another sm420 question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by plan66, Jul 13, 2003.

1. plan66

plan66

I'm looking at two sm420's in a local wrecking yard. One is from a 1 ton, the other from a 2 or 2.5 ton.

Anyway, I looked at Pinhead's writeup and a couple others, but I see the two sm420's I'm looking at have a different casting by the reverse gear bulge. These ones have two horizontal ribs, one above, the other bellow the filler plug. Otherwise the trannys look the same. Oh, both have a parking brake drum. One is L213, (Dec 21 63 ?), the 2ton is K85 (Nov 8, 65 ?).

Will the lower rib interfere with the transfercase output if I use a plate adapter? It looks like it 'should' clear, but its hard to tell. Anyone use this setup?

Thanks
    Martin

2. Chef

Chef

Later 420's had the reinforcement ribs. They don't interfere any more than the first/reverse gear hump...

3. Cruzilla

Cruzilla

If you are using the one inch plate you will have to grind off the rib and grind down the yoke/U-joint down to the lock washers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.