Builds another cummins swap thread/build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally broke the tranny!!!
well the lock up stuff and damper plate inside the torque converter, it still ran fine just wouldnt hold 4th gear locked up.
Dropped the trans took out the torque converter, had it rebuild locally and put it back together, she's good as new!
no more rolling coal, it's too much work :flipoff2:

interesting, how many miles what kind of driving. how much fuel/boost. i really didn't expect mine to last but now 20K in of hard city driving no change in shifts or holding power. i'm pushing 30psi through most shifts pulled 3k trailer through CO passes this summer no trans issues but some over heating pushing to hard to hold normal speeds., I drove by EGT 1300 and let off. 20-25 psi at altitude. once heat soaked it's over, even once you slow down. Monarch was the only one i stopped in the middle of to cool for 10 min coming from the west.

interesting, how many miles what kind of driving. how much fuel/boost. i really didn't expect mine to last but now 20K in of hard city driving no change in shifts or holding power. i'm pushing 30psi through most shifts pulled 3k trailer through CO passes this summer no trans issues but some over heating pushing to hard to hold normal speeds., I drove by EGT 1300 and let off. 20-25 psi at altitude. once heat soaked it's over, even once you slow down. Monarch was the only one i stopped in the middle of to cool for 10 min coming from the west.
I dont think I've pushed my truck too hard for the most part over 15K miles, mainly highway towing a 17ft aluminum boat. Its the goofing off that did it, like brake launches spinning all 4 wheels, setting the lock up at 35MPH and stomping on it to roll coal.
I think the trans is still fine, there wasnt much gunk at the bottom of the pan at all and I doubt the fluid was ever flsuhed.
It's a real pain trying to drop the trans with the motor still in the truck, because you cant slide it back at all to seperate it, you need to tip the motor and trans down to clear the trans tunnel.

Ha, I do love the black cloud but my lockup is set at 45 and mine has been good so far. I believe I have around 30k on my conversion. I dont do the brake launches very often.
haha it's hard to drive nicely sometimes.
I've set my TCC at 46 now, might change third to fourth shift around 36 as well it's at 30 now.
I'm thinking about ditching the XML's for a lighter 37" tire, 1 tire alone weights 125 pounds and is 38.7", most 37" tires are around 80 pounds that's a lot of strain off the driveline.

on a recent trip I had an unused oil pressure sensor leak and lost about 8 litres of oil while driving around 70MPH before I noticed, got it fixed at a Flying J truck stop. So we continued the trip doing another 3000 miles.
I pulled some oil and sent it off for analysis for peace of mind and it came back good!!!! cummins has around 250,000 miles.
upload_2017-11-29_19-58-14.png

still going, switched the efans out for the cummins clutch fan, pulls was more air.
Did you have heat issues? I run hot only if it’s 90+ A/C on and over 80 mph. At those speeds air should be pushing through quicker than any fan.

ya, it would get hot, especially slow trails with AC on
How hot are you talking? Enough to move the Toyota needle north?

Yeah mine runs hot in the 90+ temps off-roading or pulling my little camp trailer. I went camping the end of July and ran the needle right up to the red the whole trip over (100 deg day), I would have to turn the heat on to climb hills.

I have dual electric puller fans and one pusher fan on the AC condenser. I have an all aluminum 4 cor radiator that I need to get in but need to make a new fan shroud for it to see if that helps. I also noticed that I need to get a different lower temp thermostat, temps climb into the red before the stat opens.

Oh wow. I have never had any heat issues with my cummins, but I have been runing the mechanical fan since day 1.
I didn’t even consider the mech fan when I did my swap.... I actually didn’t even get the fan bracket from Dustin until about a year after my conversion. I had tossed all those parts by then and never looked into buying aftermarket.

What kind of e-fans did you use? I tossed my clutch fan, and decided to go the dual e-fan route. I also have a 4 core aluminum radiator for the swap and am going to be making a shroud for it.

I didn’t even consider the mech fan when I did my swap.... I actually didn’t even get the fan bracket from Dustin until about a year after my conversion. I had tossed all those parts by then and never looked into buying aftermarket.
I would definitely go to the mechanical fan it moved way move air than any electrical fan will.

Yeah mine runs hot in the 90+ temps off-roading or pulling my little camp trailer. I went camping the end of July and ran the needle right up to the red the whole trip over (100 deg day), I would have to turn the heat on to climb hills.

I have dual electric puller fans and one pusher fan on the AC condenser. I have an all aluminum 4 cor radiator that I need to get in but need to make a new fan shroud for it to see if that helps. I also noticed that I need to get a different lower temp thermostat, temps climb into the red before the stat opens.
i drilled 2 small holes in my tstat at 12 an 6 instead of buying a cooler one

Are you guys using the small bypass hose to radiator or blocking it off? I doubt it makes that much difference. Probably does same thing as drilling the thermostat.

Are you guys using the small bypass hose to radiator or blocking it off? I doubt it makes that much difference. Probably does same thing as drilling the thermostat.
Mine is blocked off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom