Another carb question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright guys, here’s what I’ve got:

Working on a 72’ fj40 for a buddy; completely stock. Had the carb rebuilt by a reputable builder and it was ported for vacuum advance. Added a brand new Toyota vacuum advance distributor and Pertronix ignition.

Installed the carb and distributor, set timing and it idles at 650 RPM. Idles and runs smooth UNTIL you transition from 3/4 to FULL throttle, then it stumbles for a split second and picks back up. 18” of vacuum on the gauge at about 800’ elevation. When I pull the choke, the stumble goes away when transitioning to full throttle.

Other issues: when the engine is at operating temp, and I rev the engine up it pours black smoke out the exhaust. I’ve noted the fuel level is more than 3/4” of the way to the top of the sight glass (I’ll add a photo).

Accelerator pump produces a decent stream, but it also produces several smaller streams that seem to be shooting out around the deal, but inside the carb. New plugs, wires, and I even tried a different coil after verifying correct voltage to the coil. No vacuum leaks and cable/linkage all smooth.

My question is does anyone think the overfull bowl is causing the stumble at full throttle? I don’t mind readjusting the float level, but I’m concerned the accelerator spray pattern may also be an issue so I don’t want to take things apart and have the rebuilder blame me for messing something up.

And yes, I reached out to the builder, had a few conversations around trouble shooting, but haven’t heard back in several weeks after leaving multiple messages.

Buddy is ready to have his cruiser back, so I’d like to get this figured out. Thanks!
38855930-1813-42A6-82EE-6F47A2CAC74F.jpeg

Stumble at WOT sounds like a secondary issue. Check the mechanical opening of the secondary to sticking. It could also be a lack of fuel at the secondary transition slot. It is hard to check this, but it would be due to the passages being clogged or the secondary not closing all the way.

Stumble at WOT sounds like a secondary issue. Check the mechanical opening of the secondary to sticking. It could also be a lack of fuel at the secondary transition slot. It is hard to check this, but it would be due to the passages being clogged or the secondary not closing all the way.
Thank you.

Was told to check vacuum at wide open throttle and I’m seeing 2” of vacuum. Rebuilder said it shouldn’t go less than 3.” Still seeing 18” overall, but the miss at 3/4-full throttle is still there.
Any suggestions?

Is it also RPM dependent? 3/4 throttle going up hill in 4th gear is a different RPM than on the flat in 3Rd gear. If it is RPM dependent, then it could be a sticky centrifugal advance in the distributor.

Is the secondary opening? Is fuel dribbling out of the secondary nozzle at idle? If so, then the secondary is not closing all the way.

@Pin_Head not RPM dependent. It’ll do it off idle in 1st and in 2nd and 3rd, no matter where you are in the RPM range. Distributor is brand new Toyota with brand new Pertronix.

I’ll check to see if fuel dribbles at idle, but the secondaries seem to open all the way when I move them by hand. I’ll make sure they’re closing too.

What’s frustrating is this wasn’t an issue before I sent it off for the rebuild.

I have a troll hole carb on my boys’ cruiser, so I’m gonna swap them out to confirm.

Swapping carbs is a good idea.

If it doesn’t do it with the new carb, then chances are that the rebuild is botched and the secondary transition fuel circuit is clogged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom