Another Cat Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have to replace my cat(s). Upon inspection, it looks like PO did a 2nd cat delete.

Is Magnaflow still the preferred after market cat? Is it 3x as good as a Walker?

Any reason to reinstall the missing cat?

if you need it to pass emission inspection than get one installed, if not then noting wrong with leaving it out. im assuming that since theres no mention of a check engine light that it is an obd 1 truck so no worries about setting the check engine light with out a cat

Most of the time the secondary cat is for California emissions. I doubt a tech is going to notice your secondary missing unless they know to look for it.

if you need it to pass emission inspection than get one installed, if not then noting wrong with leaving it out. im assuming that since theres no mention of a check engine light that it is an obd 1 truck so no worries about setting the check engine light with out a cat
Actually I have the P0420 code. 96 with OBD2 port. Shop said cat is gone and should be replaced

Actually I have the P0420 code. 96 with OBD2 port. Shop said cat is gone and should be replaced

then its going to come down to what you would need to pass inspection. in nj check engine light is a fail, other places its a visual inspection or the tail pipe test. if you can live with the check engine light on and will pass without it then your not going to hurt the truck running without one. if your not going to pass inspection with out it then youll want to get one installed so you can pass

then its going to come down to what you would need to pass inspection. in nj check engine light is a fail, other places its a visual inspection or the tail pipe test. if you can live with the check engine light on and will pass without it then your not going to hurt the truck running without one. if your not going to pass inspection with out it then youll want to get one installed so you can pass
Going to a singular cat does not mean you’ll have a check engine MIL.

Going to a singular cat does not mean you’ll have a check engine MIL.

thats true going to a single cat will keep the check engine light off but if its an area where there is a visual inspection it still may fail due to having only one vs having two as it came from the the factory. a little more research on the op side of what the local regulations and inspection requirement s are will give better direction than just "this guy on the forum said....."

The shop could be wrong. A P0420 does not always mean your cat is bad. It is a code that the sensor is not efficient. The computer decides if there is a problem with the sensor data stream and then sets the code. The sensor is the very last thing to see the exhaust gas before it goes out the tail pipe. There are a lot of things that can go wrong up stream from that point that will throw the p0420. Lazy sensor is one reason. A good scanner can see the data in real time and you will see the wave go up and down as the engine is running. Could be a fouled spark plug. Could be you need a tuneup. Could be a dripping / dirty injector. Could be a bad cat.

Cats ususally don't wear out. Something causes it to go bad. IF in fact it is melted, or broken to pieces. Just trying to say that a lot of shops throw parts at cars now adays and hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom