Another radiator question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey team, 97 lx450 , I’ve read thru many of the rad posts and am looking for any news, I’ve a slow steady leak in the oem rad. Replacing with either a dense, or other recommended brand. Please advise, current or rece results with csf? Other preferably all metal tanks? I live in Canada, warm in the summer ( not over 90 usually) very cold winters.

cheers Peter

I went with a Liland aluminum radiator.

Weather has hit damn-near 100 degrees and on my 6-7hr round trips last week, vehicle stayed nice and cool.

20230102_131431.jpg

Same as you, 97 LX. Would always prefer a standard OEM rad, but was over twice the price to get one here in Southeast AK. I did a lot of reading and decided to go with a Koyo, purchased through a dealer rather than eBay/Amazon. Fitment was great, even the hose nips were clocked the right direction, and OEM rad cap fits perfectly. Only three years in, but very happy.

If OEM price is no issue, that's what I'd do. Otherwise it seems like TYC & koyo are liked, if not going full aluminum like Ron Davis or Liland.

OEM TRad

Koyo, Arizona guys also have loved the TYC unit over the years, RockAuto is your friend

Last edited:
Hey team, 97 lx450 , I’ve read thru many of the rad posts and am looking for any news, I’ve a slow steady leak in the oem rad. Replacing with either a dense, or other recommended brand. Please advise, current or rece results with csf? Other preferably all metal tanks? I live in Canada, warm in the summer ( not over 90 usually) very cold winters.

cheers Peter
The OEM went from copper/brass 3 row to aluminum 2 row in '95. I would not recommend replacing your OEM aluminum radiator with a copper/brass CSF or any like it just because it's all metal. If you want all metal, bite the bullet and go all aluminum. (Quality ones are more $.) Aluminum is much superior to the copper/brass in heat transfer. Sure you live in northern climes, but when you come south for trips in the summer, you'll regret taking the step backward to copper/brass. I went with CSF to replace my '94 copper brass when it burst a seam. With the armor and 35" tires that I added, I couldn't run the A/C on the highway when temps climbed above 88F. And then's when it was really needed. An aluminum/plastic tank TYC fixed my issue after trying everything else on my cooling system. I kept my CSF as a backup to run if the TYC fails until I can get another CSF. I hate the plastic tanks, but until a reasonably priced, proven reliable all aluminum one comes along, I'll keep using the TYC. It's cheap, but reliable and cools better than OEM type radiators. Proven down in AZ, where extreme heat is a daily battle.

Thanks guys, oem in Canada is astronomical price, I’ve often went with Denso as I seem to be able to get parts from them reasonably. My gut likes an all metal rad even tho the plastic tanks lasted since 97. I will check out rock auto and Leland. How was the fitment on that Leland?

The OEM went from copper/brass 3 row to aluminum 2 row in '95. I would not recommend replacing your OEM aluminum radiator with a copper/brass CSF or any like it just because it's all metal. If you want all metal, bite the bullet and go all aluminum. (Quality ones are more $.) Aluminum is much superior to the copper/brass in heat transfer. Sure you live in northern climes, but when you come south for trips in the summer, you'll regret taking the step backward to copper/brass. I went with CSF to replace my '94 copper brass when it burst a seam. With the armor and 35" tires that I added, I couldn't run the A/C on the highway when temps climbed above 88F. And then's when it was really needed. An aluminum/plastic tank TYC fixed my issue after trying everything else on my cooling system. I kept my CSF as a backup to run if the TYC fails until I can get another CSF. I hate the plastic tanks, but until a reasonably priced, proven reliable all aluminum one comes along, I'll keep using the TYC. It's cheap, but reliable and cools better than OEM type radiators. Proven down in AZ, where extreme heat is a daily battle.
Interesting I’m not familiar with tyc, it may be the ticket. Will check them out, any fav vendor?

Interesting I’m not familiar with tyc, it may be the ticket. Will check them out, any fav vendor?
I got mine at Amazon. As @OGBeno mentioned, shipping has it's hazards. But the TYC are well packaged, and if damaged, can be returned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom