of anything except the S/C.

I'll swap you a brand spankin' new starter for that S/C. :D

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom