Another Desmog question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1983 US Spec FJ40
It was Desmogged by prior owner. Who spent what I can tell over 10 years restoring it.

I am no way a mechanic

I had some ignition issues when I got it but have resolved them.

My question, and there probably be more is what to do with the PVC hose. It currently is just open to atmosphere.

Ive been studing Boricks instructions dating back a few years and it looks that prior owner used alot of Jimc parts.

airfilter caps, airpump, framerail plugs etc...

In picture 2 is the hose that goes around bak of engine is currently just open

20230305_133123[2821].jpg

20230305_133135.jpg

Last edited:
How about a pic of the carb/air cleaner set up. PVC should attach to the air cleaner housing.
Sounds like you might have a different set up than OEM.

How about a pic of the carb/air cleaner set up. PVC should attach to the air cleaner housing.
Sounds like you might have a different set up than OEM.
Im not only not a mechanic but alos not so good on the computer, pictures I sent didn't attach. Should be there now.

Thank You
Jim

I believe the PVC hose should attach here..
20230305_194509.jpg

Edit: never mind. It should attach to a barb on the Intake as Zero said above. The vent from valve cover attaches to where I circled.

The FSM also shows the intake for the '81...presumably same for '83. It typically needs more vacuum than just the air filter housing.

EDIT: attached the emissions FSM as well in case it helps with other desmogg'y bits.

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 6.52.57 PM.png

Attachments

• 2f_emissions_control-1981-3.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
030A03.gif

From Spector Offroad.
#20 PVC hose. #30 the hose from Air Cleaner to top off Valve Cover.

Edit because I can't see..🤣

Last edited:
I think #20 is the PCV hose, going to the intake - #21 is the PCV valve.

#30 is the hose between the air cleaner and valve cover.

I really should wear my reading glasses more...

Thanks for the comments. In comparing the 76 manifold to mine, I see that the area is the same area that the EGR has been blocked, per desmog instructions in Borick document and purposely capped. I would assume that this completely removes any PCV function. Does that seem right that the line from PCV is not supposed to be connected to anything after Desmog, and just lay open to air ?

20230305_184930.jpg

20230306_105611.jpg

intake.jpg

Seems like they decided to lump PCV into the "desmog" process, but they're also slightly unrelated. You can definitely leave the intake capped, but you'd generally want to run the PCV hose to a catch-can to catch any output from a cleanliness perspective.

That said, the PCV system is pretty simple (the one valve, one hose) compared to the EGR/Smog system, and it does have some value to have that vacuum pull to evacuate blowby gases. Myself, I'd hook it back up as it's simple and effective, and fairly trouble-free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom