Another newbie question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've noticed some guys are using syn rope on their winches as compared to wire rope or "winch cable" that I'm accustomed to. What are the pros and cons? :dunno:

stronger huh? I would have never guessed. I've got a lot to learn.

I just bought an amsteel blue rope from up and over.The main thing I got it for was the safety factor, if A steel rope breaks, theres a ton ofenergy stored in it and it can have deadly consequences, the synth rope will drop to the ground when it breaks. Most rockcrawling evens require it now.
P1010077.jpg

P1010078.jpg

P1010079.jpg

P1010080.jpg

Yeah, I haven't come across a problem, unless you plan to use it in a forest fire....

Pros, some have been covered,
If it breaks or cuts, you can tie a knot in it and go.
Lots lighter, u can throw the hook up a hill.
It floats.
Doesn't bruise when smashed between rocks and the fairlead, and then break in same spot on next hard pull.

Cons:
Dirt is bad, gets inside the fibers and cuts from the inside.
Fairlead must be compatible to prevent snags and chafing, if thats a con?
Rope gets pinched on spool between rows and requires constant loading when unspooling to prevent wrapping back on it's self.

I have run it almost a year, comps do require it, and I love it!

Hey Scott, What did you pay for that rope? I have been looking into it to replace my wire. There is a place up near my house that makes it called Masterpull and I was wondering if their prices are fair. What are the specs on your line?

thanks for the info

I purchased mine thru Rockstomper.com

LOVE the stuff...slightly higher strength, never kinks, does occasionally "layer over" itself and will fight when un-spooling, but nothing you can't yank out by hand...very light, no wires to cut your hand on. IMO, a great improvement over the awkward wire that comes on them stock.

The weight difference is amazing....150' of 5/16" rope is about 3-4#....cable is 50+#.

The only concern I've had is when winching others....when you pull yourself from a situation, the rope never drags over obstacles under any tension, since you are moving towards the winch point. When winching someone else loose, obstacles become quick fray points...Rockstomper (and others) do include nylon sleeves for protection which helps a ton, but it's still a concern for me....

course, 95% of the people I wheel with have their own winch, so not a BIG concern! lol

Hey Scott, What did you pay for that rope? I have been looking into it to replace my wire. There is a place up near my house that makes it called Masterpull and I was wondering if their prices are fair. What are the specs on your line?

thanks for the info
I paid 138 for the rope. It's 125' 5/16th rope. This is the amsteel blue, which is supposed to be an improvement on the masterpull rope. More heat resistance and higher strength.

If I ever get my cruiser back from getting it's cage installed, I'll install it and give it a test.

another advantage of using thw rope over the wire is that the rope has more flex in it, the cable has a bit of flex, but not as much as the rope.

the rope is also easier to handle and is much lighter and safer if it breaks.

Another advantage of using the rope over the wire is that the rope has more flex in it, the cable has a bit of flex, but not as much as the rope.

the rope is also easier to handle and is much lighter and safer if it breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom