Another DIY attic rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Plagiarized design, nothing new here. Just wanted to show end result. If you have a welder this is a fairly easy project. I have a 2005 LX with vertical assist grips on both sides.

Purchased a 2’x4’ wall grid (1/4” wire, 3” grids) from a local store fixture supply store for $20. They had used chromed grids for $12, but I wanted to start with a black one. Brackets made from 3”x1/8” steel flat from hardware store for $12. Make a cardboard template to fit the assist grip recess in the headliner.

I cut down the grid from 24” to 18”, reused the two 48” wires from the cutoff end to finish the edge with double wires (like original grid) and formed a hoop on front to prevent items from launching forward during strong braking.

Most challenging part is getting the brackets aligned and attached. I bolted them on and clamped the grid in place. I VERY CAREFULLY tack welded the brackets with my TIG torch. I backed out the bolts a few turns to create some air gap to the headliner, disconnected the battery and had a fire extinguisher on hand. There’s probably a safer & easier way to accomplish this!
7469813A-E108-4E7A-955D-A739FB9BFAC9.jpeg

EE4845A0-FB9D-4361-BEB4-B887E3201102.jpeg
2DCE3787-8A7E-4BCD-BBDA-EF7DF8CA3887.jpeg
0CDE6947-2A93-4B28-BBC8-5E1AFCFF5808.jpeg
78D3B5A1-C4BA-47E1-8389-B1E25009030D.jpeg

Right on! It’s fun making stuff huh?

Right on! It’s fun making stuff huh?
Yeah, thanks for the inspiration! I have been following your thread for the bolt-on brackets for the wire shelf rack, got the urge to build something after a particularly stressful day at work. I attempted to make one a couple years ago using a closet rack and some sheet metal brackets and it was too flimsy and bounced around. I’m an engineer myself and certainly appreciate your efforts to design, validate and “mass produce” a bolt-on option for fellow mudders.

I like the fact you brought your TIG torch inside the vehicle. I don’t know that I have the stones for that. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom